The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Kimberley Cameron & Assocs. (formerly Reece Halsey North Lit. Agency)

Kimberley Cameron & Assocs. (formerly Reece Halsey North Lit. Agency)

I couldn't find this agency in the index, so I guess I'm the first to ask.

Anyone have any dealings with this agency? One of the agents shows a dollar sign at P&E, but others aren't listed.

Thanks.
    Look for CHILD OF FIRE from Del Rey! Read a sample chapter. Hey! it's been named to Publishers Weekly's Best Books of 2009 list!

Book 2 in the Twenty Palaces series: GAME OF CAGES. or check out these sample chapters.

When I looked at that web page the URL was

http://www.kimberleycameron.com/

which set off faint warning bells (incorrectly, I guess).

Thanks!
    Look for CHILD OF FIRE from Del Rey! Read a sample chapter. Hey! it's been named to Publishers Weekly's Best Books of 2009 list!

Book 2 in the Twenty Palaces series: GAME OF CAGES. or check out these sample chapters.

I emailed a query and synopsis on 5/31. I'll let you know what/if I hear back.

Good luck

I sent my regular two page synopsis. I also sent the first 50 as an attachment, because it's easier and the site did NOT say to paste them in. Since I have seen agencies that say they want the sample pasted in, I assumed it was okay.

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment astonwest's Avatar
    I pasted the 50 pages into the original e-mail (because many places don't particularly like the idea of receiving unsolicited attachments), and they didn't say anything one way or another (about that particular aspect of the submission...I did receive a rejection).

I admire them for wading through 50 pages of slush on every single submission (or at least having their readers wade through 50 pages of slush)...

Big Daddy West
    Make sure to visit AstonWest.com
    I'm also on Facebook and Twitter

Check out my newest novels, Death Brings Victory (the latest Aston West "in-the-series" novel) and The Cure.

Quote Originally Posted by astonwest View Post
    I admire them for wading through 50 pages of slush on every single submission (or at least having their readers wade through 50 pages of slush)...
    Or wading through three paragraphs before hitting the reject button.

After all, it only takes one bite to realize you're eating a s&%t sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by HConn View Post
    After all, it only takes one bite to realize you're eating a s&%t sandwich.
    True, but why order the whole side of beef if you just want a roast beef sandwich?

Big Daddy West

Check out my newest novels, Death Brings Victory (the latest Aston West "in-the-series" novel) and The Cure.

True, but why order the whole side of beef if you just want a roast beef sandwich?
    Why not? Email won't perish, and there are no children in Africa starving for email.

I would say that 50 pages *is* just a sandwich. And sometimes you need a couple bites to discover that there is grape jelly, sardines or coffee grounds in there. Can that metaphor be stretched any further?

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence Don Allen's Avatar
    They rejected me, but it was on a real neat piece of paper with cool fonts.

Nice paper is a plus.

Rejection. But it was a very nice form, and the salutation included my name (as opposed to Dear Author).

When I read a book, I give it about 50 pages to see if it passes the Eight Deadly Words test1. I'll put a book down sooner, but if the book hasn't engaged me by 50, I'll move on to another.

A couple of the rejections I've received on my first 50 said, in essence: This is well-written, but when I reached the end of chapter 3 I didn't feel I *needed* to keep reading.

There are all sorts of good reasons to stop reading a manuscript early. The Eight Deadly Words test is one of mine.

1These are the Eight Deadly Words: I Don't Care What Happens To These People.

I would say that 50 pages *is* just a sandwich. And sometimes you need a couple bites to discover that there is grape jelly, sardines or coffee grounds in there. Can that metaphor be stretched any further?
    If you can't see all of the previously mentioned issues (sardines, etc.) by peeling off the top piece of bread (5-10 pages)...

Big Daddy West

A couple of the rejections I've received on my first 50 said, in essence: This is well-written, but when I reached the end of chapter 3 I didn't feel I *needed* to keep reading.
    Mine received (from RHN) the cut-and-paste response: Unfortunately, we don't feel that we are the right agency for your manuscript.

Space pirates are a pain in the ass when it comes to finding representation.

Big Daddy West

So sorry Barbarique. Handing over another brand of concealer...

bedazzled /bootay shaker!! xiaotien's Avatar
    any tidbits on this agency?
    they look reputable, but don't seem to
    have a lot of sales or clients listed?

i've got a partial out to e evans here.
    thanks!

Silver Ph0enix (Greenwi11ow: 4/09)

Fury of the Ph0enix (Greenwi11ow: 3/11)

Diverse 3nergies anthology (Tu B00ks: 10/12)

visit my website :
    paint & prose

my brush art at etsy!

At the publishing party, whacking the piņata
    Did you check the Publishers Marketplace listing?

Quote Originally Posted by xiaotien View Post

i've got a partial out to e evans here.
    thanks!
    ~Bryn

Quote Originally Posted by Redzilla View Post
    if i did, i can't remember now.
    my head is swimming during this query
    process. thanks for the reminder and link!

visit my website :
    paint & prose

my brush art at etsy!

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by xiaotien View Post
    They don't? Well, I suppose it depends on how you define "a lot". Go to http://www.kimberleycameron.com/ and over on the left click "Fiction" and "Mysteries" and "Non-Fiction". Lists about 30 clients and nearly 70 books they've sold.

I don't know about Evans or Lang, but Kimberly Cameron is long-established a well-regarded. (And good-looking, too, not that it matters.)

She asked for a full of one of my novels, but I signed with another agent before she got to it. She congratulated me, and was in all respects quite charming and professional

From Macmillan New Writing, September 7, 2007. (Pan mass-market paperback in September, 2008). In the UK at Goldsboro Books, Borders, Waterstones, and other fine bookstores. Overseas, Amazon.co.uk and most other online retailers.

Drop through Tomorrowville and say hello...

20 day personalized rejection via email
    from e evans on first fifty pages. boo.

visit my website :
    paint & prose

my brush art at etsy!

Different from the rest Beware_of_Italics's Avatar
    On March 29th I queried Kimberley Cameron. It shows in my email that they sent, but here it is August and still I've received no response. On their website it says:

On rare occasion, submissions get lost. Please do not hesitate to send a follow-up email if you haven't received a response within four weeks of submitting.

Since it's been way over four weeks and they receive so many queries, should I just resend everything?

Also, on their website it says:

Include a writing sample with your query (no more than fifty pages) and a one page synopsis. Please attach the writing sample and synopsis as separate Word documents.

I just realized that they meant to send the query and sample together, and then the synopsis. At the time I thought they meant they wanted the query, the writing sample, and the synopsis in 3 separate emails. Now I see they meant two emails. Do you think that's why they didn't respond, even with a rejection? On my end, it was an honest misunderstanding.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beware_of_Italics View Post

Also, on their website it says:

Include a writing sample with your query (no more than fifty pages) and a one page synopsis. Please attach the writing sample and synopsis as separate Word documents.

I just realized that they meant to send the query and sample together, and then the synopsis. At the time I thought they meant they wanted the query, the writing sample, and the synopsis in 3 separate emails. Now I see they meant two emails. Do you think that's why they didn't respond, even with a rejection? On my end, it was an honest misunderstanding.
    Actually, they mean attach both the writing sample and the synopsis to the query. I.e., one email containing the query letter, with sample and synopsis attached as two .doc files.

Since it's been over four weeks, query for status. Chances are, they discarded your submission unread for not following their guidelines and you can try again.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Different from the rest Beware_of_Italics's Avatar
    That's another problem. I'm so used to reading that attachments will not be opened, so when I read "We have difficulties opening Zip drives and other attachments" I thought that meant no attachments. (What else could it mean?) But I guess that's not what they meant. I guess I'll just resend. The worst that can happen is that they don't open it.

Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast