Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 16415660616263646566
Results 1,626 to 1,636 of 1636

Thread: The MTS Braggatorium

Murder! You want fries with that? pdichellis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pdichellis View Post
    My mystery/crime story “Asleep or Afraid” got shortlisted at Criminal Element’s quarterly ezine The M.O., so a 250 word sample is posted there (link below).

Four finalist samples are free to read here and if you register on the site, you can vote for whichever one most intrigues you to read further.

Best wishes,
    Peter
    There's still time to vote! Criminal Element’s quarterly ezine The M.O. is open for voting through Weds night (11:59pm).

My story “Asleep or Afraid” is one of four shortlisted finalists!! Thanks to all who’ve voted, tweeted and retweeted the news, and offered me words of support and encouragement.

Best wishes,
    Peter

PS – While you’re there, check the submission guidelines. Quarterly calls and a year-end anthology, 5c/word.
    My private eye story “Mysterious Private Investigations” is now available in the Plan B Volume V anthology.

Storyline: A private eye seeks justice for his client, but finds only deception and disillusionment.

For more, visit my site Murder and Fries or my Amazon author page.

practical experience, FTW wonderactivist's Avatar
    Awesome Peter. I will vote. And I'm so happy for you
    Suspense author and freelance writer. Check out my words at reverse perspective.

A final, giant thank you to all who voted, tweeted, retweeted, and gave words of support and encouragement re: my shortlisted Criminal Element/ The M.O. story.

Alas, another story pulled the most votes. But mine is still eligible for the year-end anthology, so I’ll wait a few months with my fingers crossed. (A familiar task for all of us, right?)

Best wishes,
    Peter
    My private eye story “Mysterious Private Investigations” is now available in the Plan B Volume V anthology.

Storyline: A private eye seeks justice for his client, but finds only deception and disillusionment.

Sometimes I creep myself out. AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    Sorry, Peter. *sends anthology mojo*

New news! My story “Mysterious Private Investigations” (about 2,000 words) is now free to read at Plan B Mystery Magazine.

The story was published in Plan B’s Volume V anthology earlier this year, and originally appeared in the private eye anthology The Shamus Sampler. (Both anthologies are available through Amazon and other ebook sellers.)

To support this market, which pays writers but posts free stories for readers, I’ll donate $1 to Plan B for every comment readers leave - good, bad, or just hello – up to a total of $10.

Best wishes,
    Peter DiChellis

That's so awesome, Peter! Congratulations

This is different, bittersweet. First, the good news: I'm so honored that "In a Shard of the Bedroom Mirror" will be out Spring 2016 in Veils, Halos and Shackles: International Poets on the Oppression and Empowerment of Women from Kasva Press. Here's this week's press release:

Words kill….
    But words can also heal

The December 2012 rape and murder of Jyoti Singh Pandey in Delhi moved thousands of people to pour into the streets in protest. Veils, Halos, and Shackles: International Poetry on the Oppression and Empowerment of Women was conceived in response to that vicious gang-rape and to the unprecedented public activism for women’s safety that followed it.
    The anthology includes nearly 200 poems by poets from dozens of countries — from Brazil to Bangladesh, and from New Zealand to Nigeria. Many of the contributors are among the most accomplished living poets.

More info at:
    http://www.kasvapress.com/veils-halo...sion-of-women/

While this is True Crime, I think most of us study true cases to prepare to write fiction. These poems just explode with the emotions, and the TRUTHS, of abuse, oppression and recovery. Most of the poets—especially Dr Fishman, Aesthetica's poet of the year (2014),whose accolades include the 2012New Millennium Award for Poetry, the Paterson Award for Excellence in Literature (four times), the 1989 American Library Association Outstanding Book of the Year recognition for The Death Mazurka, which was also nominated for the 1990 Pulitzer Prize, and the 1987 Gertrude B. Claytor Memorial Award from the Poetry Society of America.—as you can see (these folks) are much more accomplished than me. While I rarely share my poems and am more known for fiction, readers will find much of the same intensity and unpredictable emotion in my verse. I highly recommend the anthology for both enjoyment and research—worldwide, next spring.

I'm so grateful they announced Veils... this week. The bittersweet news? At the same time, my current publisher, Buzz Books is reverting my rights. They have been inactive for a year now so it's a relief to regain control of my books on good terms. I can't say enough about the support they gave Distortion while active and how respectably they are wrapping this up. They will publish only the owner's books for now but might come back later.

So as of Monday—ish, Distortion and Retribution will be out of print until I decide what to do with them. (Used paperbacks will remain available.) Distortion truly changed my writing life and I only wish everyone could have such a positive first publishing experience.
    Last edited by wonderactivist; 07-11-2015 at 05:56 PM.
    Suspense author and freelance writer. Check out my words at reverse perspective.

standing on head, typing one-handed... muse's Avatar
    Congratulations and commiserations, Lucie.
    My short story, A Killer Week, is now available to read in the Anthology Crime After Crime out NOW in paperback and e-book format from Bridge House Publishing

Twitter
    Pinterest

Congrats and good luck, Lucie!

Best wishes,
    Peter

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Jeff Widmer's Avatar
    I am pleased to announce that my debut crime novel, "Peak Season," launched this week on Amazon, Smashwords, B&N, iBooks and Kobo. And while I've enjoyed a few kind comments from friends, I sometimes feel that, as an indie writer, I'm publishing into a vacuum. How do you veteran writers deal with that feeling (other than writing another book)?
    Jeff Widmer
    Author of "Peak Season: A CW McCoy Novel"

Jeff, congratulations! That's awesome!

All authors have to face that vacuum. Reach out for your readers. Be fearless. I'm not self-published but still had to do most of the promo work myself. And it was intense because, like most writers, I'd rather not put myself out there like that. It gets easier. Good luck!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Jeff Widmer's Avatar
    Thanks, Wonder. I appreciate the support as much as the info. Good luck with your work.
    Jeff Widmer
    Author of "Peak Season: A CW McCoy Novel"

Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 16415660616263646566