Most disturbing horror film of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know of any movies that really disturbed me on a 'creep-out' level. There are many that disturb me from a 'this is crap' pov.

I did enjoy The Ring and The Grudge (and their Japanese predecessors). And there were a couple of scenes in the remake of The House on Haunted Hill that still give me a shiver. Not to mention that creepy clown doll in Poltergeist.

Anonymisty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mistymassey.com
Not to mention that creepy clown doll in Poltergeist.

I was in high school when 'Poltergeist' came out in theaters. I was spending the night with my best friend, and we went to see it before going out to her house. She lived on Lady's Island, up against the Beaufort River. Her house was surrounded on three sides by live oaks and the wind was always blowing. About 11 pm, I knelt on the bed to get something, and accidentally knocked down the curtain and blinds. Outside the window was a huge live oak branch, waving menacingly at me, just like the tree in the movie!

We spent the rest of that night in her den at the other end of the house.

*grin*

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
We went to see The Ring at 10pm (for those who saw this movie, that is significant). Yeah the movie was kinda creepy, but it freaked me out more when we left the theatre and someone's phone rang. Then I got home and saw that I missed a call from an unknown number. That was the creepiest part.

nandu

Registered
Reaction score
Generally, the gorefests freak me out, but it's the "gag reflux" and not actual horror-more of disgust, the kind you get when looking at a dirty toilet bowl.

The movie which I found seriously disturbing was John Carpenter's "In the mouth of madness".

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
The remake of "The Hills Have Eyes." Solely for the scene in the camper with Emilie de Ravin.

Oh. My. God.

I second that. I mean, I have a high tolerance level for sick, but come on: small doses on some things people, small doses. And the initial attack on the camper was just too much sick shit all at one time.

Other than that, I'm going with The Descent. But that's disturbing in a good way.

Reaction score
We went to see The Ring at 10pm (for those who saw this movie, that is significant). Yeah the movie was kinda creepy, but it freaked me out more when we left the theatre and someone's phone rang. Then I got home and saw that I missed a call from an unknown number. That was the creepiest part.

What was that film with Denzel Washington? I think it was called Fallen.

Me and my cousin watched it one evening and before he went home I said, call me when you get in so I know you're safe.

So the phone rang, I picked up and instead of David saying, "Hi, it's me, got home safe, goodnight," he sang, "Ti-i-i-ime, is on our side...YES IT IS!"

Git.

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
RickiO? A martial arts film that netflix accidently put on my list. I know I didn't order it!

GROSS STUFF!

It's called 'Ricky Ho: The Story of Ricky'. I have it on DVD. To me it's one of the funniest martial arts/ gore fest ever. Just because the acting in it is so cheesy and for the simple fact you can tell they tried to play it straight makes it even funnier!:ROFL: Plus the 'special effects are anything but special!

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score

I would have hide under my bed and not gotten out for two weeks after that. Better safe than sorry.

Kiester

I love lamp.
Registered
Reaction score
The Evil Dead?

Three things from that flick really freaked me out, big time..

1. The Pencil-stabbing-into-the-ankle scene.....damn that was disturbing.
2. The decomposition-of-the-zombie-into-a-rainbow-of-coloured-plastercene scene...

and not forgetting three...

The Tree-Rape scene.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
The Descent.

Disturbing as hell.

Watching these people crawl through small tunnels in a dark cave had me literally holding my breath, add in the wierd creatures and the gore as well as the transformation of the characters and EWWWW

I was on the edge of my seat the entire movie..however i can honestly say i wont ever watch it again. icky

Have you guys checked out the Horrorfest movies? I've seen em all. about half were good, a quarter were so so and a fourth were a waste of time.

I was a bit disappointed that the selling point of these films was that they were all never released in theaters because they were too disturbing...bah..whatever. But if ur a horror fan its worth checkin em out.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ringu (or The Ring, I found both very effective) or The Woman in Black.

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
That little girl in The Ring freaked me out. I don't like scary little kids. Also in Wolf Creek the part with the "head on a stick" I think it was called, and I couldn't sit though the one with the young boys in another country who get tortured. I can't remember the name, but it was out recently. After they cut one boys achilles tendon I stopped watching.

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
The first time I saw The Exorcist, it scared the living crap out of me. Couldn't sleep for days. Same for Night of the Living Dead. Both seem a little silly now, though. Nothing much scares me anymore, other than those occasional middle-of-the-night, I-really-am-going-to-die-one-day, this-is-no-joke sweats.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
That little girl in The Ring freaked me out. I don't like scary little kids. Also in Wolf Creek the part with the "head on a stick" I think it was called, and I couldn't sit though the one with the young boys in another country who get tortured. I can't remember the name, but it was out recently. After they cut one boys achilles tendon I stopped watching.

Yeah, Wolf Creek has to be up near the top in terms of horror movies I've seen. It's the character that makes it so good, iconic and gripping.

The movie with the two boys was Hostel, which I also thought was pretty good even if it did get slammed by most people.

wrinkles

Banned
Reaction score
I think I have the honor of being one of the few people to have seen the grossest movie of all time. The time was the early seventies; the movie was Andy Warhol's Frankenstein. In 3D. I saw it on a big screen back when screens were really big. You picked up 3D glasses on the way in. Not kidding, the theater smelled like puke. I don't suppose you can find it on DVD, and if you did it wouldn't be the same, but for anyone interested in this genre, it would be an experience.

Jack Nog

Brain-farts are useful too.
Registered
Reaction score
Saw Exorcist III when I was 15 staying at a friends house. We watched it at 1AM...

That old lady crawling on the ceiling freaked me the f--- out. Holy crap...Yellow eyes...

I mean, I'd seen movies I shouldn't have much younger than 15. Friday the 13th at eight yrs old, Nightmare on Elm street. Those didn't have anywhere near the effect that Exorcist III had at 15 years old. Still spooks me to this day.

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
Pan's Labyrinth freaked me out. It was good, though.

Exorcist, of course. Children of the Corn, too. I thought American Psycho was brilliant...and the book freaked me the #%^$% out.

Actually, another movie that disturbed me was Cape Fear. *shudder*

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
Pan's Labyrinth freaked me out. It was good, though.

Exorcist, of course. Children of the Corn, too. I thought American Psycho was brilliant...and the book freaked me the #%^$% out.

Actually, another movie that disturbed me was Cape Fear. *shudder*

I still haven't seen Pan's Labryinth, but I'm hearing that it's very good.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
My tthree all-timers came out when I was a child.

1. Val Lewton's CAT PEOPLE (b&w) because one never saw the cat/woman kill beyond th shadows.

2. Spencer Tracy's J&H; his Hyde looked like the perverts my mother taught me to avoid.

3. Claude Raines as the as Phanthom of the Opera UNTIL he took off his mask. The build up terrified me.

Current horror films are simply high-tech Gran Guignol, and in most cases one hopes the characters are taken out of the Darwinian reproductive chain.

Oh, yes, READING Stoker's Dracula alone in the country at age 13 one dark summer night.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
The Exorcist, because it was about the devil and demons. When I was little, I was always seriously scared of that kind of stuff, and sort of believed it. I mean, I never believed in vampires or zombies, but having had the trad Sunday school upbringing, I reasoned if there was God...

Plus it was done so well. For one who had been seasoned on Hammer Horror, it came as somewhat of a shock to see something so convincing.

Status
Not open for further replies.