Status
Not open for further replies.

theengel

Complete Joke
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sahdguide.info
I've tried finding a agent for my novel with absolutely no luck...and I kind of spent a year forgetting all the ediquette.

The last two weeks I spent helping a non-writer develop her sample chapters for a book she's trying to sell to the 'for dummies' publisher (It looks like she might get the contract).

Well during that time, I got familiar with the dummies style, and thought, "Hey, I could write a dummies book for printer repair."

So I worked up an outline (just a basic table of contents) and sent out a few queries to agents.

This morning I got a bite from one who is "very interested". Now I'm suppose to email her a copy of the proposal over the weekend. Why do I charge in without being prepared????

I've never written a proposal, and have no idea where to start. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Maybe some links for complete beginners?

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
theengle,

There's a long helpful section on nonfiction proposals in Jenna's thread on the non-fiction book publishing process. It's the "sticky" at the top of the non-fiction forurm, but you can get to it from here: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22176

In my experience, differenct publishers will have somewhat varying guidelines. My experience is limited to knitting books, and to the three publishers whose guidelines I've actually seen. But, they were very similar to what Jenna describes, so if you follow her format and suggestions you can't go wrong. You should be able to put this together fairly quickly. I found that the hardest parts were trying to characterize the market for my books, the marketing for my books, the competition, and why my book would be better. If I'd had the advantage of Jenna's advice before I wrote my proposals, they would have been much, much better.

Best of luck with your proposal - it sounds like a truly useful book.

theengel

Complete Joke
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sahdguide.info
Thanks for the response!

One question (for whomever will answer).

I really want to sell this as a dummies book. Should I write the proposal specifically for them?

Also, is it permissable to write it in first person?

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
theengel said:
I really want to sell this as a dummies book. Should I write the proposal specifically for them?

Also, is it permissable to write it in first person?

That seems like the most efficient way to begin.

I think you could write in first person in some sections (like platform), but that in other areas third person would be more appropriate (like describing the contents and the competition). You're a writer - you decide what works best.

Status
Not open for further replies.