• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Kimberley Cameron & Assocs. (formerly Reece Halsey North Lit. Agency)

HConn

Whore for genre
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.harryjconnolly.com
I couldn't find this agency in the index, so I guess I'm the first to ask.

Anyone have any dealings with this agency? One of the agents shows a dollar sign at P&E, but others aren't listed.

Thanks.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I emailed a query and synopsis on 5/31. I'll let you know what/if I hear back.

Good luck:)

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I sent my regular two page synopsis. I also sent the first 50 as an attachment, because it's easier and the site did NOT say to paste them in. Since I have seen agencies that say they want the sample pasted in, I assumed it was okay.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
I pasted the 50 pages into the original e-mail (because many places don't particularly like the idea of receiving unsolicited attachments), and they didn't say anything one way or another (about that particular aspect of the submission...I did receive a rejection).

I admire them for wading through 50 pages of slush on every single submission (or at least having their readers wade through 50 pages of slush)...

HConn

Whore for genre
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.harryjconnolly.com
I admire them for wading through 50 pages of slush on every single submission (or at least having their readers wade through 50 pages of slush)...

Or wading through three paragraphs before hitting the reject button.

After all, it only takes one bite to realize you're eating a s&%t sandwich.

HConn

Whore for genre
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.harryjconnolly.com
True, but why order the whole side of beef if you just want a roast beef sandwich?

I would say that 50 pages *is* just a sandwich. And sometimes you need a couple bites to discover that there is grape jelly, sardines or coffee grounds in there. Can that metaphor be stretched any further?

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
They rejected me, but it was on a real neat piece of paper with cool fonts.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Rejection. :cry: But it was a very nice form, and the salutation included my name (as opposed to Dear Author).

HConn

Whore for genre
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.harryjconnolly.com
True, but why order the whole side of beef if you just want a roast beef sandwich?

When I read a book, I give it about 50 pages to see if it passes the Eight Deadly Words test[SUP]1[/SUP]. I'll put a book down sooner, but if the book hasn't engaged me by 50, I'll move on to another.

A couple of the rejections I've received on my first 50 said, in essence: This is well-written, but when I reached the end of chapter 3 I didn't feel I *needed* to keep reading.

There are all sorts of good reasons to stop reading a manuscript early. The Eight Deadly Words test is one of mine.

[SUP]1[/SUP]These are the Eight Deadly Words: I Don't Care What Happens To These People.

astonwest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
I would say that 50 pages *is* just a sandwich. And sometimes you need a couple bites to discover that there is grape jelly, sardines or coffee grounds in there. Can that metaphor be stretched any further?
If you can't see all of the previously mentioned issues (sardines, etc.) by peeling off the top piece of bread (5-10 pages)...

;)

astonwest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
A couple of the rejections I've received on my first 50 said, in essence: This is well-written, but when I reached the end of chapter 3 I didn't feel I *needed* to keep reading.
Mine received (from RHN) the cut-and-paste response: Unfortunately, we don't feel that we are the right agency for your manuscript.

Space pirates are a pain in the ass when it comes to finding representation.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry Barbarique. :Hug2: Handing over another brand of concealer...

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
any tidbits on this agency?
they look reputable, but don't seem to
have a lot of sales or clients listed?

i've got a partial out to e evans here.
thanks!

David I

Registered
Reaction score
any tidbits on this agency?
they look reputable, but don't seem to
have a lot of sales or clients listed?

They don't? Well, I suppose it depends on how you define "a lot". Go to http://www.kimberleycameron.com/ and over on the left click "Fiction" and "Mysteries" and "Non-Fiction". Lists about 30 clients and nearly 70 books they've sold.

I don't know about Evans or Lang, but Kimberly Cameron is long-established a well-regarded. (And good-looking, too, not that it matters.)

She asked for a full of one of my novels, but I signed with another agent before she got to it. She congratulated me, and was in all respects quite charming and professional

Beware_of_Italics

Different from the rest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stuffandnonsense-auntkristin.blogspot.com
On March 29th I queried Kimberley Cameron. It shows in my email that they sent, but here it is August and still I've received no response. On their website it says:

On rare occasion, submissions get lost. Please do not hesitate to send a follow-up email if you haven't received a response within four weeks of submitting.

Since it's been way over four weeks and they receive so many queries, should I just resend everything?

Also, on their website it says:

Include a writing sample with your query (no more than fifty pages) and a one page synopsis. Please attach the writing sample and synopsis as separate Word documents.

I just realized that they meant to send the query and sample together, and then the synopsis. At the time I thought they meant they wanted the query, the writing sample, and the synopsis in 3 separate emails. Now I see they meant two emails. Do you think that's why they didn't respond, even with a rejection? On my end, it was an honest misunderstanding.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Also, on their website it says:

Include a writing sample with your query (no more than fifty pages) and a one page synopsis. Please attach the writing sample and synopsis as separate Word documents.

I just realized that they meant to send the query and sample together, and then the synopsis. At the time I thought they meant they wanted the query, the writing sample, and the synopsis in 3 separate emails. Now I see they meant two emails. Do you think that's why they didn't respond, even with a rejection? On my end, it was an honest misunderstanding.
Actually, they mean attach both the writing sample and the synopsis to the query. I.e., one email containing the query letter, with sample and synopsis attached as two .doc files.

Since it's been over four weeks, query for status. Chances are, they discarded your submission unread for not following their guidelines and you can try again.

Beware_of_Italics

Different from the rest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stuffandnonsense-auntkristin.blogspot.com
That's another problem. I'm so used to reading that attachments will not be opened, so when I read "We have difficulties opening Zip drives and other attachments" I thought that meant no attachments. (What else could it mean?) But I guess that's not what they meant. I guess I'll just resend. The worst that can happen is that they don't open it.

Thanks for your help. :)