Not open for further replies.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Workers of the World...shut-up and get back to work!

You can't legitmately oppose a sovereign authority that was granted power by a valid social contract. Your chains are an imaginary construct of your own making.

And look at that! Right over there...a football game!

How's that, Mac?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Workers of the world--express your personal power. No one OWNS your labor, but you. No one has any specific right to profit from your labor, unless you foolishly give it away, in the unholy name of Corporate Capitalism--which will eventually reduce the economy to so much rubble and create a new serf class.

Unite! Demand economic parity!

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Spooky, we already have them. We just call them "illegal immigrants" instead of "serf."

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
MacAllister said:
Spooky, we already have them. We just call them "illegal immigrants" instead of "serf."
I like serfs better. I may just start referring to illegals are serfs. New catchy phrase that won't offend.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Focus, people! Stop watching TV and think about the essential inequity of what a company pays a CEO who does little but move people around like chess pieces, and what that same company pays the guy in shipping, who actually gets product to the customer. And what that company pays the shareholders--who do nothing at all, some of 'em.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
By defintion, serfs are intransient and tied to the land by feudal obligation. Peasants have more freedom in this regard, but not much more.

"Gypsies" would be a more appropriate classification, for a number of reasons. There are few people still alive in today's world that lived in Europe in the late 19th/early 20th centuries. That time and the role of the gypsies therein is largely a void in historical understanding.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Eh. I think you could make a case, actually, for illegal workers as a class being tied to "land" in the guise of specific industries.

As for feudal obligation...I'll have to think about that. You might have me, there.

Certainly, though, if we may substitute the labor demand that brings 'em, and the laws that make it so very difficult for them to change classes in an upward direction, then there are valid parallels.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
But "gypsies" is so much nearer the mark. The gypsy population was not recognized as a legitmate part of most nations through which they roamed. They went where the work was, though did have close-to-permanent settlements in some places. And for a people so apart from recognized society, is it any wonder that many were involved in illegal activities?

Think on this: if the gypsy population was still what it was by the time of the Soviet expansion, how would they have been treated, en masse? If they somehow made it through this period, how would the EU view them now?

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Hmm. To my knowledge, though, entire industries weren't more-or-less dependent upon year-round gypsy labor, to continue to function.

Of course, I could be wrong. What I actually know about gypsies is almost as much as I know about String Theory.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
MacAllister said:
As for feudal obligation...I'll have to think about that. You might have me, there.
There is a certain feudal obligation with serfs in America. I suspect they are obliged to Taco Bell, big farms, and greedy companies that take advantage of their legal status. So the feudal system (in America) might not have Barons or a monarchy, but it does exist in other forms.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
MacAllister said:
Hmm. To my knowledge, though, entire industries weren't more-or-less dependent upon year-round gypsy labor, to continue to function.
Entire industries aren't depnedent on illegal immigrant labor here, not really. companies are just using an available market in labor, illegal though it may be. Stop all illegal immigrant labor and the industries won't go away, they'll adapt. Though your sugar might cost a few more pennies on the pound...

Of course, I could be wrong. What I actually know about gypsies is almost as much as I know about String Theory.
The viability of string theory is based on a view presupposing a certain rigidity of space, with limited parameters of n-dimensions. Moreover, the term itself suggests a wholly Euclidean perspective, making it a misnomer from the get-go... :D

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
SpookyWriter said:
There is a certain feudal obligation with serfs in America. I suspect they are obliged to Taco Bell, big farms, and greedy companies that take advantage of their legal status. So the feudal system (in America) might not have Barons or a monarchy, but it does exist in other forms.
But it's not feudal, not in the least. Find a different term.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
robeiae said:
Are they not tied to the land (corporate) owner? So what other term is there to describe a class of peoples who are obligated to their masters (so they don't get turned into CIS) that would be fitting?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
SpookyWriter said:
Are they not tied to the land (corporate) owner? So what other term is there to describe a class of peoples who are obligated to their masters (so they don't get turned into CIS) that would be fitting?
By defintion, feudal systems involve more than two parties. Feudal obligations must exist throughout a society, at large, for that society to be properly labelled 'feudal.' Thus, the term is not appropriate here. Yes, it's a bit of a catch-22--that's why there have been many scholars who have suggested getting rid of the term 'feudalism' altogether. It's almost as poorly understood and improperly invoked as 'fascism.'

Also:
1) They are not tied to the land/corporation in a legal sense--feudal obligations are enforcable legal contracts, within the framework of a feudal society.
2) Their obligations are self-imposed, any way your slice it. Their potential difficulties with INS and the like are a product of their choices. That doesn't mean there isn't a problem, but the problem should be characterized correctly.
3) As to other terms--how about 'illegal workers'?

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
robeiae said:

I think Gypsy is a very accurate term, since these migrant workers are drawn to opportunities and are frequently blamed for unsolved crimes as well as bad luck and weather problems. :)

Some other terms may be: Economic Expatriate, NeoNomad or Semiannual Commuter.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Okay. I can go with the Gypsy comparison. :p

I'm intrigued at the level of inflammatory language I see used on all sides of the national discussion about illegal immigration--I think it often serves to obscure the issues, rather than illuminate them. But then, I suspect sometimes that's what that level of rhetoric is really designed to do.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
MacAllister said:
But then, I suspect sometimes that's what that level of rhetoric is really designed to do.

Of course. Political discourse in the U.S. has been taken over by marketing firms.

Reaction score
"You can usually find the correct answer to any issue up for debate by looking in the middle."
Ralph Waldo Thrilly

Shut the border down. Have a guest worker program. Put the people here already on the path to legal status.

It ain't rocket science.

Thank you.

Deleted member 42

I don't like feudal, since as Rob points out, there are no contractual feudal obligations. Serf might work in some very very narrow cases, like corporate farm systems, since the serf was not contractually tied to the land. Gypsy doesn't work since the Rom for cultural reasons do not "work" for non Rom -- such labor violates purity laws, making the Rom who engaged in non-pure practices outcast and unclean.

Migrant workers maybe?

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
billythrilly7th said:
Shut the border down. Have a guest worker program. Put the people here already on the path to legal status.

It ain't rocket science.

Thank you.

It ain't cheap, either:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/21/AR2006082101539.html

The CBO's five-year cost estimates include $800 million to hire 1,000 additional Border Patrol agents; $2.6 billion to build detention facilities for 20,000; $3.3 billion to build and maintain 370 miles of border fencing and 500 miles of vehicle barriers along the U.S.-Mexico frontier; and $1.6 billion to establish a computerized system to verify the eligibility of applicants for lawful employment.

The CBO study, released Friday evening, not only details the Senate bill's cost but also enumerates the plan's impact on the population. By 2016, CBO researchers estimate, more than 16 million people would either become legal permanent residents under the bill or attain some other legal status. That total includes 4.4 million legalized undocumented workers, 3.3 million guest workers and 2.6 million family members brought in through the new programs. By 2026, the addition to the U.S. population would jump to 24.4 million.

That number is far lower than the Heritage Foundation's estimate of 103 million immigrants legalized by 2026, a calculation that has been widely circulated in conservative circles. But the CBO estimate is far higher than the 8 million figure White House officials have pointed to in their rebuttal of the Heritage study.

The report said legalized immigrants would represent "only a modest increase" in enrollment for child nutrition programs, food stamps and Medicaid. Caseloads would be 2 to 3 percent higher by 2016, the CBO said.

But that may understate the political costs of those entitlement claims. Over the next decade, legalized workers and their families, in addition to guest workers and theirs, would claim $24.5 billion in tax refunds through the earned income credit and child credit, $15.4 billion in Medicare and Medicaid, $5.2 billion in Social Security benefits and $3.7 billion in food stamps and child nutrition programs, the report estimates.

I'm sure the Mexican government will love this.

Status
Not open for further replies.