The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: The Gersh Agency

practical experience, FTW Provrb1810meggy's Avatar

The Gersh Agency

Anyone heard of her? What do you know?
    Come check out my blog: http://meganetcetera.blogspot.com

practical experience, FTW Maddog's Avatar
    I subbed my mid-grade to her last spring. Had a nice e-mail conversation with her about my book that ended up getting representation elsewhere. She works for a reputable agency, but when I googled her I found more on her playwrighting than her agenting. That's all I know!

I found a lot about her playwrighting, but I also found sales to Penguin and Dell Publishing. She was also in Bloomsbury's list of agents. I don't know if that means anything though.. I also know she's an AAR memeber and has the $ sign on Predators and Editors. Everything points to legitimate.

However, I was wondering whether anyone knew about her YA or MG sales. Also, I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences with her.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Sonia Pabley

Excellent to deal with.

I submitted a children's book last year to Sonia. She didn't take it on board, but she offered some constructive criticism of the text which I found to be very helpful.

So yes, I would happily deal with her again in the future.

Peter

Well, I'm sending the full this weekend. Wish me luck!

Athena777

Rosenstone/Wender Agency

Hi, does anyone have any up to date info on this agency? I have read some old posts about the agency, but I cannot seem to find info on the agents who are there now. I knew of Sonia Pabley, but I believe she is now at The Gersh Agency. Does anyone have any recent info on Rosenstone/agents and contact details please??

Thanks so much.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    http://www.writersservices.com/agent...m?AgentID=7366

The agency itself doesn't appear to have a web page.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Countess Olenska's Avatar
    Sonia Pabley was my agent on a humor book project. Very nice and professional. The book didn't sell, but we parted on a positive note.

Update on Sonia Pabley

She declined my manuscript but was most cordial. Here is an update on her situation:

The Gersh Agency is the latest film-world player to add a book division. It will be run out of Gersh's NY office by Phyllis Wender, who ran Rosenstone/Wender (partner Howard Rosenstone died last year) and will bring agents Sonia Pabley and Susan Cohen with her. Co-president Bob Gersh tells Variety, "Most book agents know Phyllis, and her reputation and stature will dictate how the division will do business. We've wanted a good book division for years but never found the right person to run it. We think she will be a great combination with Amy Schiffman in Los Angeles and Sarah Self in New York, who make film and TV deals for authors."

Editor, writer, moving target sarahcypher's Avatar

Etiquette question for referrals

A client of mine has a good connection to Amy Schiffman at The Gersh Agency, and his connection said to "go ahead and send it with a cover letter." Unfortunately, the word "it" is ambiguous -- perhaps referring to the query letter my client mentioned in his e-mail to his connection, or to the entire manuscript.

Considering that Amy Schiffman does not accept unsolicited manuscripts, I am curious if anyone here can shed some light on the etiquette around referrals. Is it better to err on the side of sending fewer pounds of paper at an agent, or to send all the material at once?

Thank you!
    Sarah Cypher
    Editor, writer, book reviewer, and author of a little Strunk-and-White-style reference book, "The Editor's Lexicon: Essential Writing Terms for Novelists"

Why don't you ask the connection what you should send? After all, you'll be referring with their name, right?
    The Girl's Guide to (Man)Hunting - Available May 1, 2012. Amazon | B&N |Goodreads

www.jessica-sims.com
    www.jillmyles.com
    http://jessica-clare.com

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    This article from Variety describes the 2007 merger between The Gersh Agency and Rosenstone/Wender after the death of Howard Rosenstone.

- Victoria

bedazzled /bootay shaker!! xiaotien's Avatar
    67 day polite form rejection via SASE from
    sonia.

Silver Ph0enix (Greenwi11ow: 4/09)

Fury of the Ph0enix (Greenwi11ow: 3/11)

Diverse 3nergies anthology (Tu B00ks: 10/12)

visit my website :
    paint & prose

my brush art at etsy!

Pabley leaving Gersh

I just wanted to update this and let people know that Sonia Pabley is leaving the Gersh Agency.

figuring it all out
    I have a sub into her. Is she leaving the company or the biz? Thanks for any info.
    Rest in peace Don LaFontaine, the real movie announcer guy. Can you imagine the symphony of Don, James Earl Jones and Charlton Heston having a conversation?

My understanding is that she is leaving the biz. She is certainly not representing manuscripts or proposals at this time.

figuring it all out
    Thanks.
    Rest in peace Don LaFontaine, the real movie announcer guy. Can you imagine the symphony of Don, James Earl Jones and Charlton Heston having a conversation?

I don't suppose this policy "http://gershagency.com/unsolicited-submission-policy.html"
    applies to query?

Agent, author, human.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolesingslave View Post
    I don't suppose this policy "http://gershagency.com/unsolicited-submission-policy.html"
    applies to query?
    Good question! Anyone???
    *opinions are my own*

Find more about me at:

My Website
    Twitter
    The Seymour Agency

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Odds are, no. Such policies are SOP for agencies with ties to Hollywood to protect themselves from folks who send unsolicited scripts/mss, then try to sue when the next project to come out has, like, people in it, just like theirs did.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: