• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Black Pearl Books Inc

bhampton

A former Black Pearl Author Responds...

Hello, Everyone. Through doing a Google search on Black Pearl Books, I stumbled upon this forum with Absolute Writers. I've been anxious to share my story with those who've inquired, but because of legal reasons, I have to be careful with how much information I provide. Surely, Dawnny and Charles Chatmon gave many Black Pearl authors the opportunity to share our story, and if it weren't for individuals like them, our voices would go unheard. Personally, one of my main reasons for wanting to share my story, is to warn aspiring writers and possibly prevent them from dealing with the tramatic experience that I, along with several other authors published through Black Pearl Books had. The emails, press releases, blogs and messages to many forums are to simply make other writers aware of shady publishers like Black Pearl Books. To have someone take your HARD work and use it solely for his/her benefit, is gut-wrenching. To sit back and watch the sales of your books constantly increase, and receive no royalties for them, people, it is a bad feeling. Simply put, I've not been paid royalties and my demands for them have been ignored. No reason, no explaination, no phone call, no nothing, but threatening letters that attack me for defaming Black Pearl Books through my responses to the public. As one of Black Pearls bestselling authors, I can not tell you enough how painful this experience has been for me. I refuse, though, to hang my head low and cry about what I should or could have done better. That would give them the victory and I'm not about to let that happen. Yes, I hold Black Pearl Books accountable and they will have to answer for what they've done. Moreso, I take sole responsibility for the choice I made to affiliate myself with such a company. By doing so, my reputation has been hurt and nothing saddens me more than to hear individuals talk about Black Pearl Books grimy website, poorly written books and awful book covers. This was their way of marketing books and it has hurt many of the BPB author's careers. I've put a lot of time and efforts into my literary works and so did some of the other authors. You'd be surprised to know that many of us have well-written stories that are enjoyable reads for everyone. No doubt, my choice for a publisher was not a good one, but I have to live with it. By being anxious, I gave them my trust and they betrayed me. My only advice to others is to learn as much as you can about the publishing industry, and when choosing a publisher, be patient and thoroughly review your contract with an attorney. I agree that some writers might not do well with self-publishing, but it still doesn't hurt to learn all that you can about the business. Trust me, the more you educate yourself, the better off you'll be in the long-run. If anyone within this forum would like to offer his/her comments, please feel free to email me at [email protected]. For my exclusive interview with Charles Chatmon, please visit my website at: www.brendamhampton.com. Always, I thank Absolute Write, Dawnny and Charles for giving me another opportunity to share.

Dawnny

Registered
Reaction score
It was brought to my attention that I posted the press release that was not yet edited. So sue me.
I did give a shout to the authors to stop in here and tell their story.
Which could be why Victoria heard from Rashaan Ali.
I sent him here.
Thanks Brenda.

Tilly

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Brenda, and welcome.:Sun:

Dawnny

Registered
Reaction score
In response to this post,
I did not write this press release, nor do I advertise the fact that he is in jail.
Eric wrote this press release. So no I didn't paint him in a negative light. I did post the wrong release. Things happen.

As for the Mahogany Media Review
I was not his publicist at the time I reviewed the book. But yes, I did go back and leave comment as his publicist not to buy the book. As well as Brenda Hampton and Rashaan Ali. I would have done that as a book club president on my Amazon account for any author that asked me to help by letting the public know. With facts in hand. To state that these author's have not been paid and not have the facts behind it would be dangerous on my behalf.

Mahogany Media Review
No I'm not in the habit of leaving glowing reviews for my clients, I have other Mahogany members and other book clubs that write reviews for us. If you see a review under Mahogany that is for one of my clients another member wrote the review. I never need to write a glowing review to help push the book. All reviews are posted with the reviewer named at the bottom.
Like I said, I was not his publicist at the time. Mahogany Media Review members write real reviews. If a book falls short it is said so. My review states that the story could have been one of the best urban fiction books of the year if was not for the editing.

Last edited:

ericm

I'm still having a hard time understanding what my being in jail had to do with the discussion, topic, and issue? Silly me, I forgot about that nasty word called stereotyping. MAC. H., why would you speak down on my publicist when her only objective is to help me out! Be a part of the solution, not the problem; it's more admirable.

True, I didn't even know that this forum existed. A friend printed this discussion and mailed it to me on 11-12-96. Furthermore, I haven't any hang-ups about speaking for myself; however, like it was emphasized, I am "currently in jail!" That would mean that I have no access to the internet. I send emails and messages through third parties: publicist and family. While the people whom relay messages on my behalf may not be grammatically savvy, how they deliver something is not more important than the message. So, since this forum felt that my wonderful publicist was sending secondhand reports, and couldn't represent me in a "positive light," here I am to rep my whole team and situation.

Black Pearl Books, Inc. breached its publishing contract with me under the Editing and Proofreading clause. They failed to give me a copy to proofread before mass distribution. Obviously, they failed to proofread Street Games themselves. They failed to have the book edited as contracted. I did not know that my novel was riddled with errors that did not reflect my professional manuscript until Street Games was in stores. My being a creative— and novel-writing instructor of numerous semesters, I understand the importance of editing and how a "bad book" reflects on the author and not the company that published it. For damage-control purposes, I sent a Cease and Desist notice to Felicia Hurst, President of Black Pearl Books, and revoked my authorial rights. I called Felicia days later to see about having Street Games edited and to distribute a revised edition. She threatened to charge me for the money she spent in publishing costs if I did not recant my Cease and Desist notice. I refused; she cussed me out and hung up. From that day, Black Pearl Books has returned my mail unopened, and refuses my calls.

Months later, Felicia contacted me by mail. At that time, she agreed to release me from our contract (which I was already free from because of the breach), but stated that she was going to "continue selling Street Games", which she was no longer legally contracted to sale. She also said that I would be paid royalties according to the original agreement and pay schedule. January and June are our pay months. I haven't been paid the last two periods, nor had Black Pearl given me a reason as to why, yet Street Games continues to sale.

Before signing with this company, I researched it thoroughly. I examined two of its publications, which were editorially sound. Those books were authored by Winston Chapman, who I learned later was Felicia's significant other, and the bank behind Black Pearl. Naturally, his books would be of good quality. Also, I had several in-depth conversations with Felicia about my concerns as a career novelist. Felicia said, "You have nothing to worry about with Black Pearl, we invest in futures." None of that made a difference; they just flat out didn't honor our contractual agreement.

No lawyer would take my case on the contingency basis, yet they all claimed that I had a case with pursuing. I had no money to hire a lawyer; my prison job paid $10.50 a month at the time. My publicist and I agreed to put the press release out as a means to get help, MAC. H. As a means of being pointed in the right direction, MAC. H., I need the money Black Pearl owes me to pay a lawyer for my freedom, MAC. H., and to help my family out. No matter what you may believe, MAC. H., there are a few of us who are innocent of the crimes we're convicted of.

When the press release (with the poor English) came out, I learned that there were other Black Pearl authors whom were experiencing similar events. I went on to file a lawsuit, pro se, and I am not at liberty to discuss anything other than I have.
Victoria Strauss, I would really like to speak with you. Would you write me at:
Eric Myrieckes 11013-068
PO Box 725
Edgefield, SC 29824
[email protected]

I encourage whomever to correspond with me directly. Thanks for listening.

Peace

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think it is pretty clear that Black Pearl is up to no good. But the early points relate the publicist's role of presenting his or her client in their best light. Poor spelling and discussion of being in prison are part of life's rich tapestry, but not typically part of effective PR.

Dawnny

Registered
Reaction score
As I stated above. Yes I posted the release that was not edited. I had two of them on my computer. Mistakes happen. That was my error.

Once again, I did not write the words. Eric wrote his own release. I just posted it.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Good to see you here, Eric.

Like Veinglory said, I was simply flabbergasted that a publicist would release an announcement like this. I pointed out that the publicist had done a poor job ... just like you pointed out that your publisher had done a poor job.

Good luck with persuing the money you are owed (and good luck finding out how much you are owed, which might be just as hard!)

I hope things work out for you.

Mac