The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Heritage Books

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Heritage Books

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Heritage Books, a geneaology and local history publisher in Maryland?

http://www.heritagebooks.com

Preditors & Editors lists them as "not recommended" but I can't tell on what criteria, and I'm looking for a little more info.

Thank you for any assistance you could provide.

practical experience, FTW Peggy's Avatar
    I don't know why it is "not recommended" but it does appear to be a large publisher in genealogy. It is actually part of Willow Bend Books. They apparently closed their retail store to focus on publishing.

http://eogn.typepad.com/eastmans_onl...ge_booksw.html

I doubt any of the books they sell would qualify as best sellers, since they target a very specialized group of readers. Also, if you look at their submission information (http://www.heritagebooks.com/publishing.htm) they say:
    Rejection - We must reject outright some proposals we receive simply because they are clearly outside the range of subject matter or time frame that we can effectively market. We do not offer any editorial critique on rejected proposals. However, we can offer assistance if you are interested in self-publishing the work. (emphasis mine)
    It sounds like they may funnel "rejects" into a pay-to-print business (just a guess on my part).

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Thank you!

Theirs is actually a market I'm interested in reaching, so the specialty aspect is not necessarily a downside. I have no delusions I'm writing a bestseller.

A.

practical experience, FTW Peggy's Avatar
    It's probably worth trying to find out why P&E gave them a "Not Recommended" , since I just took a guess. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in here.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Why not ask Dave directly?

It isn't necessary that you want to have a best seller for you to want to publish your book as well as possible.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post

... Also, if you look at their submission information (http://www.heritagebooks.com/publishing.htm) they say:
    Rejection - We must reject outright some proposals we receive simply because they are clearly outside the range of subject matter or time frame that we can effectively market. We do not offer any editorial critique on rejected proposals. However, we can offer assistance if you are interested in self-publishing the work. (emphasis mine)
    It sounds like they may funnel "rejects" into a pay-to-print business (just a guess on my part).
    The next tier is equally iffy:

Guarantee Acceptance - Book proposals that are narrow in scope and have a limited market we accept on a guarantee sales basis when possible. The usual conditions are: a) that the author provides acceptable camera-ready copy for the book, and b) that the author guarantees to purchase a predetermined number of copies of the work on a non-royalty basis.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Missed this the first time around: authors must register copyright themselves.
    COPYRIGHT

We print the copyright notice on the back of the title page along with other publishing data. We do not register the copyright with the Library of Congress, but we do send them two copies of each book, which is required by law. If you wish to register the copyright, you may obtain information about the law, registration form, and fee from the Register of Copyrights, Library of Congress, Washington, DC 20559.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: