Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: What exactly is the 'family saga' genre?

What exactly is the 'family saga' genre?

I often see 'family saga' listed as a genre (usually as a sub-genre within commercial fiction) and am wondering....what are the typical key elements within a novel that just scream 'family saga'?

Rob

practical experience, FTW aghast's Avatar
    think godfather

Quote Originally Posted by aghast
    think godfather
    Well, technically, yes, though that's not what I first think of when I think family saga!

"Family Saga" implies several generations of one family, all interacting. The story might start in the 1930's and end up with the great-grandchildren of that family in modern times. A great example is The Forsyte Saga.
    They are usually big, fat, luscious books, with a big family mansion in the centre of the action, and a gorgeous landscape. Susan Howatch wrote several family sagas set in Cornwall, Wales, Ireland.
    Usually they are not as bloody as the Godfather. Mostly gentle, sometimes melodramatic action though there may be a murder and several deaths - but that is not the centre of the story. One or several love stories take place in a family saga, but again, that is not the main focus. The focus is the family as a unit, and usually the place/
    The World's First Epic Fantasy -- written 3000 years ago!
    Out Now:
    The Small Fortune of Dorothea Q

Website
    Facebook
    Amazon US
    Amazon UK

Do you know what you are? You are a manuscript of a divine letter. You are a mirror reflecting a noble face. This universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you are already that ...
    ~ Rumi

Thanks, Aruna. What about something that's based solely in the present, but deals a lot with a man unraveling family history & deals with a family legacy? Would that be something I can call a family saga?

Quote Originally Posted by rwam
    Thanks, Aruna. What about something that's based solely in the present, but deals a lot with a man unraveling family history & deals with a family legacy? Would that be something I can call a family saga?
    A family saga is usually long. If he is unravelling the family history you'll have to go back in time - and dramatise that history, ie bring in other characters etc.
    The World's First Epic Fantasy -- written 3000 years ago!
    Out Now:
    The Small Fortune of Dorothea Q

Website
    Facebook
    Amazon US
    Amazon UK

Do you know what you are? You are a manuscript of a divine letter. You are a mirror reflecting a noble face. This universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you are already that ...
    ~ Rumi

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rwam
    Good question. My impression is that family sagas usually involve multiple generations of the same family--so I would (cautiously) guess not.

- Victoria

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Family saga may have many generations or most of one life in the context of the family past and/or future family. It is typically set in a tumultuous period in history and the individual story interacts with the historical events. So Little House on the Prairie, but also Flags of Our Fathers.

Thanks, Gang....I think that's enough to tell me mine is probably not a 'family saga'.