• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Lake Fossil Press

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChocolateMouse

This is my first post. I've been looking for a place where I could get some of my questions answered about various publishers. I went through the index and that helped a lot. However, I discovered that one of the publishers on my list were not mentioned here, so hopefully you'll not mind my asking about them. Does anyone know anything about Lake Fossil Press?

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
It seems to be a micro-micro press for printing the works of the editor. He goes through Lulu, and in his blog makes mention of getting EIGHT more books ordered.

http://people.lulu.com/blogs/view.php?blog_id=1869

I don't think it's a serious attempt at publishing.

Regards,
Scott

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch. Rule number one; if you're ever in a pickle of the financial kind, don't make a PDF of the particulars and post it on the Internet.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Urk, I nearly missed this in the guidelines:

I am looking to either publish this on lulu.com, cafepress.com or even PublishAmerica.com. I am trying to suggest to Cafepress that they need a better system for PDF publication. PublishAmerica.com almost became the home of House of Spiders 3 so I am thinking something more but I don't think PA would allow for inserting photos into the document like lulu.com does.
Just in case it needs to be said again: Avoid.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Heh, that blog was good fun reading. Are you guys sure this isn't a joke? Reads like one.

ChocolateMouse

I wish it were a joke. I know all the people that he's referring to.

Julianne

Registered
Reaction score
Are you guys sure this isn't a joke? Reads like one.

Nope, it's not a joke. He sends death threats for imagined slights. See:

http://www.xanga.com/horrorgal/599776241/quakes-and-storms-review-up-at-lulu.html

http://www.xanga.com/horrorgal/600005249/nickys-xanga-shut-down.html

Also, I suppose this isn't the thread for this, but somewhere Pacione says repeatedly that he is going to send his big bad expose/memoir to Publish America. He claims that they are "knocking on his door". :roll:

ChocolateMouse

If there is one thing that I have learned since posting my original question is that it pays to be careful. Too many things seem to be one thing and are actually another.

I don't feel like such a babe in the woods any longer. I guess I'm now a Chocolate Mouse in the woods.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Julianne said:
Also, I suppose this isn't the thread for this, but somewhere Pacione says repeatedly that he is going to send his big bad expose/memoir to Publish America. He claims that they are "knocking on his door". :roll:

I'll bet they are - they heard there's a new one born every minute and are out there a-searchin'. :tongue

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I know that ordinarily people should be steered away from PA, but in this guy's case it could be fascinating to see what happens if he signs up with PA. I mean, who would you end up feeling the greatest sympathy for?

MM

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Try out this deathless prose for a no-brain nitwit:

"Being published is a right. Not a f****** privilege, and sabotaging publications of stories is unconstitutional. I will take this shit to the press and they will suffer the fate that Gothic.net suffered, half the reason why Gothic.net was burned under the McKeeman management is because of the fact I did take what they were doing to the press. Keep messing with my books and publications, I will take everything to the press and you will all be done in this business. Freedom of press m***** f*****, and you're violating my right to freedom of press. The first amendment is designed for the unpopular speech and that pisses you off even more. I am going to fuck with all of you using the document that this country was designed on."

Freedom of the press refers to newspapers and magazines and is limited to prohibiting prior restraint.

Commercial publishing is not the same thing.

I notice there is no place to comment on his blog entries.

Regards,

Scott

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, this is the guy who claims Stephen King is stealing his ideas telepathically. I wish I was making that up. :(

It's both sad and scary. Mostly scary.

Julianne

Registered
Reaction score
"Being published is a right. Not a f****** privilege...

The guy is seriously out of touch with reality. Since he claims to be a publisher, how does he justify rejecting stories submitted to him?

Last edited:

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, it's not a joke. He sends death threats for imagined slights.

Even more ominous, he then withdraws the death threat and substitutes it with a threat he considers to be far worse than death - an allegation of e-book piracy.

You're going to die, you mothe..... No, on second thoughts, I'm reporting you to the appropriate authorities...

Nelson Ford

Registered
Reaction score
Based on what he prints I'm not certain he rejects things.

I think that's a fair assessment. He prints them, but I doubt he actually edits them. Many of his own stories are unreadable at best. Some authors whose stories he's printed are unpolished, but have potential; others are simply awful.

Mind you, that's my assessment based on reading stories the other authors have posted publicly on places such as Author's Den or Writer's Cafe, as well as his own publicly posted stories.

His latest fiasco involved a "you publish me, and I'll publish you" deal with the editor of The Literary Bone, which shut down after one issue.

Last edited:

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
I have been called many, MANY unpleasant names by this person. There are very few words in the English language that offend me, but him calling me the C-word did the trick... not to mention made the DH VERY upset.

My crime? Writing: "LOL" in response to a post that a friend of mine made on one of her blogs. I made peace with him, but only after I said that I had neither the time nor the patience to devote to his silliness.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Pacione! LOL! LOL! LOL! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.