• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agent] Rachel Coyne (nee Vater)

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Thoughts?

There's a form on her website, does that mean she accepts email queries?

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
I did, didn't see anything in Bewares. ;)

Then again, I have what my best friend calls "Stupid Eyes". I miss a lot. :p

Maddog

Registered
Reaction score
You probably won't find her here in Bewares. She recently sold a first timer's novel in a three book deal at auction for 500K. 'Nuff said?

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh hoo hoo!

So she's like the big time?

Or just legit?

CaitlinK18

"Sephiroth is my bishie!"
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, she's like "big time."

And she's also my agent, so feel free to PM me for more info.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Maddog said:
She recently sold a first timer's novel in a three book deal at auction for 500K. 'Nuff said?
I sure hope it's Liam Jackson's book deal you're referring to. He deserves at least that much.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rachel Vater is completely legit.

Meanwhile...

*goggles at Melissa Marr*

Hey, I think I know who you are. You wouldn't happen to be from the Night Shade Books discussion boards, would you? I know I haven't been there for a while, but I remember you.

Welcome to AW. :)

Melissa_Marr

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-marr.com
Alan Yee said:
Rachel Vater is completely legit.

Meanwhile...

*goggles at Melissa Marr*

Hey, I think I know who you are. You wouldn't happen to be from the Night Shade Books discussion boards, would you? I know I haven't been there for a while, but I remember you.

Welcome to AW. :)

I've been there a few times, was a member of OWW for a year, then I kinda retreated to my cave for a year to write a couple novels.

Thank you Alan & Stormie for the welcome.

Last edited:

Levi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.levibrackman.com
Project nachonaco said:
Thoughts?

Rachel Vater was my agent for a while and although she has a fantastic reputation when it comes to fiction and she was pleasant to work with and tried her best to sell my work however, clearly non-fiction is not where she shines.

So if you are writing fiction you will be lucky to land Rachel as an agent but if you are a non-fiction writer my advise would be for you to look for an experienced agent who has sold your type of non-fiction before.

I am now with a different agent who has much more experience with non-fiction and the difference is very noticeable.

Last edited:

blackbird

Registered
Reaction score
No. Liam Jackson is with PMA.
Silver King said:
I sure hope it's Liam Jackson's book deal you're referring to. He deserves at least that much.

Manxom Vroom

A proper fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jvalka.blogspot.com
I received my nicest rejection ever from Rachel Vater, where she said that my novel was "charming but quieter than she hoped, and that she wouldn't be sure of how to market it" (to paraphrase). It hurt to be turned down, but I don't think anyone else has ever called my writing "charming" before. :)

Melissa_Marr

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-marr.com
Toni1953 said:
Is she primarily YA or does she handle other types of fiction, such as fantasy or mystery?

She is primarily fantasy. My YA was her first YA, but she has the connections to do YA & adult. Most of her sales this year were fantasy, but she also sold a memoir & a funny adult romance that I know of. . .

She blogs on livejournal as Agent X too, so you can get a feel for her taste by reading her blog too.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I get the impression from her blog that she is more interested in contemporary/urban fantasy than 'classic' fantasy.
Anyone care to comment?

Melissa_Marr

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-marr.com
She does both. Off the top of my head I know she just sold Piers Anthony's latest (last week), & she sold another of Marie Brennan's texts last year. Those are both fantasy. She's also had strong UF sales. Caitlin (who is the one who told me abt the board & hangs out here some) does UF. That big sale for a debut author (me) was UF, and it got a lot of buzz, so she's had editors express interest in what else she can find them in UF adult & YA. Since they want what she has, it makes sense that she's seeking more UF, but it's certainly not all she's seeking. :)

FWIW, she did a Q & A that I posted on my journal since a lot of folks were asking me about her after the sale. I keep it as a "sticky note" on my livejournal so it's always the first/top entry there-- http://melissa-writing.livejournal.com

Hope something there is of use.

Melissa

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
She turned me down flat for my "classic" fantasy. Said she still liked the premise but basically not the execution (based on the first five pages, that is).

I'm not bitter.

:cry:

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know she loves urban fantasy, which my book could reasonably be called, but apparently it sounds like she might not like dark urban, as Michele said.

Melanie Nilles

What're you looking at?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanienilles.com
Does anyone know how long it takes to get a response on an e-query from the website form? Does she send rejections for queries submitted that way or is no news a rejection?

Melanie

Annwyn

Registered
Reaction score
It took about 6 weeks before I heard back from her - and yes, she does send rejections for e-queries...