Help a newbie out and talk to me about pictures.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebaymomma

First let me say - I am so glad I found this forum. After a year of sitting on a book, I am in search of an agent. I have never published before, so I am seeking information to help educate myself on a few things. I think I have found the right place!

Here is the thing - I will need lots of pictures for reference in my book.

I assume that I can't type a Google image search and just pluck one off of the Internet, right?;)

The pictures I need are of collectible items that have sold on eBay. So, for instance I write about a Goebel angel figure, do I need to contact Goebel directly and ask "permission" and for a good copy of the picture?

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
The experience I have is for my website, but I believe the copyright implications are the same. If you want to use their pictures, then yes, you will need to contact them. Since it is for a book, it might be that the publisher handles this.

IF you happened to own the item, you could take your own picture of it, but the publisher will probably want something more professional than that.

My understanding of how it works is that the publisher decides what images, etc are used, and you might have the chance to provide suggestions. But I might be wrong.

ebaymomma

You really think the publisher will handle all the photos? My book needs a lot of pictures.....which I currently have on my PC (I just saved them for my own refrence from lots of different places).

You see the thing is my book is more of a small, paperback, stick it in your purse guide, that will require TONS of pictures - look at this example (not mine) Here ~

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
This would be a good question for "Ask the Editor." My (small) experience has been that I provide suggestions for illustrations but the publisher is responsible for having them drawn or photographed.

In any case, since non-fiction submissions are proposals, not completed manuscripts, you don't need to worry about illustrations until you have a contract, and then you can negotiate with the publisher on the question of illustrations when you negotiate the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.