Most disturbing horror film of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Night of the Living Dead. The original B&W version. I slept in my mother's room for a year after that. Just thinking about it bothers me and I haven't seen it since i was a kid. Brrrrrr.

But I loved 'Saw'. I Loved 'SawII'. When I saw 'Saw', I had to see it again. it had a level of subtlity that was amazing. When I rented 'SawII', my daughter and I sat through it twice, then a third time just flipping back and forth analyzing scenes. What a kick!

For now I'm just hoping someone will put out "The Alien and Jason meet The Predator and Freddy in a Grudge Ring in Hell."

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
Aubrey said:
All I had to do is look at the pictures on the back of the American Psycho box to know I couldn't handle watching it. Ugh! Is it really as sick as it looks?
American Psycho was brilliant. Hilarious, even. I loved the scene with the business cards. Check it out based on the reccommendation of a complete stranger on the internet (me).

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
jbal said:
American Psycho was brilliant. Hilarious, even. I loved the scene with the business cards. Check it out based on the reccommendation of a complete stranger on the internet (me).

I totally second this! I thought it was totally fabulous--it captured the 80's excess so beautifully.

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
jbal said:

That scene cracked me up too. He flipped out because the guy had egg-shell colored business cards...lol!:ROFL:

Jackie Coupe

Evil Lord
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.witness-online.com
HorrorWriter said:
The most disturbing film for me was The Exorcist. Not only because of the movie but that it was based on a true story. The young boy it was based on lived on the East coast. His name was never revealed by the Catholic church but what they will say is that he is married with children and does not seem to remember his possession. :e2chain: Truth IS stranger than fiction!

this gets my bet too - the horrible scrunchy-rasps from the attic make my skin want to crawl off and die, and the girl says the c-word, unheard of for my generation and I'm not THAT old.
I tell you something else, the detective was very creepy in his own way, at one point his eyes are bugging out and you wonder if he was touched perhaps a bit too closely by what happened.
Of course they wrecked Damian Carris in the third one by making it so that he hadn't really died at the end of The Exorcist.
I saw this at 19 years of age, (thats ten years ago now), and it disturbed me very much.
Only Ichi and the Ring originals have come close to chilling me in the same way.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
JustinThorne said:
Violence however, can be pretty grim. Irreversible contains some of the worst scenes I have ever seen. Hostel was pretty uncomfortable to watch, reminded me a bit of the Saw movies.

I liked Hostel. I liked that way it didn't go straight into the blood and guts. It did seem to have a kind of story, and a bit of a mystery and a twist.

Of all those slasher/gore flicks a la Wrong Turn or Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I think Wolf Creek is pretty good. The main problem with this type of movie is that you have little time to care about the characters... in many you kind of want them to get killed! With Wolf Creek, it starts out like a good old fashioned road movie, plenty of time to empathize with the leads before they start getting their bits snipped off!

Wolf Creek amazed me. The characters we so good, especially Mick Taylor. I agree, I liked the way you got to know the characters in it, kind of like Hostel.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
bsolah said:
I liked Hostel. I liked that way it didn't go straight into the blood and guts. It did seem to have a kind of story, and a bit of a mystery and a twist.

Wolf Creek amazed me. The characters we so good, especially Mick Taylor. I agree, I liked the way you got to know the characters in it, kind of like Hostel.
bsolah! there you are! I hadn't seen you here in a while.

I didn't like Hostel as much as some of you did, but there was a great scene in it that bears mentioning. When the guy is searching for his missing friends, he goes to a pub and finds the two sluts that lured them in-with no makeup, looking very haggard. And I'm thinking "ha ha, that's what they really look like." Great scene. The end was good too.

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
Jackie Coupe said:
this gets my bet too - the horrible scrunchy-rasps from the attic make my skin want to crawl off and die, and the girl says the c-word, unheard of for my generation and I'm not THAT old.
I tell you something else, the detective was very creepy in his own way, at one point his eyes are bugging out and you wonder if he was touched perhaps a bit too closely by what happened.
Of course they wrecked Damian Carris in the third one by making it so that he hadn't really died at the end of The Exorcist.
I saw this at 19 years of age, (thats ten years ago now), and it disturbed me very much.
Only Ichi and the Ring originals have come close to chilling me in the same way.

I saw it as a child many years ago. And, it still gives me the willies!! :e2thud:

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
jbal said:
bsolah! there you are! I hadn't seen you here in a while.

Yeah, I've entered a disturbing horror story of my own - full time work. Not much time for writing or surfing the web at the moment, just a couple of hours in the night. But since time is so sparse, I have to work out how to stop procrastinating and use my time to the fullest.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
caren1701 said:
I've only stopped 2 movies because they were too disturbing, Cemetery Man and Tombs of the Blind Dead. Cemetery Man shows just how sick & twisted some Italian directors are *shudder*

I'm a huge fan of sick & twisted, so I was surprised to find that I couldn't keep watching CM.

Hey, I like that movie. So you didn't get to the big surprise at the end?

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
'The Bad Seed.'

And she was such a pretty, little girl.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw The Exorcist the year it came out in a packed drive-in theater. Standing room only.

At that time, special effects was almost non-existent, and make-up art was the big thing in creature features. When little Regan's head did the tilt-a-whirl thing, it was a movie-magic moment. I jumped and threw popcorn all over the interior of the car, including my date. She didn't seem to mind my unmanly display. She was too busy hiding underneath her coat.

There were some seriously disturbed kids walking around school the following day. *grins*

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Phantasm. When I saw it as a kid.

Exorcist. Also as a kid. I thought the scariest thing was that when anyone walked into a room it always lingered on their face before showing why they were so terrified. Scared the hell out of me. Plus I was her age and had just learned my friend had a ouji board.

Recently, the original Ring. Lots more loose ends than the Hollywood version.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
The most disturbing film for me was The Exorcist. Not only because of the movie but that it was based on a true story. The young boy it was based on lived on the East coast. His name was never revealed by the Catholic church but what they will say is that he is married with children and does not seem to remember his possession. :e2chain: Truth IS stranger than fiction!
I'd have to agree with you on that one... The Exorcist was one creepy movie..

Also, The Shining (1980) version bka the Kubrick masterpiece--that red and white bathroom...WHOA!! Not too long ago, I heard there was an original ending with Wendy in a mental institution at the end talking about her husband Jack :)

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
The 1974 Texas Chainsaw Massacre (TCM) for short is a pretty disturbing movie too and one of my all time faves... Did you know that it originally had a PG rating but Director Tobe Hooper was told to make it "gorier" which, well it isn't.. but nonetheless he was aiming for a PG rating... TCM would have probably been a completely different movie.

Anya Smith

House Dragon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alnitak-z-orionis.com
I generally don't watch horror films, but the Exorcist still gives me the creeps when I think about it. It's deeply disturbing.

The other one, though it's not a horror film is Jaws.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I generally don't watch horror films, but the Exorcist still gives me the creeps when I think about it. It's deeply disturbing.

The other one, though it's not a horror film is Jaws.
How about a remake of "The Exorcism of Jaws." Can you imagine a great white shark who is possessed by the devil? Munching on a group of elderly church-goers.

Status
Not open for further replies.