• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Creative Artists Agency

bookgeek

Vicarious is my middle name.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amywritesstuff.wordpress.com
I'm a member of a local writer's group. Someone from an agency called Creative Artists Agency posted to the group saying their agency was seeking writers. I've googled "creative artists agency" and it looks like it's more of a hollywood/talent agent company.

I'm confused about many things: Would a Hollywood talent agent company represent writers? Or is a literary agency about to be sued for trademark violations? Should I be concerned at all? Will it ever stop raining today?

I read the index first and didn't see Creative Artists Agency listed. I also went back about 30 pages and didn't see anything about them, so I hope I'm not double posting about a company that's already been posted about. If I am, I apologize and I will do 100 jumping jacks on very hot coals to atone for my mistake.

I just don't want anyone in my writer's group to get taken for a ride, you know?

The link to their website is: http://www.thecreativeartistsagency.com/

Alternately, the link to the Hollywood agency website is http://www.caa.com.

It does kind of look like they could be related since CAA does say it represents literary talent. But why would they have a seperate website for that? See? Confused. I blame low barometric pressure.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The usual questions should be asked.
Do they showcase work they've handled on their site or list their clients?
Are they specific about which genres they have expertise in?
Have you seen any book they represented on the shelves of a bookstore?
Do they document on the site the agents' experience in the publishing industry?

All of the answers appear to be no. I think you know what to do.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I have no answers (aside from agreeing with waylander to ask lots of questions). However I did visit the site, and to be honest a site that doesn't tell you who their list of authors are, and explains why one NEEDS an agent, usually is a sign of a no-no. I'm not saying anything definite, it's just the site is written and reads like the scam sites I have looked at, though on the surface I don't see any scam (and I totally apologise to them if I am misreading things, one just becomes really really careful because of all the badness on the web). My two cents.

bookgeek

Vicarious is my middle name.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amywritesstuff.wordpress.com
Thanks for the feedback you all. I got my answer in a flurry of emails between the poster of the "agency" and the leader of my writer's group--she shared with the members. By the 2nd response, it's painfully obvious that person who posted the link information to this agency is obviously creepy and suspicious.

What a world, what a world.

*sigh*

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Hey at least you found out before it was too late!

It really is a good world out there. I think that's why it's so easy to be prey to scammers, we are used to the goodness. (Optomistic, but I know a lot of really amazing people)

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Their e-mail address is not readable to my eyes, I had to go to <View> <Source> to be able to find it and read it.

It is: mailto:[email protected]

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
This person must be really low.

It is impossible for them to be so incompetent that they'd never heard of the 'real' Creative Artists Agency, so the only explanation I can think of is that they deliberately chose their name to cause confusion. Certainly a tactic that ensures that they have no credibility.

Others using that PO Box in Atlanta have included a 'Visual Voices Poetry Society' (Contact person: [email protected]) & 'Odyssey Books' (Contact person: Raven Dupre )

Very sadly, 'Raven Dupre' seems to be represented by ... The Children's Literary Agency.

Scam Victim turned scammer ?

Mac

Ref:
* http://www.blackxchange.net/listingaction.cfm?id=671
* http://www.zwire.com/site/community.cfm?BRD=1077&Pag=562&WebSite__ID=5602&dept_id=237875
* http://www.demetriabrandon.com/db2006-july_006.htm

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Red flags:

- No info on who's behind the agency. Real agencies name the agents.

- No sign of sales.

- A call for "new and unpublished authors." Always a warning sign.

- Checking META tags can be instructive. Here are just a few: "new authors, literary agency, science fiction, poetry collections, poetry, get published, editing services". Poetry collections--'nuff said.

- Checking domain name registration can also be instructive. According to Whois, the registrant is Raven Dupre of the Nodnarb Agency. Googling Nodnarb doesn't lead anywhere, but googling Raven Dupre leads here, which in turn leads here (and see the sad information here).

My guess: well-intentioned but clueless.

- Victoria

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else automatically note that Nodnarb is Brandon backwards? :rolleyes:

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
I'm having a bad enough day dealing with Nanowrimo problems..So now I find this in my email box as I send out a message to the Denver Meetup group regarding this agency.

Michelle I would advise you to consult an attorney before you continue to circulate false and slanderous information about our agency. You have no right to discredit us, simply because you are an angry failed writer. How we run or operate our company is strictly our choice. We don't owe you "Nancy Drew" an explanation. We have various listings, which specifically advise potential client that we do not charge a reading fee. So, the information you have posted is misleading. You should reconsider your axe with our company. What is your problem anyway? Too may rejections?

Chandra Bullock

I'm not going to answer...in email. I'm too upset anyway. this will probably get a blog entry.

While I'm trying to publish short stories and novels, I do consider myself successful despite rejections..because I have written successful gaming modules, in house documents for companies I've worked for and published articles.

Sigh...Just back away.

Last edited:

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
You should reconsider your axe with our company.

Huh? As in "axe to grind?" Yeesh.

I'm having NaNo problems too. Welcome to the NaNo grind! ;-)

Last edited:

Nippy

Big OOPS! Michelle

Michelle, you are posting inaccurate information about The Creative Artists Agency (http://www.thecreativeartistsagency.com) located in Atlanta. The company is not an affliate of CAA (http://www.caa.com) of Beverly Hills, CA. What you are doing is dangerous and misleading. You are bad-mouthing this company without cause. Have they rejected your work? What is your beef with them?

Nippy

To assume is to make an _ _ _ of yourself! Give it a rest. The companies are NOT the same.

Nippy

bookgeek said:
I'm a member of a local writer's group. Someone from an agency called Creative Artists Agency posted to the group saying their agency was seeking writers. I've googled "creative artists agency" and it looks like it's more of a hollywood/talent agent company.

I'm confused about many things: Would a Hollywood talent agent company represent writers? Or is a literary agency about to be sued for trademark violations? Should I be concerned at all? Will it ever stop raining today?

I read the index first and didn't see Creative Artists Agency listed. I also went back about 30 pages and didn't see anything about them, so I hope I'm not double posting about a company that's already been posted about. If I am, I apologize and I will do 100 jumping jacks on very hot coals to atone for my mistake.

I just don't want anyone in my writer's group to get taken for a ride, you know?

The link to their website is: http://www.thecreativeartistsagency.com/

Alternately, the link to the Hollywood agency website is http://www.caa.com.

It does kind of look like they could be related since CAA does say it represents literary talent. But why would they have a seperate website for that? See? Confused. I blame low barometric pressure.

A mind that winds like a clock will never stop. It's idle!

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I think that we're pretty clear that The Creative Artists Agency in Beverly Hills is not affiliated in any way with The Creative Artists Agency in Atlanta, despite the identical names.

I have very strong misgivings about the Atlanta folks.

Nippy, I've got the strangest feeling that you're somehow associated with the Atlanta CAA. Could you tell us the titles/authors of some of the books they've placed with publishers?

Nippy

James D. Macdonald said:
I think that we're pretty clear that The Creative Artists Agency in Beverly Hills is not affiliated in any way with The Creative Artists Agency in Atlanta, despite the identical names.

I have very strong misgivings about the Atlanta folks.

Nippy, I've got the strangest feeling that you're somehow associated with the Atlanta CAA. Could you tell us the titles/authors of some of the books they've placed with publishers?

Not so fast Jim. I simply think you all have too much time on your hands. There are a total of three companies with the same names (probably more).
http://www.creativeartistsagency.com
http://www.thecreativeartistsagency.com
http://www.caa.com

Having the same name does not make any of these companies a part of a crime ring or scam. Which of us can provide proof that we or anyone we know have been taken for a ride? I can't. Therefore, I'm silent. Are you to be confused with Jim McDonald in the report at http://www.5thestate.com/060310.htm. If not, why should the "Atlanta Folks"?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
For starters, Nippy, that fellow you mention spells his name differently from mine.

Now, how about it? What books has the Atlanta Creative Artists Agency sold?

Title, author, publisher, date.

Atomic Bear

the Bruin of Tomorrow™
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atomicbearpress.com
Tirjasdyn said:
I'm having a bad enough day dealing with Nanowrimo problems..So now I find this in my email box as I send out a message to the Denver Meetup group regarding this agency.
I'm not going to answer...in email. I'm too upset anyway. this will probably get a blog entry.

While I'm trying to publish short stories and novels, I do consider myself successful despite rejections..because I have written successful gaming modules, in house documents for companies I've worked for and published articles.

Sigh...Just back away.

Tirjasdyn, glad that you posted the email here. What Ms. Bullock wrote is proof that you don't want to work with her or her company. The letter was unprofessional and threatening, besides being written like a small child who is not getting their way.

Good luck with your Nanowrimo novel.

Euan H.

Unspeakable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
euanharvey.com
How strange. Four posts by Nippy--all in this thread and all today. Surely Nippy couldn't be a sockpuppet? Say it ain't so!

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Euan, how could you suggest such a thing? :e2faint: You must be an angry failed writer with an axe and a mind like a winding clock!

Y'know what the other thing is that interests me... James didn't name himself. The Creative Artists Agency, however, did. If a new lit agency is unaware of CAA-- one of the biggest, most prestigious agencies in existence-- that's a terrible sign. If a new lit agency is perfectly aware of it and is naming themselves after it to cause confusion and ride others' coattails-- well, that's an even worse sign.

I'm thinking about taking on a pen name. J. K. Rowling has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Incidentally, one of those "Creative Artists Agency" links Nippy gave (http://www.creativeartistsagency.com) doesn't seem to exist. Pinging it fails. It isn't linked anywhere on the Google-indexed web. So ... that isn't a very good example.

Yo, Nippy -- you never did tell us if you have any sort of relationship with Creative Artists Agency (Atlanta).

Now about those reading fees. It says right on your website that you don't charge reading fees. Very good! Do you happen to charge administrative fees, evaluation fees, office fees, submission fees, or cheese-and-crackers fees?

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Michelle I would advise you to consult an attorney before you continue to circulate false and slanderous information about our agency.

Even if she were legit, I wouldn't want to work with an agent who doesn't know the difference between slander and libel.