The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Fossil Press

ChocolateMouse

Lake Fossil Press

This is my first post. I've been looking for a place where I could get some of my questions answered about various publishers. I went through the index and that helped a lot. However, I discovered that one of the publishers on my list were not mentioned here, so hopefully you'll not mind my asking about them. Does anyone know anything about Lake Fossil Press?

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us at AW Popeyesays's Avatar
    It seems to be a micro-micro press for printing the works of the editor. He goes through Lulu, and in his blog makes mention of getting EIGHT more books ordered.

http://people.lulu.com/blogs/view.php?blog_id=1869

I don't think it's a serious attempt at publishing.

Regards,
    Scott
    Okay, damnit, I blog http://cscottsaylorsbooks.blogspot.com/
    Sword of the Dajjal e-book, Published by BooksForABuck.com May, 2007 ISBN: 978-1-602-052-2 http://www.booksforabuck.com/sfpages...rd_dajjal.html
    Out in print early 2008 from Blu Phi'er
    Jars of Doom out mid 2008 from Blu Phi'er
    http://www.bluphier.com/

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Heh, that's putting it mildly. Let’s just say that when an editor doesn't pay his contributors, then charges reading fees for the next project, I think it a fair bet you’d be better off setting up your own Lulu account. Assuming POD is how you want to go, of course.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Ouch. Rule number one; if you're ever in a pickle of the financial kind, don't make a PDF of the particulars and post it on the Internet.
    #

Nothing’s inherently wrong with telling; nothing’s inherently wrong with showing. . . .
    When Picasso paints a canvas using only blue, you can still tell that he knows what he’s doing with color. When I paint a canvas using only blue, you will be quite certain from the result that it’s because I have no clue what to do with red or yellow—and you won’t be too sure I’ve got a grip on blue, either. Learn all the colors; then choose whichever seems right at the moment. Master the whole craft. ~ Keith Snyder

Just don't. Google the owner's name and you'll come up with some interesting stories.
    I Have Measured Out My Life with Coffee Spoons ...
    And I've Found Tea to be Better

My characters make morally ambiguous decisions in order to advance the plot.

Twittering -- it's like crack for bloggers

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Oh, dear. N*ck*l**s P*c**n*

Let's just say "Not a professional credit" and leave it at that.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Urk, I nearly missed this in the guidelines:

I am looking to either publish this on lulu.com, cafepress.com or even PublishAmerica.com. I am trying to suggest to Cafepress that they need a better system for PDF publication. PublishAmerica.com almost became the home of House of Spiders 3 so I am thinking something more but I don't think PA would allow for inserting photos into the document like lulu.com does.
    Just in case it needs to be said again: Avoid.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Heh, that blog was good fun reading. Are you guys sure this isn't a joke? Reads like one.

ChocolateMouse
    I wish it were a joke. I know all the people that he's referring to.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Julianne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Havlen View Post
    Are you guys sure this isn't a joke? Reads like one.
    Nope, it's not a joke. He sends death threats for imagined slights. See:

http://www.xanga.com/horrorgal/59977...p-at-lulu.html

http://www.xanga.com/horrorgal/60000...shut-down.html

Also, I suppose this isn't the thread for this, but somewhere Pacione says repeatedly that he is going to send his big bad expose/memoir to Publish America. He claims that they are "knocking on his door".
    I blog when I feel like it.

ChocolateMouse
    If there is one thing that I have learned since posting my original question is that it pays to be careful. Too many things seem to be one thing and are actually another.

I don't feel like such a babe in the woods any longer. I guess I'm now a Chocolate Mouse in the woods.

practical experience, FTW BarbJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julianne
    Also, I suppose this isn't the thread for this, but somewhere Pacione says repeatedly that he is going to send his big bad expose/memoir to Publish America. He claims that they are "knocking on his door".
    I'll bet they are - they heard there's a new one born every minute and are out there a-searchin'.

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    I know that ordinarily people should be steered away from PA, but in this guy's case it could be fascinating to see what happens if he signs up with PA. I mean, who would you end up feeling the greatest sympathy for?

MM

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you mscelina's Avatar
    Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fudz. Not pie. I do not share pie. EVER.
    Wow. I don't think I'd even touch that one. There's a difference between stoopid and psychotic.

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us at AW Popeyesays's Avatar
    Try out this deathless prose for a no-brain nitwit:

"Being published is a right. Not a f****** privilege, and sabotaging publications of stories is unconstitutional. I will take this shit to the press and they will suffer the fate that Gothic.net suffered, half the reason why Gothic.net was burned under the McKeeman management is because of the fact I did take what they were doing to the press. Keep messing with my books and publications, I will take everything to the press and you will all be done in this business. Freedom of press m***** f*****, and you're violating my right to freedom of press. The first amendment is designed for the unpopular speech and that pisses you off even more. I am going to fuck with all of you using the document that this country was designed on."

Freedom of the press refers to newspapers and magazines and is limited to prohibiting prior restraint.

Commercial publishing is not the same thing.

I notice there is no place to comment on his blog entries.

Regards,

Scott
    Last edited by Popeyesays; 08-14-2007 at 09:50 PM. Reason: missed a profanity
    Okay, damnit, I blog http://cscottsaylorsbooks.blogspot.com/
    Sword of the Dajjal e-book, Published by BooksForABuck.com May, 2007 ISBN: 978-1-602-052-2 http://www.booksforabuck.com/sfpages...rd_dajjal.html
    Out in print early 2008 from Blu Phi'er
    Jars of Doom out mid 2008 from Blu Phi'er
    http://www.bluphier.com/

Yeah, this is the guy who claims Stephen King is stealing his ideas telepathically. I wish I was making that up.

It's both sad and scary. Mostly scary.
    <clickety to see my books

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think I’m disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

One of the links was blocked at work because it came under the "Tasteless" category.
    THE Official FreakTM
    That's not me in my avatar. That's Papa Emeritus II and the Nameless Ghouls of Ghost
    -- AARlist2, my romance reader discussion group
    Dubbed "Cool Thread Starter Girl" by JeanneTGC

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Julianne's Avatar
    "Being published is a right. Not a f****** privilege...
    The guy is seriously out of touch with reality. Since he claims to be a publisher, how does he justify rejecting stories submitted to him?
    Last edited by Julianne; 08-14-2007 at 11:27 PM.
    I blog when I feel like it.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Since he claims to be a publisher, how does he justify rejecting stories submitted to him?
    Based on what he prints I'm not certain he rejects things.

In the Yellow Woods
    Quote Originally Posted by Julianne View Post
    Nope, it's not a joke. He sends death threats for imagined slights.
    Even more ominous, he then withdraws the death threat and substitutes it with a threat he considers to be far worse than death - an allegation of e-book piracy.

You're going to die, you mothe..... No, on second thoughts, I'm reporting you to the appropriate authorities...
    I am returning this otherwise good typing paper to you because someone has printed gibberish all over it and put your name at the top.

Professor of English, Ohio University.

Pedantic Alert: The above is quotation #689 from Michael Moncur's (cynical) Quotations.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    Based on what he prints I'm not certain he rejects things.
    I think that's a fair assessment. He prints them, but I doubt he actually edits them. Many of his own stories are unreadable at best. Some authors whose stories he's printed are unpolished, but have potential; others are simply awful.

Mind you, that's my assessment based on reading stories the other authors have posted publicly on places such as Author's Den or Writer's Cafe, as well as his own publicly posted stories.

His latest fiasco involved a "you publish me, and I'll publish you" deal with the editor of The Literary Bone, which shut down after one issue.
    Last edited by Nelson Ford; 08-15-2007 at 05:26 AM. Reason: to fix a typo

Holding out for a Superhero... Sheryl Nantus's Avatar
    Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
    word is that he's recently started another fight on Myspace with a publisher...

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ogID=299929072

I'd stay far, far away from this one...

Working In A Coal Mine... Sonarbabe's Avatar
    I have been called many, MANY unpleasant names by this person. There are very few words in the English language that offend me, but him calling me the C-word did the trick... not to mention made the DH VERY upset.

My crime? Writing: "LOL" in response to a post that a friend of mine made on one of her blogs. I made peace with him, but only after I said that I had neither the time nor the patience to devote to his silliness.
    The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it. ~ Leo Rosten

2009 Acceptance Pledge 0/2
    2009 Rejection Pledge 0/10

Current WIP 46,492/65,000

Oooh! I have a website.

practical experience, FTW BarbJ's Avatar
    Hey, Pacione! LOL! LOL! LOL!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast