A compiled list of SF/Fantasy agents...

justpat

QueryTracker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.querytracker.net
Thanks Russ

While I'm here I thought I would update our stats. QueryTracker now has about 1500 users and we are tracking almost 10,000 query letters. This means we now have enough data to tell you all kinds of things about an agent. Things like:

Response Times.
Genres they have accepted or rejected.
We are even tracking whether or not they respond with form rejections or tend to give personal feedback. This is great if you are looking for an agent who is willing to tell you why you were rejected, thus allowing you to improve.

valen_sinclair

Blowing bubbles in the wind
Registered
Reaction score
Agent Query dot com will do the trick. You can search agents by genre represented. Each agent page tells whether they accept queries and if so by e-mail or not.

Regards,
Scott

FANTASIC SITE THANKS A WHOLE BUNDLE!!! YIPPPEEEEEEE

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
Just a little caveat

FANTASIC SITE THANKS A WHOLE BUNDLE!!! YIPPPEEEEEEE

Agentquery, Preditors & Editors and the other sites are terrific, no question.
But it's important to remember that, no matter how handy they are, they don't list ALL the possibilities.

Some of the best agents (particularly genre agents) have very little Web presence.

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
Here's another tip about agents, or at least a way to keep an eye out for new ones and ones that have moved agencies or made changes to what they're looking for. If you don't subscribe to Publishers Marketplace, it's a great resource for this kind of research. But the information won't fall in your lap, you'll have to dig a little. In the news items, there are often announcements about agents, new and those in transition. Also, take note in the deals as to who sold what to whom. Not all agents report their deals to PM, but I recently found the name of an agent I hadn't seen listed on any of the agent search sites, so it gave me something to look into. I'm a subscriber, but you don't have to subscribe to receive limited info or to search the PM website.

Dragon-lady

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
That's a great point about PM. In making up my agent list, I went to PM and did a search on "deals" in sci/fi fantasy. That way you find most of the agents who have sold in those genre (you can search on other genre also). It may not be as true in some, but fantasy tends to be a touch cliquish and you want an agent who actually has contacts with the genre publishers.

Locus is another great place for doing research.

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com

The Exorcist

Registered
Reaction score
Don't you hate it when they do that?
I thought good writing was good writing, period.

BTW- does Alternate History come under this heading, or is that historical fiction?

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
Lucienne Diver Has Left Spectrum

...in case no one's mentioned it here.

The Spectrum Agency represents many of the legendary names in F/SF, and Ms. Diver was there for 15 years.

She's now with the Knight Agency.

FYI.

Last edited:

orion_mk3

Ne Cede Malis
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up! She was on my list, and it wouldn't have done at all to send a query to the wrong place, even though the info appeared right.

Sunshine13

Mom by day, writer by night!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
christacarol.com
So I have a question....what are the guidelines for agents working in the same agency? Should you only pick one?