• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Cloonfad Press

EasleyEd

This is your first complaint about Cloonfad Press because they are a relatively new small press.

So far they have only printed about 15-20 novels.

I had my first experience with the company in 2003. I write and edit fiction, and edited a few of the company's initial manuscripts as a freelancer. Later, Jack Sharkey, the publisher, agreed to publish my second book, Crimes Against Commerce.

Over the course of the next year I did things like personally write EVERY book editor in EVERY daily newspaper in America - no kidding - seeking a review for my novel. It also received extensive web coverage - this you can Google yourself. In Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble it had climbed two million places in standing between January and October 2006.

There were other promotions and sales events. I figured these were verifiable enough for this forum.

No, I did not expect to become a millionaire. However my quarterly acccount statement for October 1, 2006 listed me as having sold five books during 2006.

Heck, my Mom bought 20 books.

I complained about the sales, and turned the matter over to my agent. Jack became angry, refused to recognize my agent, and refused to provide an accounting. He said unknown authors often expect their books to do a lot better than they actually do.

Then he severed our relationship, gave six months notice on our contract, and said he'd be selling off the remaining copies he had on hand.

The situation left my agent free to put my book back on the market, which was fine with me. It was the first of a two-book set, and he could market as such.

I don't mean to slander Cloonfad Publishing. And I wouldn't slander a company like, say, Publish America, unless they miscalculated my royalties.

As a matter of fact, I understand Publish America does miscalculate royalties frequently.

I just wanted other writers to know I had some difficulties with Mr. Sharkey and Cloonfad Press, and hope other writers will think twice before signing with the company.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Libel. Written defamation is libel. That's something a writer should know.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Am I missing something here? Is it just me, or have I stumbled into the middle of an argument at the beginning of a thread? Something seems to be missing here, as if the discussion's been hacked at the trunk. In any case, I see a damn cute dog that seems fairly comfortable, so I know I'm not that crazy...

EasleyEd

Thanks for the note on that. The only real defense for libel is the truth. Been there and done that for a lot of years and never been in a courtroom for this.

Would love to make some money that way.

My point is that he hasn't done enough books to become a Publish America, and immediately becomes hyper when you compare him to Publish America, but his checks look a little spooky.

Was glad our relationship ended when it did.

Just be careful if you sign with him.

--E.D. Easley

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Looking at the website ...

Cloonfad Press titles are available through:
Ingram Books
Baker & Taylor

Translation: we don't make much effort to sell books

I note that a 120pp paperback sells for $10 on Amazon, which is not market pricing at all. It was a reprint of a 1998 Knopf book.

They claim to not be a "subsidy" publisher, but they do offer services, for a fee, that most publishers do as a matter of course. That raises all sorts of alarums in my mind.

Services include:
Pre-Press:
Manuscript Evaluation
Line Editing
Copy Editing & Proofreading
Formatting and type-setting
File Preparation
Cover and jacket design

Post-Production:
Printing
Shipping
Order fulfillment

Plus much more.

Edited to add what they want in terms of a query:

Send the first 30 pages along with a query letter, biography and marketing outline

Marketing outline? Publishers are supposed to market books, authors are supposed to WRITE books.

Last edited:

dobiwon

Planning to retire for the 5th time
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
magind7.wixsite.com
http://www.cloonfadpress.com/

I just visited this site, and they are making EasleyEd's Crimes Against Commerce available for free ($1.85 shipping only). Even at 100% royalty (net) you can't get very rich at those prices!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.cloonfadpress.com/

I just visited this site, and they are making EasleyEd's Crimes Against Commerce available for free ($1.85 shipping only). Even at 100% royalty (net) you can't get very rich at those prices!
But they'll make it up in volume! Or not, cuz they're now gone.