How much influence does the media have over their sports?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2607496

This article about the fine on Wallace for hitting Simms made me wonder about this. The ref didn't think it was excessive and didn't call a penalty. This was last Sunday and they issue a fine now?

Was this influenced by the outcry?

I'm also thinking about the furor caused by the Clemson/Oklahoma instant replay decision. It seems like the sports media no longer simply reports sporting news. It really shapes the way governing bodies treat their atheletes.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Soccer Mom said:
Was this influenced by the outcry?
The decision to fine Wallace was made the day after the game. Coach Gruden and GM Bruce Allen sent the league a tape of the hit, and they learned the same day that a fine would be issued. This was reported by the Saint Pete Times on Tuesday, yet the official notice by the league wasn't issued until later in the week.

In this case, I don't feel the media was responsible, but rather the outcry came mostly from Gruden and Allen (and rightly so). During that game, the Panthers were called twice for roughing the passer, and should have been called for the same violation a number of other times. The defenders literally pounded the crap out of Simms, often well after the ball had left his hands. But alas, as we know all too well, ruptured spleens are only a fraction of the many injuries that befall some football players.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. I'm writing this as the NFL has handed down the most stringent suspension ever for an on the field incident. 35 stitches.

I just feel like sometimes the media attention puts pressure on sports entities to act where they otherwise wouldn't. For example, the Oklahoma/Clemson game. Sure they got the call wrong but it's hardly the first time that's happened. I just wonder if they would have suspended the officiating crew if the outcry had simply been from Oklahoma and not from the media.

Not that that is necessarily a bad thing. It's good for them to know that people are watching.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I was just reading about the punishment Haynesworth received. It's incredible how anyone would kick a man in the face during a game. I still can't believe that happened, even after watching numerous replays.

A five game suspension is a stiff penalty that'll send a stern message throughout the NFL. We may never see Haynesworth in uniform again, which may come as bad news only to his immediate family.

I haven't followed the Oklahoma/Clemson saga, but yeah, when an officiating crew is suspended, something must've given voice to the "outcry." Thank goodness media coverage for college sports is fair and balanced and has no interest in game outcomes.;)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
he he he. Oh no. Living in an area heavily populated with Big 12 influence, our media was completely unbiased. ;)

The305itself

Registered
Reaction score
a lot, unless you want to pay to go to every sporting event personally