Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
Wow. I'm quite surprised to find so many negative reactions to this book. Even though I felt that Robbins was trying a bit too hard in places, and the ending left a lot to be desired, I really enjoyed this book.

Of the characters, Kudra was my favorite. Maybe because she was Indian and her struggles struck a personal chord.

1. Jitterbug Perfume was originally published in 1984. How well does the book hold up more than 20 years later? Do you think people will still be reading it in another 20 years?

I think the book holds up very well today. I certainly enjoyed it, and it seemed like a timeless piece of writing to me.

2. What's your opinion of Robbins' writing style? Strengths and weaknesses?

He's too long-winded sometimes, and at places it seems like he's trying too hard to be clever, but most of the time, he IS clever. I particularly liked how he's able to bring in controversial subjects into the story and talk about them through his characters without going all preachy.

3. Robbins touches on potentially controversial subjects like sex, death, religion, and individualism. Did you find anything about the book objectionable?

Nope, absolutely not.

4. How do you feel about the characters?

I liked Kudra. I wanted to know what was happening with Alobar, but I agree that the characters could have been more fleshed out. I didn't really care about the rest.

5. Robbins relies heavily on humor; how successful are his attempts at being funny?

Not very. I've heard reviewers say they laughed out loud several times. I didn't laugh at all. Not once.

6. In an interview with January Magazine, Robbins says, "I think biographical information can get in the way of the reading experience. The interchange between the reader and the work. For example, I know far too much about Norman Mailer and Kurt Vonnegut. Because I know as much as I do about their personal lives, I can't read their work without this interjecting itself." Would you agree with this statement? Why or why not? Do you like to know a lot about the author of a book you're reading? Does the author's biography matter to you as a reader?

Yep, I agree. That's why I try never to find out about the authors I like to read. I don't want to know what assholes they are in their personal lives, because then I'd lose respect and not want to buy their books. So I base my judgments solely on the writing.

This was my first Tom Robbins' book, given to me by a friend. I'm pretty sure I'll be reading more.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to see another response.
I'm still planning on reading him again.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, almost 6 years since someone talked about this book! I'm currently reading it and enjoying it / not enjoying it. I'm losing track of things ... and his far-reaching metaphors throw me sometimes.

This one had me going "Whaaaat?" "A blush stained Madame Devalier in the way that debits color the ledgers of a failing business."

If Madame Devalier had been an accountant, or a CPA or tax attorney or some other business person who worked with ledgers, that would have worked for me. But she makes perfume! The only other person with her at the time is her assistant, who also makes perfume.

That metaphor seemed like such an unnatural connection that it really made me just wonder - how did that get past editing? Seemed like a true first-draft notion, that should have been replaced on second look.

A few other things like that are making it a little difficult for me to enjoy, although it does have an appealing dreamlike quality.

I'm not quite halfway through. Will probably finish. Anyone else read this recently?