• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

American International Press

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Hello --

Does anybody know anything concrete about "American International Press"?

A published author in my writers' group suggested I consider pitching my quirky "101 uses" NF book proposal to them, but the website (aipbooks.com) looks very unprofessional ...

I respect my writing colleague's opinion on related matters -- and I can see how someone who publishes "101 Things to Do on a Date" and "How to Avoid an Arranged Marriage" (cited on the website) would be a good fit for my proposed book.

But ... that website bothers me.

So: American International Press, anyone? The publisher is a guy named Bret Terrill.

Also -- if anybody has suggestions regarding pitching to other publishers -- along the lines of Ten Speed Press -- please pass along those names.

Thanks!

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Why? Just because they only have two books listed, no submission guidelines or ways to contract them? :>

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
So, to question #2

Yup -- it was a classic case of what social psychologists call "cognitive dissonance." One the one hand, my writing colleague has always given "spot on," good advice. On the other hand ... that publishing company looked mighty dodgy ...

So -- any ideas about other quirky-but-legit publishers?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It depends on what you want to publish. There is a good thread here somewhere on small presses for speculative fiction.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
veinglory said:
It depends on what you want to publish. There is a good thread here somewhere on small presses for speculative fiction.

Sorry, I thought I had made that clear -- I want to publish a quirky "101 uses" non-fiction book proposal.

I figure I'm looking for publishing companies similar to "Ten Speed Press" ...

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Chronicle Books?

[I'd ask you friend what possessed her to recommend AIP.]

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Oops, I wasn't paying enough attention. I will have a look at my quirky non-fic books when I get home and see who published them.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.aipbooks.com/

Bret Terrill has lived, worked, studied and traveled extensively through Europe. Mr. Terrill has previously worked as an associate editor at a literary magazine, On the Make (formerly the Chicago Literary Review), and done freelance web page design. After a year spent in a study abroad program in London, Mr. Terrill returned to the States to complete his bachelor's degree in literature. Since then he's returned to Europe nearly every year, a backpack strapped to his shoulders, earning money doing everything from making beds in a Belgian hostel to bartending in a Turkish nightclub.

Greg Dierkers has gathered extensive writing experience throughout his career in the environmental field, publishing weekly articles in trade journals and the independent press. Having penned reports on European transportation issues, he is well acquainted with the hum and spark of the European rail system. Mr. Dierkers has traveled and partied throughout Europe while earning a master’s degree. A true environmentalist, Mr. Dierkers likes to brag about the number of women he has wooed while riding on the world’s public transportation systems.
http://www.books-by-isbn.com/1-887641/

Although they might reach "small press" level in a couple of years, I wouldn't want to risk a book with them at this point.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Judging by the fact that the site hasn't been updated, the "101" book was never published, and Brett went off to found a game company, I'd say it's a fair wager that AIP is defunct.