• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Kimberley Cameron & Assocs. (formerly Reece Halsey North Lit. Agency)

DragonShark

Registered
Reaction score
This agency also has a publishing company: Reputation Books

The Publisher's Marketplace announcement states that it was created to publish their client's back-list, but their front page also states: "We also plan to publish excellent manuscripts by our clients that have captured our hearts, and for various reasons, have not yet found the right home."

There's no mention of the publishing terms on the Reputation Books site, probably because they intend to only be open to KC & Assoc. clients? But I found a mention of their fees and percentage in an interview with Kimberley Cameron that was posted here. They charge a one-time fee of $200 and then the publisher also receives 45% of sales in all formats.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
They lost me at $200. Even if accepted, what is their motivation for selling my book to a traditional publisher? I had a #PitMad favorite from one of their agents last week. I remember this agency (and the former parent agency), and was initially excited.

But now, I have my doubts. Number One: I've been through the small e-publisher scenario, and I'm ready to move up to the next level. At least, I hope I am. Number Two: If accepted, and they fail to broker a decent deal, I don't have $200 to throw at this publishing venture. Nope.

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
I queried Kimberley on 5/10 and within an hour received a request for the first 50 pages. She also said, she would get back to me as soon as she could. I thought this was pretty fast. Hope it's a good sign.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
Just wondering if the clients that decide to place their book with the publishing arm of the Agency need to also, along with the $200 fee from earnings, the 45% the publisher takes, see the Agent percentage taken off their share of any of the "Reputation" sales? I'm thinking the Agent would have to forego taking their traditional percentage, as Agent, to avoid a conflict of interest?

ItchyDog

Registered
Reaction score
I got a #PitMad request from Dorian Maffei Jun 2017 for the 1st 50 pages. Interestingly, she's not listed as an agent on their website, but as part of Reputation Books. Still, I sent it off, more because I was hoping for some feedback than actually interested in their agency. I'm definitely not interested in their publishing arm. Anyway, on Jun 15th, I got a very nice rejection (form, I'm sure) saying my ' she loved the premise, but didn't resonate with my voice' which is probably just as well. I don't think we'd have been a good fit.
Still, I post this here because I thought the request was rather strange coming from someone who isn't even listed as an agent. No idea if it's good, bad or now typical from agencies with their own publishing arm.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Good luck, Vince524! I've met Kimberly Cameron and not only is she legit, but she is also amazing.

Just as an fyi, I subbed to her, but never heard back. That title got picked up by The Wild Rose Press, so upward and onward.

NotForUsThanks

Registered
Reaction score
I just got a query request from a Twitter event from Lisa Abellera. After researching her, I'm not sure I want to submit. She's part agent, part writer, part designer, none of her clients seem to have any of their books for sale, and her agency have their own publishing company which I don't like.

But it seems weird not to submit to an agent who has shown an interest in my book.

Can anyone here give me any reason to submit to this agent?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
But it seems weird not to submit to an agent who has shown an interest in my book.

Why not? You don't have to go on a date with everyone who asks you.

Personally, I prefer agents with recent sales in my genre(s), so if her clients don't have those, it would put me off.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
What Marian Perera said. I recently had a request from Ms Abellera off a twitter contest but I didn't query her. No sales (that I could find) and her fingers are in far too many pies for my liking.

Last edited:

NotForUsThanks

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's how I feel. I mean, if she was new and building her list, fair enough, but that's not what I see here. Thanks for taking the time to feedback.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Mary C Moore is currently closed to queries as of Oct 12. There's nothing on the agency website listing her as closed to subs, unfortunately, but I received a form e-mail confirming it and she has a blog post about it.

Due to the wildfire situation where I live in Sonoma County, California, I am closing to submissions temporarily. My family, home, and I are all safe. But we are on constant advisory for potential evacuation pending wind patterns and our community is busy with evacuees from neighboring affected areas.

Because the majority of my focus is on this new reality, I have fallen way behind. Any extra time or energy I have must be used to meet my client needs. Therefore I apologize, but I won’t be reading any submissions, including those already in my inbox, at least until the fires have been contained, and our community has begun to pick up the pieces. Thank you so much for your patience and understanding.

Also, the form e-mail covers some different details:

As you may be aware from my blog, I have closed to submissions. I live in Sonoma County and as you may have seen on the news, multiple wildfires have ravaged the county and surrounding areas. The air is heavy with smoke and hard to breathe, evacuees have flooded our town, and although the community is rallying, it’s an intense atmosphere.

My family, home, and I are all safe, but we are on advisory for potential evacuation. It’s a difficult situation to focus in and any energy I have to spare goes to my client needs.

Thus I have reached the heartbreaking conclusion, that I will have to let go of all potential projects for the time being. Before when I took a long time with a submission, at least the intention to read and consider were there. Now that intention is gone, and that is unfair to any writer out on submission.

If you do not find representation in the interim, please feel free to resubmit when I do reopen to submissions.

I didn't check her blog before querying, and I didn't connect the wildfire news with my query submissions, so this caught me off-guard. I hope things get better in Sonoma County soon.

Dmbeucler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmbeucler.blogspot.com
She had my full, and I received the same email. I'm finding some slight irony blaming fires for my rejection. Alas. Hopefully all stay safe out there though.

Davy The First

Registered
Reaction score
Mary C Moore is currently closed to queries as of Oct 12. There's nothing on the agency website listing her as closed to subs, unfortunately, but I received a form e-mail confirming it and she has a blog post about it.

Also, the form e-mail covers some different details:

As you may be aware from my blog, I have closed to submissions. I live in Sonoma County and as you may have seen on the news, multiple wildfires have ravaged the county and surrounding areas. The air is heavy with smoke and hard to breathe, evacuees have flooded our town, and although the community is rallying, it’s an intense atmosphere.

My family, home, and I are all safe, but we are on advisory for potential evacuation. It’s a difficult situation to focus in and any energy I have to spare goes to my client needs.

Thus I have reached the heartbreaking conclusion, that I will have to let go of all potential projects for the time being. Before when I took a long time with a submission, at least the intention to read and consider were there. Now that intention is gone, and that is unfair to any writer out on submission.

If you do not find representation in the interim, please feel free to resubmit when I do reopen to submissions.

I didn't check her blog before querying, and I didn't connect the wildfire news with my query submissions, so this caught me off-guard. I hope things get better in Sonoma County soon.
Terrible situation. Hope she and her family get through it Ok.

You think you've got problems, and then...

mystere

Registered
Reaction score
Has this agency made many sales to the Big 5?

ahorn13

Registered
Reaction score
I have a full request with Dorian Maffei! It sounds like she's been made a junior agent pretty recently. Does anyone have any more recent experience with her or this agency?

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Is this agency still sus? I have an upcoming opportunity to pitch to several of their agents IRL, but also what I'm reading on this thread isn't the greatest. But perhaps things have turned around the past few years?

Bhuku

Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone represented by Dorian Maffei?