Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I wrote the outline for my current WIP last year. Almost exactly a year ago, because I began the project during NaNoWriMo. I got about 10k into it, and then quit. My heart just wasn't in that story at that particular time. Over the last ten months, I picked at the story, added another 9k words here and there.

On Monday, I picked up the outline, dusted off a few things, and started writing again. So far this week, I have added another 11k words, but the outline is more like a topographical map now. I can see the major mountains and valleys, but specific routes have been erased, intended destinations removed, and new paths inserted.

I like outlines as guides, not step by step directions, and use them as such.

Not that I write literary fiction. Just felt like adding my two cents.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
My WIP is somewhere between contemporary and literary fiction. It's certainly character-driven. However, I don't outline. I'm a real seat-of-your-pantser. Just the way I am, I guess.

That said, I have done a timeline because my characters' past greatly influences their present, and I had to make sure the mother didn't die before her baby was born, and other such details.

You could try a very rough outline with just the plot developments that arise from character interaction. Something happens in your novel, right?
Do whatever works for you, mate, and good luck.

Diviner

Registered
Reaction score
CaroGirl said:
My WIP is somewhere between contemporary and literary fiction. It's certainly character-driven. However, I don't outline. I'm a real seat-of-your-pantser. Just the way I am, I guess.

That said, I have done a timeline because my characters' past greatly influences their present, and I had to make sure the mother didn't die before her baby was born, and other such details.

You could try a very rough outline with just the plot developments that arise from character interaction. Something happens in your novel, right?
Do whatever works for you, mate, and good luck.

Thanks for the post. Your work sounds a bit like mine, a family with a history but mainly about what is happening right now.

What is the difference between literary and contemporary fiction, or is it just a sales distinction? I thought Girl with a Pearl Earring and The Red Tent were both excellent writing, but they are considered historical fiction, so I get confused about all this labeling.

I was amused by your comment "Something happens in your novel, right?" I have to confess that the reason I started wondering if I needed an outline was that working just from character interactions, I began to wonder if enough were happening. This is the first time I have started out so blindly. Yes, something happens but at this time I am not sure if it is enough. The more I work on it the more clearly I see my direction.

Thanks to the others who have responded. Some of the answers are most helpful. I am not looking for recipes, even though it may sound that way. I am trying to learn what has worked for others. I already have character sketches and setting sketches, so it wouldn't kill me to do a one page plot sketch. I can always ignore it just as I have ignored every other outline I have ever attempted. And I could do more than one scenario and ignore all of them, or even find one that is useful. I want those shadows on the wall of my cave to be as interesting as possible.

So thanks for the input.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I think some fiction is more difficult to pigeon-hole into a category. My WIP, for example, is not a particular genre, nor do I think it's particularly "literary", though a reader, agent or publisher might disagree because of its character-driven nature. I'm moving forward with the intention of querying literary agents and publishers when the work is complete.

Good luck with your ms.

Status
Not open for further replies.