Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Like the subject line says: stepdad, step-dad, or step dad? Neither dictionary.com nor m-w.com come up with an answer. Word doesn't like stepdad, but I can't tell if that means step-dad is the correct answer, or if it's just one of those cases where two complete words separated by a hyphen doesn't register on the spellchecker.

pash

Banned
Reaction score
Stepdad (from stepfather) is fine.

Word doesn't like it because it's colloquial/informal.

pash

Banned
Reaction score
Mandy-Jane said:
I agree with pash. But I also think step-dad would be okay too. After all, it is two words joined together.

But it's been around for an awful long time. Such compounds normally lose the hyphen after long-term use, don't they?

newmod

Registered
Reaction score
According to Collins you can use both, although they list it with the spelling "stepfather".

Deleted member 42

On hypenation isn general, this is a style-sheet issue, more often than not; in other words, it's a matter of usage and not one of grammar.

Pick a dictionary and use what it uses; the publisher, if the editor sees fit, will change it if they have a different preference.

Stepdad/step-dad/step dad is not standard usage; I can't even find it in the Blessed American Heritage. Stepfather, however, is.

So I'd suggest just picking one, and being careful to use the same one all the time; standardization in such cases makes editors happy, even if you pick the "wrong" one to standarize on, since it's easily changed.

Stepdad

Last edited by a moderator:

Declan

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy,

If it was my mother, it would be..."say hello to your new uncle..."

Dec.

Status
Not open for further replies.