AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Uncial Press

Don't Call Me Sweetheart

Uncial Press

Anybody know anything about these guys?

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
    Yep.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    It's an e-book publisher.

Have you ever read any of their books? Have any of your friends ever read any of them?

Next thing to do: take the copy of their contract. Print it out. Highlight those things that the author must do or supply, then highlight (in a different color) the things that the publisher must do or supply.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Looks like an e-self-publisher turned e-publisher. I keep an eye on the romance epub area and haven't heard of them until now.
    Emily Veinglory

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
    It seems they just started this month. Their contract is very author-friendly--the only thing the author is required to supply is the copyright registration, and in all events rights transfer back to the author.

However, I always hear about e-publishers going under. Are there any warning signs to look out for?

They do not infact require you to register if you opt not to and accept responsibility--this may not be a wonderful clause but it is common in epublishing.

Epublsihers do go under, more commonly they can go on for years but sell only a handful of books. I suggest shoppign around, making a short list of publishers and asking the gals and guys in the romance subforum which ones they would recommend.

I see nothing overtly wrong with uncial but might their be others you should try first?
    Emily Veinglory

practical experience, FTW Provrb1810meggy's Avatar
    Now that they've been around for a few months, and seem to have quite a few books out, does anyone have any experience, more information, or opinions on them? Thanks!
    Come check out my blog: http://meganetcetera.blogspot.com

They look about the same to me. A publisher run by un-named people in a crowded market place of romance e-publishing (with a side line in other genres) and still attracting negligible attention. I would suggest asking their authors if they are selling any books at all.
    Emily Veinglory

Sockpuppet

Anyone heard of this publisher?

What do you think of Uncial Press? Worthwhile submiting to or what?

Sockpuppet
    This from the Piers Anthony site:

UNCIAL PRESS - I understand that this is a startup founded by two competent editors from Awe-Struck. It will release its first titles on October 2006. Present needs are for Georgian, Regency, Victorian, and Western American Historical Romance, Fantasy/Paranormal, mysteries, and nonfiction books and humor. Query if you have something else; they might be interested. They hope to respond to all manuscripts within 60 days; nag them if they don't. Royalties are 42% on books sold from the publisher's site, less otherwise. They have a sample contract, and it has an audit clause.
    http://www.hipiers.com/publishing.html#U1
    Last edited by Villiers.V; 11-08-2007 at 04:51 AM.

Anyone have anything recent for this ebook publisher?
    http://www.kathleensallen.weebly.com

Blog: http://www.kathleensallen.wordpress.com

Twitter: @kathleea

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/kathleea/

Books available online and in print
    Book trailers available on You Tube

I have one book with Uncial. Not terrific numbers but a good solid publisher that has opted for natural growth, rather than forcing it and maybe finding itself in the same situation as other small epubs. Certainly never been a self publishing unit.

Lynne Connolly

part of the human equation sheadakota's Avatar
    Bump

Just wondering if there is anyone with any new info about this publisher. I got an invitation from them to query after they have read a pubbed book of mine.
    Re-Release of the COYOTE MOON SERIES!
    Fallen available print and ebook
    Through the Glass Available July 2014
    The Coyote's Song- Available August 2014
    Socrate's Child-COMING Summer 2015!
    Broken - March 13th 2015!

My Website

Fallen is a taut, hard driving, edge of your seat thiller.
    Michael Wiley, author of The Last Striptease

Bump again. Does anyone have any new info about Uncial Press?

Quote Originally Posted by sheadakota View Post
    Bump

Just wondering if there is anyone with any new info about this publisher. I got an invitation from them to query after they have read a pubbed book of mine.

Sheadakota, did you end up querying them?
    J.B. Kantt

WIW (~70K), TZS (~83K), SP (~53K), and ZT (~52K) : Shelved ... For Now

RAR: Now Available on Amazon! (~62K words)

TSW
    : Querying

ZA: Outlined, will be written soon

Stop by my blog sometime!
    J.A.Y.A.! (Journey of an Aspiring Young Author)

part of the human equation sheadakota's Avatar
    They actually contacted me. I was a little hesitant at first, but they picked up 5 of my books that the rights were reverted back to me, and another not yet published. Their editor is amazing. They are a small press and only publish two books a month, but that means you get a, lot of attention when it's your turn. I'm not getting rich but that wasn't my expectation. I'm glad I decided to go with them.
    Re-Release of the COYOTE MOON SERIES!
    Fallen available print and ebook
    Through the Glass Available July 2014
    The Coyote's Song- Available August 2014
    Socrate's Child-COMING Summer 2015!
    Broken - March 13th 2015!

My Website

Fallen is a taut, hard driving, edge of your seat thiller.
    Michael Wiley, author of The Last Striptease

Quote Originally Posted by sheadakota View Post
    They actually contacted me. I was a little hesitant at first, but they picked up 5 of my books that the rights were reverted back to me, and another not yet published. Their editor is amazing. They are a small press and only publish two books a month, but that means you get a, lot of attention when it's your turn. I'm not getting rich but that wasn't my expectation. I'm glad I decided to go with them.
    That's awesome, sheadakota. Congrats!
    J.B. Kantt

WIW (~70K), TZS (~83K), SP (~53K), and ZT (~52K) : Shelved ... For Now

RAR: Now Available on Amazon! (~62K words)

TSW
    : Querying

ZA: Outlined, will be written soon

Stop by my blog sometime!
    J.A.Y.A.! (Journey of an Aspiring Young Author)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Hi, does anyone have any new info on Uncial Press?

Hi. I decided to sign up with them. My book Ascension is due out in February. So far their Editor, Jude, has been absolutely fantastic to work with. Keep your fingers crossed the sales will be equally good!

So glad to hear such positive feedback on Uncial Press! I queried them in mid-August and just got offered a contract. I like the looks of their catalog and their editor seems very nice and knowledgeable as well. I don't expect to get rich off this, by any means, but I haven't been ready to turn to self-publishing so I'm please to get the offer.

Behind the door of a small house.
    Quote Originally Posted by lorwish View Post
    So glad to hear such positive feedback on Uncial Press! I queried them in mid-August and just got offered a contract. I like the looks of their catalog and their editor seems very nice and knowledgeable as well. I don't expect to get rich off this, by any means, but I haven't been ready to turn to self-publishing so I'm please to get the offer.
    Not for nothing, but if you look at the Amazon sales ranks for the most recent authors on this thread who have books out from Uncial, you might ask yourself how effective they are at selling books. Sales ranks are in the millions and most of the Uncial Press books have only 1-3 reviews.

It's theoretically possible books are being sold elsewhere, but if Amazon is a big part of their sales channeling, then it doesn't look like more than a handful of each book are being sold.

Have they provided you with average sales numbers?