Welcome to NaNoWriMo 2006!

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Hello, you crazy kiddos! Going to write a novel in a month, huh? Well, here's the place to talk about it.

For those who don't know, NaNoWriMo is short for "National Novel Writing Month," and it's an annual event each November. Writers are encouraged to simply write-- not for quality, but for quantity! Just kill off your inner critic and get the words down on paper.

It begins on November 1st, so you have plenty of time to prepare. Sign up here: http://www.nanowrimo.org/

Good luck!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Bite your tongue, young lady!

Not already. I must pre-order my coffee beans. I must pre-order my coffee beans.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Woot, woot! I can't wait! I signed up and bullied my mother into signing up too--she beat me to the finish line last year and I have to finish first this year.

Sarashay

Shut Up and Write
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Thanks Jenna!

This time around I'm going to prepare a little more. I'm thinking of giving the The Snowflake Method a try while it's still October.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Geez, the title of this thread sounds like the very first rejection:

Na no wri mo. Agent come to Na’s cave. Na proud, show agent novel on cave wall.

Agent say ‘Na no wri mo. Plot thin. Too verby. Spelling sux. Na no wri mo. Go get real job.’

Agent pee on Na’s wall, then leaves. Na depressed. Na feel cheated. Big lizard lie to Na, tell Na use big words. Na gonna go find the saurus. Beat with club. Have BBQ.
Na no wri mo…….ooga.

Sarashay

Shut Up and Write
Registered
Reaction score
Don't despair, Lloyd--I failed my first year, too, but I succeeded in my second year. It can happen.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Same here - I got a measly 4,000 words my first year round, finished the second time and didn't get even one word on paper last year.

Hoping it's an odd year, even year thing.

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a municipal liaison for nano in my town. One of the people in my group failed 3 years running, but crossed the finish line last year. Be persistent! Try again!

I use nano as an opportunity to try new things. This year I'm trying to find a happy medium between winging it (too easy to get paralyzed) and outlining (stifles me a little).

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't even have to be finished, it just has to be 50,000 words. I made it to 50,000 last year but added a lot of hand-waving synopsis at the end. I view what I wrote more as an extended outline than a true first draft.

The No Plot, No Problem book describes NaNo, and is a blast to read.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Go for it! Last year a friend of mine convinced (browbeat) me into trying NaNo, and I had a great time. I'm trying to decide whether I'll do it this year. I'm trying to get my first draft done on my current WIP by the end of the year.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I didn't know we got a subforum and everything! Cool beans, Jenna, and thankyou!!!!!

I'm in. :D Over there, I'm... quidscribis. And I'm the ML for this tiny little excuse for a country. And I have no idea what I'll be writing. :D

Rivana

Walks in the shades.
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rivanacreations.com
Yay! I'm in and I even managed to get this name as well. Maybe I'll finally be able to whip that novel I've been messing with into shape.
Just write, right you are. Grammar and spelling mistakes, plot holes the size of Texas, but writing there will be done. Oh yes...

K_Woods

9 of 10 Overlords prefer Evil Pie!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
web.itctel.com
Heh, my challenge is to be able to do this while taking care of an infant son and keeping the house maintained. Hubby will probably be able to pitch in a little on the weekends, but I don't want to put too much pressure on him -- his workweeks are rough. I'd love to hear how other NaNo moms (or dads, stay-at-home dads are cool too!) of wee little ones manage this.

I've already got one idea I can't use for NaNo, because I've started working on it. I guess that's a good sign that I can at least BIC. Sorta.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I'm all signed up. I failed all three years I tried but now I believe I have something solid to work on. My name is rosemerry over there.

It's only 1700 a day. I'm sure I can do it this year as I sufficiently silenced my inner critic.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Excuse me, PEOPLE! There is no FAILING in NANOWRIMO. It's a motivation to write. So write. Who cares how many words you get in the end...the writing is what matters. If you sign up and come out with 5,000 words...that's 5,000 words! Enjoy people...it's a great motivator.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Sarashay said:
Don't despair, Lloyd--I failed my first year, too, but I succeeded in my second year. It can happen.

Me too.

I got to the half-way point my first year and actually "won" last year. I'm working on that manuscript again, adding to it, editing, all that jazz.

I have absolutely NO idea what I'm going to work on this year.

samgail

poll dancer
Registered
Reaction score
What am i getting into?

All right, all right! I signed up, i am samgail over there as well. You crazy people talked me into it. :D Thank you!
Sam

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've lost my mind and signed up as soccer_mom. I don't know how I'll squeeze out 50K, but I'll do my best.