Status
Not open for further replies.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Sin City made me want to go into the bathroom and puke just to get all the ickyness out of me. I couldn't read Frank Miller for about a year. Even now just thinking about it makes me want to hop in the shower.

southernwriter

Born Under a Bad Star
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesiavalentine.com
The Omen. Hmm. I don't recall if that was scary or not. I think it was more moody than anything.

Poltergeist was on last night and I was watching it and I called my son in for the scene where the one Parapsychologist starts to tear his face off. And I'm explaining to my son that this scene totally freaked me out when I saw it in the theater. And he's watching. And the scene comes on. And OMG! It looked horrible! You could see right away it was a fake rubber head. When did they reedit the movie and put in crappy special effects?

Ha ha ha. Yeah, when did they do that? It might have been around the same time they changed Star Wars from state-of-the-art special FX to those cardboard cutouts. When I was looking for the picture of Zelda Rubenstein to post here, I was reading about some of the goofs in the movie. Remember the scene where the chairs are stacked on the table (my personal favorite)? Watch the toaster, where the prop guys can be seen bringing them in and putting them there. There's also supposed to be a place where the dog opens the door and comes into the room -I don't remember it, myself -- and someone wearing a red shirt is seen leaving the room behind the door.

It's about that time of year when they'll be playing the Wizard of Oz on TV, won't they? This year, when the witch throws the fireballs at the scarecrow from the roof, watch what's going on back in the woods, instead. There are all kinds of things like that in the Wiz of Oz, but I can't recall where they all are.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully this won't turn up twice as it went strange when I was posting.

When I was really young, I sneaked a video of 'Theatre of Blood' with Vincent Price and that really freaked me out, but I was only about 5 or 6 at the time.

It's not a horror film but the one I cannot watch is 'Face Off'. There's a scene where Nicholas Cage's character wakes up in the lab after they've taken his face and I had to switch it off there. I have a definite squick with things like that.

Hostel, I couldn't finish, but I had no problem with the Saw movies. Haven't seen the third one yet. Wolf Creek though did disturb me a lot, because I'd read that it was based on a true story and vaguely remembered reading about it as it happened. That made it worse than a normal gore flick somehow.

Two really good creepy ones I was recommended; 'A Tale of Two Sisters', which is a Korean film, a bit weird but really compelling and quite disturbing in a good way. Took me and the friend who recommended it a while to click onto what was going on. Also, 'Ils' or 'Them', French film, again supposedly based on a true story. Very creepy.

Everyone I know hates it, but I also loved (and was very creeped by) 'Creep'. I was just glad I didn't live in London any more, as I'd've avoided the underground for ages after seeing that.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Has anyone mentioned the original The Stepford Wives?

It's the one movie that utterly totally freaks me out enough to hide in the basement forever. James Coburn(? not sure, and don't want to watch it again to find out) says to Kate Jackson (? again, NOT watching it again to check) when she's been threatened with losing her kids and finds the evil central controller and his machines and she asks: "Why?"

He says, "Because we can."

And the next scene is her in the floofy dress and sunhat, blank-eyed and slack-faced, shopping for groceries with all the other floofy-dressed, blank-eyed, slack-faced women, and her husband is holding the car door open for her, a smug, ecstatic grin on his face, because his life is perfect now.

Nothing is scarier. Nothing.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
You obviously haven't been where I live. I swear it's like that everyday. It's Stepford with SUVs.

[shudders]

Buffalo is a great place. Sure, the economy is depressed, both our professional sports teams couldn't beat the local Senior Citizens Home in a pickup game, and there's this affinity we have for large amounts of snow arriving at a rate faster than it ought to. But there's a real sense of "We're all just average working slobs trying to get by. Come in and have a beer and some wings with us." And the cost of living isn't too bad.

I've lived in a lot of places. I like it here.

And the ratio of pretty, perfect, rich people to overworked, flabby parents is so disparate that the Stepford folks scratched us off the map decades ago. :D

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I saw one the other night on Sundance called, Close Your Eyes. I'm not sure if it fits the horror genre, but the story and some of the scenes are truly horrifying. I haven't been able to stop thinking about that film for several days, and I get the willies every time it crosses my mind...

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to go with Last House on the Left.

It's just wrong.
It was especially wrong how her father talked about how much he could see her nipples through her shirt. Yuk.

The part in the Exorcist when she walked backwards down the stairs really freaked me out. Also, in Hannibal when he cut the top of Ray Liotta's head. I covered my eyes in the theater, which I've never done.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
It was especially wrong how her father talked about how much he could see her nipples through her shirt. Yuk.
Well, I've made similar comments to my daughter before, but more in a tone that conveyed, "You are not leaving here wearing that see-through blouse, young lady; so you had better unpack that winter parka right now and put it on before you leave this house!"

Considering it was the middle of summer, and she doesn't listen to me anyway, I expect that parka was long gone by the time she reached the corner. ;)

D.L.Steele

Registered
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to go with Pink Flamingos on this one. I really honestly wish I had not seen some of the things that were in that movie. If you're really brave and drunk and high AND don't care about your view of the world being skewed permanently...you might give this one a try.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Remake of House of Wax suxed, urk!
After 45 min I was screaming for the psychopath to kill off everyone and end the movie FAST!

Captain Howdy

closer + prettier than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I saw Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer at the art house when it was first released and was scared to walk home, and I was a grownup already!

Status
Not open for further replies.