• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

BluewaterPress, LLC

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with them? I got the name from the 2006 Writer's Market. They are asking for more information on a book proposal I sent them. I went to their website. They are new and the website is pretty miniscule.

I don't know whether to be excited or beware.

Lavinia

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
I'm responding to myself. I think I've been had. I believe this is a self-publishing company, though it doesn't say that on the site. There are red flags going up all over the place for me. The site is very basic, as I said, but has errors in grammar too. I went to their published books and found they have one. When I looked that book up, I came across a site where the author apparently entered it in a contest for self-published books. The author is the publisher of this company. I read an exerpt and it's bad. It's a great idea and story but not written well. The place on their site for "books in the works" lists four titles, all of which are tied to the publishing company. Am I reading too much in to this? Doing a google search revealed that most of the sites were BookSurge. I didn't know what that was until I looked up (above) just now and see that yes it is a self-publishing company. I am so sad. I had my hopes so high up. I told my family. I jumped up and down (literally). But it wasn't real. Oh well, thank God for the internet! Back to writing I guess...

Lavinia

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there Lavinia. Sending you a hug through the computer. Got it?

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I was going to post, but since my wording would have been practically the same as AW's, I won't bother now ... ;)

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! On the bright side, it only took me a few hours to have that first red flag raised and less than 12 hours to figure it all out. I wasted last night and this morning researching it, but better that than hours editing, money sending and hopes up for months before a reply.

Also on the bright side, I had virtually given up on publishing this one. I was on to other projects, so it doesn't feel like such a loss.

I actually feel pretty good now, after notifying my family (Mom, Dad, kids, husband), and so forth. Somehow I feel more hopeful than ever before. That pure joy of an acceptance like that, even though it wasn't real, made me realize that it could happen. It could happen just like that...when you least expect it...when your son is playing outside and you're getting ready to go to a football game... when dinner hasn't quite made it to the oven yet and dishes are piled in the sink...when the wind is blowing splashes of autumn leaves onto the porch...On a day like any other day it could happen...only this time it will be real. And it will happen! It will! For all of us!

Oh, but I do have a question. Is it normal for a company like this to be listed under small presses? Now I'm reluctant to use a small press again. Any advice on that? Is there a list of legitimate small presses somewhere other than the Writer's Market?

Take Care Everyone and Keep Writing!

Lavinia

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
You can check out Preditors and Editors at anoltherealm.com/prededitors. They have a list of publishers, just steer clear of the ones marked "Strongly Not Recommended."

Google will always be your friend. Writer's Market is a great place to start, but always look further. Plug in the name of the company in quotes, with an addition of words such as 'warning', 'scam', 'beware', and you can find out all kinds of stuff. With new companies, google the name of the owner, as well.

I'm glad to see that your spirit is high. Keep it up!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I can't find any site for "Bluewater Press". Link, please?

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
An entry here suggests that the url is [FONT=ARIAL, HELVETICA, VERDANA]http://www.greatlakes.net/bwpress.htm[/FONT]
but that's a 404.
Address given elsewhere as [SIZE=-1]1905 Sheryl Way Las Cruces NM, for the spelling of Blue Water Press.
A Blue Water Press is listed as having published an 'accordion pop-up book, collage' by an art student in 1996, and Brain Games: a large print word search book in 2004, a Theosophical book called The Wayfarers in 1995, and the Fateful Deception thriller in the link above in 1995.
Don't know if this is the one mentioned, though.

AHA! Here it is: Bluwaters Press!
-Barbara

[/SIZE]

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for plumbing that, Batgirl, although Bluwaters doesn't seem to match Lavina's description. Ah, well. Bluewater has been a popular name over the years. (There's currently both a Bluewater Publishing, Inc. and a BlueWater Publishing, LLC, which specialize in surf mags and travel books, respectively.)

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Dang. It was the only one I could find with an existing website, even varying the name.
Maybe Lavinia will come back and provide an url?
-Barbara

Llogan65

Lavinia, I checked the 2007 Writer's Market, and Bluewater Press is not listed there, so that to me, anyway, would be another RED FLAG!

Anyone have a current URL for Bluewater? If they are a POD trying to pass themselves off as a Conventional Publisher, I'd like to take a look at the site and email it to Writer's Beware because I didn't see it mentioned on their site.

Also, one of my former clients whose book I edited mentioned that Bluewater Publishing had shown interest in her book, but she went with another publisher. I couldn't find a website for Bluewater to see if they were legit or not in case any of my other clients might happen upon them.

Thanks and GOOD LUCK!

Lynne Logan
Novelist/Award-Winning Screenwriter

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Llogan- Do you still need information? I just did an internet search and it didn't come up. I do remember they were out of Florida. If you want more I'll try to find the letter of acceptance. I think I know where it's filed...under "Full of S**T publishers." Sorry...still a little sore over the whole thing. Also- I found it in the 2006 Writer's Market, so I know it's in there.

Definitely don't want anyone to go through what I did! So if I can help, let me know.

Lavinia

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
I found this address listed as a Palm Beach FL Tourist Attraction:
Bluewater Press
340 Island Road
Palm Beach, FL 33480
(561)655-2438

And this message on a writer's board, posted Dec 15, asking about them. So they may still be an issue. The poster is an elderly man with a memoir on learning to live alone, and says they requested his ms.
Or, y'know, it might be a different Bluewater Press.
-Barbara

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Amen! James.

Batgirl- That address sounds right. I looked at the message left by the 80 year old man but couldn't reply to it. Sounds like he has a clue to what's going on since he talked about a vanity press.

Lavinia

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Thanks, Lavinia!
I'm glad the old gent doesn't seem to be taken in. I couldn't be sure it was the same press, since as Cao points out, it's not an uncommon name.
-Barbara