• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

R. J. Buckley Publishing / Blackfeet Publishing

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
cc

Last edited:

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
From what I do know it will not be doing business until sometime next year.

Regards,
Scott

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think so.

Blackfeet Publishing is a new company, formed to house various imprints, the first being Purple Iris. The founder of this company, Rebecca Buckley, is of Blackfeet origin through her Mother's ancestors and she has also studied the tribe and it's history, as well as written of it. Thus the choice of name.

Purple Iris Publishing is a printer plus, at present, with plans of becoming a full-blown publisher as time goes on and business and staff increase. It is the desire of this publish/print house to provide avenues for its authors on which to stride towards bestseller-dom. But reaching our ultimate desire will take more time, experience and knowledge. However, at the onset, we will be selective of the works we accept and we will edit thoroughly.

Finding someone to publish a book of poetry is usually a difficult task. Poets usually self-publish, unless they have notoriety or are famous. Watching a television bio of Sylvia Plath just recently has only reinforced the desire to provide recourse to our emotionally sensitive, artistic poets.

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
Let's see. A straight-from-template presentation, typos, awkward prose, and a possible copyright violation, all on the front page. Several pages under construction. And this should pretty much tell you everything you need to know about this company:

Purple Iris Publishing is a printer plus, at present, with plans of becoming a full-blown publisher as time goes on and business and staff increase.

Rebecca Buckley was inspired and wrote LOVE HAS A PRICE TAG after writing a short story that was accepted by Amazon Shorts, and while communicating with fellow authors on writers' messageboards. One of which is the Wizards of Words' messageboard, which is her home board, one she created. She was instantly compelled to write more shorts, and became so enthralled with the new medium; she set aside the novel she was writing to ready this book for publication.

I will also never understand the appeal of white text on an electric blue (or electric anything) background.

Last edited:

Alien Enigma

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
James D. Macdonald said:
I'm going to look into my crystal ball.

Somewhere there's a person (with the best intentions in the world and the biggest heart!) who's planning (based on her experience in publishing her own book a couple of months ago with Lulu.com) to become a publisher! She's planning to specialized in poetry collections and short story anthologies, but she's open to novels.

A year from now a whole bunch of people are going to be saying "Why didn't you warn me?"

Jimmy, you shouldn't run your mouth so much. Didn't the August interview teach you any lesson at all?

Rebecca Buckley had this to say about the rumors: Before I go back and read the latest posts on this thread, since it appears to be about me and Capri . . . I just want to say that the only desire I have at this moment in connection with Capri is to spend at least a month on the Isle of Capri across the seas, very soon. I think if you'll re-read anything I've written or responded to on these threads regarding Capri Publishing it's that I wish the young lady much luck and hope she can get the help she needs to make her company work. Am I taking on Capri Publishing? Not to my knowledge, it has never been discussed. I suspect our usual "group" is out there spreading the word to see what havoc they can wreak before the upcoming launch of my own publishing house. We all know who "they" are. It'll take all my own resources to run my own company, by the way. AND . . . I believe in having all my ducks in a row before I start a company, and when Purple Iris Publisher is launched, you can believe that that will be the case. I would suggest that if you hear or read such rumors that you try to get to the source of them. And I would appreciate it if any of you have read it on another messageboard that you please cut and paste the above and place it there. Thank you.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Jimmy, you shouldn't run your mouth so much. Didn't the August interview teach you any lesson at all?

Did it teach me that you don't have a clue what you're talking about? Nope. I already knew that.

So, you're associated in some way with Buckley? Alien, all I know about Black Iris is what I read on their site. What it told me is that it's another startup by another clueless amateur.

Folks, that's a serious warning sign, right there. If you have respect for your books, if you have respect for yourselves, stay far away.

Here's what Alien there had to say about Capri:

I've heard a lot of good things about Capri Publishing.

We already know that (for some reason that he won't or can't give) he likes PublishAmerica.

Y'all can see exactly what his opinion, what his word, is worth.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The full quote is: "I'm a professional writer. I tell lies to total strangers for money."

You can get the tee-shirt if you like.

Sorry if the truth stings, Alien.

Capri turned out to be a dud. Black Iris (which needs its own thread here, I think) will go down the same path.

It's okay to throw your own books away. Really, it is. But when you set up as a publisher without knowing what you're doing you're throwing other people's books away too, and that's not right.

Alien Enigma

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Now that we have discovered you tell lies, I never signed with Capri Publishing. At the time I did hear good things about the company. I didn't like the direction things were going so I never signed. Some were not as fortunate, but I was able to see through it.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You were "able to see through it"? That's why you endorsed them?

Alien, that's beyond pathetic.

And you've discovered that I write fiction. Woo! Go, you! That's why folks back home call you "Sherlock," isn't it?

Alien Enigma

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I "endorsed" them on favorable opinions and gestures I had received. I held off on signing the contract and didn't sign. It's simple really, bud. As far as the fiction writer part. I never saw that in your quote. I saw a professional writer. A professional writer could be a newspaper person, fiction writer, or a tabloid person. I don't know what you do when you're not writing Spaceman stuff. You said what you said, don't try to weasle out of it. Words are words. You said it. ;)

Alien Enigma

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Actually, Jimmy it was fun trading barbs with you. The thread seems to be waving off topic and I think we should keep it on Capri Publishing. As much fun as it was trading witty responses, I have some things to do now. Best of luck to ya'.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Who's "weasling" Alien?

The quote, if anyone wants to see it, is here: http://www.mindsightseries.com/cgi-...on=view_profile&profile=jamesdmacdonald-users

Capri is a dud. It's been obvious from day one.

Other publishers have the same signs and symptoms. They're duds too -- it's just that they haven't yet flamed out. Take your warning right here and now. Don't go with them, either.

Unless you want to throw your book away.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Rebecca has a previous book out from PublishAmerica. ISBN 1413767680.

Right now she's involved with "Wizards of Words."

Ask yourself: Do you want the person who wrote this ...

The interest upsurge in short stories is becoming more and more obvious by the advent of the Amazon Shorts Program as well as other web sites devoting space to short story writers, either in contests or for publication. Books of short stories are perfect for readers who are scarce on time or attention span and would like to read a quality story from beginning to end at one brief sitting. In today's frantic, fast-paced world, the short story may be the answer. Satisfying, entertaining and riveting prose in short story form has more than once been made into award-winning film projects. For instance, "Brokeback Mountain", Annie Proulx's tale of bittersweet love.

We, at PURPLE IRIS, wish to perpetuate the trend and soon we will be accepting collections of short stories and poetry for publication.

... to be editing your book?

Last edited:

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Alien Enigma said:
I "endorsed" them on favorable opinions and gestures I had received.
Alien, you do an invaluable service to this board. You have an unerring ability to back losers. Any "endorsement" you give becomes automatically suspect. Keep up the good work.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
James D. Macdonald said:

at the site, I saw this:

" Tor, Roc, Ace, Ballantine/Ivy, HarperCollins, Troll, Forge, Scholastic, Warner, and others."

If I tell convincing lies to these people just as Jim has, I assume most people here would be very impressed and Jenna would let me open a thread on how to tell lies for fun and profit.

But since I haven't, YET, I will be satisfied with basking in the glow of others who have gone before me and learn from their lies.

So, Jim, when is your next lie going to be printed and read by thousands?

David Erlewine

Registered
Reaction score
warning to all writers

At some point soon a political action committee (or PAC as "some" call them) needs to stop worrying about the ozone or Iraq and focus on how all these liars and scammers are somehow ripping off the public by making money off lies. I mean, where is Tipper Gore when you need her? How can our children grow up in a world where authors like "Jimmy" are able to laugh about ripping unsuspecting readers off? My son, oh my poor sweet son. Who gets to explain to him that Harold Potter isn't out there somewhere....

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Poor Jeff. First he goes with a printer who disdains him, puts a hideously high price on his short book, and then favors him with a one buck advance and no marketing (he thinks all this is swell by the way; either a sign of clueless stupidity or unrepentant toadying). Then he endorses another printer that spectacularly explodes on the launch pad. The guy's the literary equivalent of a mine canary.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
:munches popcorn:

This Thread is way better than any daytime soap. I'm just waiting for the Big Reveal that Rebecca's 94 year old husband is also the father of Alien Enigma ...