• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Gersh Agency

Maddog

Registered
Reaction score
I subbed my mid-grade to her last spring. Had a nice e-mail conversation with her about my book that ended up getting representation elsewhere. She works for a reputable agency, but when I googled her I found more on her playwrighting than her agenting. That's all I know!

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I found a lot about her playwrighting, but I also found sales to Penguin and Dell Publishing. She was also in Bloomsbury's list of agents. I don't know if that means anything though.. I also know she's an AAR memeber and has the $ sign on Predators and Editors. Everything points to legitimate.

However, I was wondering whether anyone knew about her YA or MG sales. Also, I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences with her.

Peter Mill

Registered
Reaction score
Sonia Pabley

Excellent to deal with.

I submitted a children's book last year to Sonia. She didn't take it on board, but she offered some constructive criticism of the text which I found to be very helpful.

So yes, I would happily deal with her again in the future.

Peter

Athena777

Rosenstone/Wender Agency

Hi, does anyone have any up to date info on this agency? I have read some old posts about the agency, but I cannot seem to find info on the agents who are there now. I knew of Sonia Pabley, but I believe she is now at The Gersh Agency. Does anyone have any recent info on Rosenstone/agents and contact details please??

Thanks so much. :)

Countess Olenska

Registered
Reaction score
Sonia Pabley was my agent on a humor book project. Very nice and professional. The book didn't sell, but we parted on a positive note.

Alexandra

Registered
Reaction score
Update on Sonia Pabley

She declined my manuscript but was most cordial. Here is an update on her situation:

The Gersh Agency is the latest film-world player to add a book division. It will be run out of Gersh's NY office by Phyllis Wender, who ran Rosenstone/Wender (partner Howard Rosenstone died last year) and will bring agents Sonia Pabley and Susan Cohen with her. Co-president Bob Gersh tells Variety, "Most book agents know Phyllis, and her reputation and stature will dictate how the division will do business. We've wanted a good book division for years but never found the right person to run it. We think she will be a great combination with Amy Schiffman in Los Angeles and Sarah Self in New York, who make film and TV deals for authors."

sarahcypher

Editor, writer, moving target
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahcypher.com
Etiquette question for referrals

A client of mine has a good connection to Amy Schiffman at The Gersh Agency, and his connection said to "go ahead and send it with a cover letter." Unfortunately, the word "it" is ambiguous -- perhaps referring to the query letter my client mentioned in his e-mail to his connection, or to the entire manuscript.

Considering that Amy Schiffman does not accept unsolicited manuscripts, I am curious if anyone here can shed some light on the etiquette around referrals. Is it better to err on the side of sending fewer pounds of paper at an agent, or to send all the material at once?

Thank you!

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Why don't you ask the connection what you should send? After all, you'll be referring with their name, right?

po1s

Registered
Reaction score
Pabley leaving Gersh

I just wanted to update this and let people know that Sonia Pabley is leaving the Gersh Agency.

po1s

Registered
Reaction score
My understanding is that she is leaving the biz. She is certainly not representing manuscripts or proposals at this time.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Odds are, no. Such policies are SOP for agencies with ties to Hollywood to protect themselves from folks who send unsolicited scripts/mss, then try to sue when the next project to come out has, like, people in it, just like theirs did.

ETA: updating URL https://gersh.com/

Last edited: