• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Breakaway Books

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I have no idea whether or not Breakaway Books is a good publisher or not. What I do know is that they're holding a "contest" that I find unethical.

From the bottom of breakawaybooks.com:

-- RUNNING AND SEX --
Personal essay, 750 to 2000 words.
First prize $1000, second prize $500, third prize $250.
The top 40 essays will be published in a book.

Running is a great sensual act, honing body, mind, and soul -- so how does it affect your love life? The nearly divine feelings of a good run are not so different from the mind-altering bliss of sex. Any stories of romance, eroticism, or sexuality (combined with some good running) are welcome. R-rated is fine, maybe even NC-17, but please no XXX.

Our prior writing contests have resulted in these excellent books:
How Running Changed My Life, Bicycle Love, and The Runner's High.
Deadline February 14, 2007 (but submit earlier if you can so they don't all arrive at once). Entry fee is $5. To submit an entry, mail it to...​

Basically, you're paying for them to consider your work for an anthology.

That's a reading fee.

And if they choose your work for the anthology, the odds are very high that you will not get paid anything for it-- instead, YOU WILL HAVE PAID to be in the anthology. Only the "top 3" will get paid. The other 37 people chosen for the anthology are not compensated, but instead have spent $5.00 plus postage and used up the first rights to their piece as well as the time spent writing an essay on this specialized topic.

You should never have to pay to have your work considered for an anthology. Calling it a "contest" doesn't change that.​

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
One of the best books I've ever read is called "In Memory of Running," by Ron Mc Larty. I try to avoid running. I'd rather dance.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I take the dogs on walks. Sometimes I run, but it makes me feel sweaty and tired. After that I don't anything else to add to the sweaty and tired feeling. I want a shower. Alone.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
Um, wow. That's unfortunate. I've had nothing but good (though very limited) experience with them. I've seen their books out in the wild on real-life shelves.

I have a story in How Running Changed My Life. It was a similar setup other than the entry fee. it was a contest advertised, I believe, in Poets and Writers. I did not give nor did they ask for an entry fee. Only the "best" three stories got money. I did get two (I think. It's been a couple years) copies of the book along with a letter from the editor talking about how much he liked my entry.

It's a fantastic book, especially for runners.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Thanks for weighing in, Matt. It's unusual for a good publisher to "go bad," so I hope they'll figure out this is a dopey way to supplement their revenue. They don't even mention giving any copies to the writers who get published.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
And I mostly feel like I'm gonna puke. Yep, I think I'm doing it wrong, too.
I'm glad it's not just me who has that reaction.

I think I'll just stick to running, instead ...

Mac

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
No no no, you guys are doing it all wrong!

You hold your breath for five seconds, run and run and run, and run some more, then you slow down and feel that high, that above the clouds, floating, dizzy feeling, pounding chest...then you pass out.

Just like sex! Hmmm...maybe it's the sex I'm doing wrong then since I'm dizzy and passing out?

Kentuk

I want to write what I want to write
Registered
Reaction score
They could award the also included 25$ and cut the top three to 500/250/125 and avoid the problem. They probably don't realize it is a problem and that's disturbing.

TeddyG

The Other Shoe Will Fall!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.virginisrael.com
dont know about you guys...
but running or swimming...
when those endorphins are released...
when you get through the first couple of months of pain....
oh boy does it do wonders for everything not only for your sex life...

if you cannot stand running try laps in the pool....
Until a few months ago I used to swim 100 laps a day (2 km.) for speed and endurance...had to stop cause my leg really cramped up for a few days...and the doc said that i should give it a rest for a few months
But running or swimming are great - also for the head too....

as to the "contest"....the net is populated by these pay as you write contests...
the old PT Barnum adage proves itself again "there is a sucker born every minute"

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
Well, this is a strange place for me to suddenly pop in--concidering that I don't run much any more.

But, does this mean I prefer exercise to writing?

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, folks... Didn't mean to kill the thread...