Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! I'll look for you there!

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this belongs in the braggatorium but I finally finished the book trailer for a short story I'm releasing with Trestle Press (they're POD, not commercial. Don't want any confusion there :D). It started as a crime fic story but turned into horror. That's ok. :D Please tell me what you think.
ETA: It's at the bottom of my sig

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I used windows movie maker. I'd be happy to help if you need it. ;)

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Not sure if this belongs in the braggatorium but I finally finished the book trailer for a short story I'm releasing with Trestle Press (they're POD, not commercial. Don't want any confusion there :D). It started as a crime fic story but turned into horror. That's ok. :D Please tell me what you think.

Love that you did this - and it turned out great. I'll make a note about Windows movie maker.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

That was awesome!!!

When, and if, I get my book finished I really want to make something like that. Wow.

*writes MysteryRiter's name into little red book*

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com

Actually I think Trestle Press would resent the implication that they are anything other than a commercial press. Are you paying to have your short story published? (Going on my experience with them, the answer is no.) They're paying you royalties, right? That makes them a real publisher and commercial. POD is just a way to get books printed. All it means, in its simplest form, is that there aren't thousands of books sitting in a warehouse somewhere waiting for people to order them. The books are not printed until they are ordered. It's just a production method and should not be used to differentiate between a "real" publisher and a "vanity" press. Lots of vanity presses use POD, but not all POD is vanity press.

My publisher uses POD and I've gotten all kinds of grief on it, but they are clearly a commercial, royalty paying publisher. They just don't do print runs.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the positive feedback on my trailer, guys! Really appreciate it! :D *does a happy dance*
J.e., I agree with what you're saying for the most part. Yes, I'm getting paid royalties (they don't do advances) and they have a very fair 75/25 (me getting the 75) split. It's certainly worth it considering the excellent promotion they provide. I call them "POD" because when I asked Giovanni (the head for anyone who doesn't know) what to refer to Trestle Press as (commercial, POD, etc.) he told me that they were POD. Coming from him, I think it's right as it is HIS publishing company. I don't mean POD in a bad way since they are much better than vanity, I just don't want to equate myself with anyone commercially published. "Commercial publishers" in the definition I've heard from nearly everyone on AW means that they don't print on demand, they house books in warehouses somewhere. Trestle does not do this. POD presses means - from the definitions I've been given when I started a thread over at the self-publishing and POD forum here - simply that they are publishers who use the print on demand technique and I was told that a press using POD is NOT a commercial publisher. So, with that said, I think Trestle is great and I don't like to argue with people but I have heard otherwise from a number of people here. If I'm wrong, tell me. I'd like to know.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
But not in this thread, please! We want to be light and happy and celebratory here. :snoopy:
:D Of course! Sorry if I ruined the peace, haha.

Ok, well, sorry to hijack this thread with my miniscule accomplishments but today my poem told from the POV of a young boy during the Great Depression, "Crash", went live at Raphael's Village! Here it is: http://www.raphaelsvillage.com/article.php?story=20111103154127329
I'm no poet but I'm proud of this piece. ;) And the editor there had high praise for me which made me jump for joy a few times.
*I also hope someone else will post here with good news because I don't want to come across egotistical or something like that (am I?).

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
That's wonderful, Mystery. Don't worry about sounding egotistical, that's fabulous that you're having successes! I can't wait to post in here other than congratulations to you all. Though that's fun enough. :)

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
This isn't a brag about me but about my daughter- she is 13 and finished a 15K novel for the young adult nanowrimo

She isn't even finished with the book yet- but made her goal- and let me tell you she's so much better at this than I was at her age! I think when she's done with it I might publish it for her.

Last edited:

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
HJ, any potential good news coming? :D Thanks for the comment!
Shea, I'm glad she's having success at a young age! That's always nice!

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Cool trailer! The writing gets a little obscured over the police tape line in that one part, but otherwise it was very intriguing! Well done, Ken. ;)

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
I guess the braggatorium is the best place to announce that my inspirational holiday romantic mystery (whew!) Gold, Frankincense, and Murder is now available.

Blurb: High school geometry teacher, Donna Russell likes her life well-ordered and logical, even if it is a tad solitary at times. But when a charming co-worker at the local food bank disappears just before Christmas, Donna is left with more questions than solutions.

After the missing man's neighbor, muscle-bound EMT Sam Holton, volunteers as Donna's crime-fighting sidekick, sparks fly between them. Donna wonders if Sam can be trusted, or if he's trying to throw an unknown into her calculations—and her life.

And when police recover a body from the icy Niagara River, Donna is faced with the most frustrating equation of all: can murder plus mayhem ever equal romance?

And a trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zRpF26n0cA

It's available through the month of December for 99 cents: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006G3O588/?tag=absowrit-20

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! :D Hope you sell lots of copies. I love your title, btw.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Wonderful, Bflo! Any chance it'll be available on nook soon?

BfloGal

Lost in a plot hole
Registered
Reaction score
Website
barbearly.blogspot.com
Thanks, Katie.

Heyjude, it's supposed to be, but its not showing up. I know there are other epub versions around. Bookstrand has it, but for 2.99 And it's available on the Pelican Book Group site for a dollar, but I believe that's in PDF format. Christianbook.com is supposed to have it in epub, but it's now showing a release date of December 15th.