AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Magnoff Publishing (UK)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Magnoff Publishing (UK)

Hi all
    I've done a search of the Index and forum, but no mention of Magnoff. Has anyone had dealings with them? If so, what were your experiences?
    Thanks in advance
    Jo

Feebs2911

Magnoff

They bounce on Google, so suspect they are defunct

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    I've had a look at their website and there's only one book listed: Brian Deegan's "The Wave of Space Truth". Which you can buy using Paypal, direct from the site. I suspect that Magnoff is Mr Deegan's own little organisation, and that he's the only writer that Magnoff will ever publish. I could be wrong....

Well, here we go again. It looks like a private label (one book) masquerading as a publisher. I don't know why they do this, but there are hundreds of such websites out there. They do nothing by clog up my search for legitimate small pressess.

Tri

Thanks for the feedback. I have seen comments since that people have submitted and not heard anything for months. I don't know why they would set up as publishers if they aren't going to publish - seems daft.
    Jo

Cool

I guess there's something about owning your own label that feeds the ego. It's also a terrific way to get writers to check out your site--knocks the traffic hits sky-high, with the intention of selling your book. Great gimmick, wot?

I mean, a personal website to sell your book might get you 300--400 hits in a year. Claim you're a publisher, with the intention of giving your book the attention it deserves, and suddenly your swamped with tens of thousands of hits per month from eager writers (who are also writers BTW)

We should have a name for these publicity hounds. Drive-by-publishers?

Tri

Quote Originally Posted by triceretops
    I mean, a personal website to sell your book might get you 300--400 hits in a year. Claim you're a publisher, with the intention of giving your book the attention it deserves, and suddenly your swamped with tens of thousands of hits per month from eager writers (who are also writers BTW)

We should have a name for these publicity hounds. Drive-by-publishers?
    There's a bit of discussion on this phenomenon here at the end of this thread, including a link to a post by Lee Goldberg on the subject.

As to tens of thousands of hits per month from eager writers, well, I doubt any of them -- or more than a tiny, tiny fraction -- are going to actually buy the book.

If "micro-publisher" is Bobby Sue spending her weeknights and days off in her basement office to self-pub for you, how about "nano-publisher"? Or if that's too close to NaNo, we could call them "picayune publishers". Or just be direct and say "self-pub".
    #

Nothing’s inherently wrong with telling; nothing’s inherently wrong with showing. . . .
    When Picasso paints a canvas using only blue, you can still tell that he knows what he’s doing with color. When I paint a canvas using only blue, you will be quite certain from the result that it’s because I have no clue what to do with red or yellow—and you won’t be too sure I’ve got a grip on blue, either. Learn all the colors; then choose whichever seems right at the moment. Master the whole craft. ~ Keith Snyder

Wink

Yeah, solo, thanks for that thread. I checked it out. Yeah, I'm exagerating about those kinds of numbers. It depends on how many links they have. Want to see a real operator, check out Reagent, who bamboozed my agent and I into writing up a complete chapter by chapter novel outline--spending 60 hours, just to submit to this crook. He has NO intention of publishing anyone!

Tri