The Dares Thread

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sage said:
If I can figure out an excuse to have chickens in downtown San Diego...

ah, you could...um, no....maybe....how about...I got nothing. Sorry.Maybe an illegal cock fighting bust?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why not? I had the most brilliant break through. I was trying to name a character and I went through to see who was on AW (trying to name as many characters after peeps here as possible) and came up with the perfect name for Pug that snores and farts and is generally obnoxious.

Meet Billy the Pug :D.

Oh, this is tooooo much fun.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Soccer Mom said:
Why not? I had the most brilliant break through. I was trying to name a character and I went through to see who was on AW (trying to name as many characters after peeps here as possible) and came up with the perfect name for Pug that snores and farts and is generally obnoxious.

Meet Billy the Pug :D.

Oh, this is tooooo much fun.

As I was reading the first paragraph, I had this horrible notion that the character might end up named Yeshanu...

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
TheIT said:
Do Muppet chickens count?
I would think they get bonus points :D

Don't forget the infamous plot ninjas.

Some of my faves from last year (some used, some not):

- Go grab a random album and use song titles as chapter titles. Bonus if said song titles have something to do with anything in that chapter.

- Have supporting characters constistently forget the main character's name

- Have a character introduce himself as (Mike). Then, have another character say that he/she could never remember that and he/she will just call him (Frank).
*Bonus points if people actually continue to call him Frank throughout the story
**More points if the character that started calling him Frank can't remember what nickname he gave him and starts calling him other names (Sam, Doug, George, Luke) which leads other characters to confusion causing him to consistently be called by several different names

- The villain has a young son or daughter who messes up the villain's plan by trying to play
-Bonus point if the kid's playing with the MC at the time
-Double bonus points if the kid's playing with the villain at the time
-Triple bonus points if the kid's playing with the villain
AND the MC at the same time, but they don't know it.
-Quadruple bonus points if they do know it, but are playing with him anyway

- Build up for a major infodump on the subject of the history of your fantasy world. The whole having the sage old geezer starting to tell the story of how the world was created or how the royal family came to be the royal family by defeating the big evil....
Only to have the rest of the crew booo him out and make remarks in the line of 'oh hush! we already know this you daft bugger,' or 'what, you think no one's heard this one before? don't you know any new stories,' or 'oi! I thought you were going to tell a story, not hold a blimming history lesson."

- Use something from the Evil Overlord List www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

- Include they phrase "My soul is an invisble shade of green"
-Bonus points if it's the MC or Villian.

- Include the quote: "'Because it's funny,' is not a good reason to turn enemy troops into fluffy pink bunnies."

- Have a gay character come out as straight. Bonus if they use the phrase 'closeted heterosexual'.

larrypotter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markaiken.com
These are easy: in my novel you will find, monkeys, sex (monkey or otherwise, haven't decided which yet!), firetrucks, a childhood toy, and the sentence, "I love cannibals -- I'd marry a cannibal!" How will you be able to put it down??

I have one more suggestion: every novel needs a suspected ufo landing.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, thanks Larry. Hmmmmm.....UFOs can carry the cannibals away?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
quidscribis said:
I have UFOs, but mine is a space-going scifi novel anyway...
Still counts. As long as some of them are unidentified ;)