Book idea - would you read this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tesspup

Registered
Reaction score
I've been toying with an idea for a while. I had approximately 40 part time jobs growing up (between the ages of 14 and perhaps 30). Some of them were quite humourous, short and "odd", but I learned something from every single one of them. (example: companion to elderly woman - learning that I need to make sure an old lady's pet parakeet was safely in his cage before I started making dinner - he flew into the fridge unbeknownst to me, and the next day I found "Cold Tweety" and had to tell her!)

I was thinking of writing a kind of humorous NF book for young adults (or even teens) titled something like "My 40 Part Time Jobs and What I Learned From Them" or something to that effect. Perhaps 40 short chapters. Thoughts? Thank you :)

Last edited:

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like a laugh riot. Were all your jobs like that? Write it (and let us peek in SYW)

tesspup

Registered
Reaction score
Many of the stories are quite comical. Like my first copywriting/PR job. I had to interview the Pres. of a large company. I walk into his large office (very intimidating - picture the oval office!)...Half way across the room, on the way to his desk, my shoe fell off (this was back in the 90's - it was a basic black pump!!). I suppose the message in that one would be "dress appropriately for the position - wear shoes that FIT, LOL! :)

Another was the time I was a companion for an old man who was 90% blind, bed-bound. He had fought in the Austrian war and had a thick Austrian accent. I was a night nurse for him. One evening I walked in wearing a tan shirt and tan shorts. I was also tan - it was in the summer. He took one look at me with his almost blind eyes and thought I was naked! He yelled, "Get this naked nurse out of my house." (he was a bit conservative - I suppose other old men would have enjoyed the sight!)

Another is the time I worked in at a fudge stand. I stole fudge (ate it on the job!) but I ate so much the inside of my mouth broke out from all the sugar. I had to tell the manager and leave my shift to go to the dentist. It was in a mall and believe it or not, there was a dentist in the mall (thank God!) I also got caught stealing candy in a large department store in the stock room - I worked at the candy counter there too (see a pattern, ha ha?) So those are JUST a few! LOL!

Sury

Word Worker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bghosh.cavernreal.com
LOL, tesspup. That's hilarious and sounds like a great idea for a book. Do write it! :D

Frank's idea (pitching your pieces to mags and newspapers) sounds good too.

GOOD LUCK!

Sury

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Tesspup,
It sounds like your idea is as a memoir. I would suggest making it more of a humorous career guide for teens that offers a bit of "how-to" and "what not to do" advice. Your stories can be the concrete examples of the do's and don'ts of particular jobs, and you can also give practical advice.

Most memoirs are a really hard sell, but how-to nonfiction is probably the easiest kind of book to pitch to a publisher. Good luck!

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds great - I'm not sure I'd buy it myself, but if I got it as a gift I'd definitely enjoy reading it. I second Nomad's suggestion of a how-to book. You could market it to youth groups, high school counselors, boy scouts, girl scouts, boys and girls clubs. Seems like it would be easy to put together a very good proposal, and to write up a couple of them as samples.

Go for it!

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
Tesspup--Nomad wrote exactly what I was thinking, these hilarious stories sound more like a memoir. The part-time job tips aspect, I like. In fact, I had similar ideas (don't worry, I won't steal the idea). I would focus more on the range of part-time jobs are available and creative means for finding those jobs in "hidden markets."

MOON GODDESS

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like fun and I'm sure there are people who would read it. I don't know that I would market it just to teens, however. IMO, adults might appreciate this type of thing more. Just my opinion.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
David Sedaris comes to mind. Personal essays with a humorous slant? Can't go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.