• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jane Rotrosen Agency

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
P&E: Jane Rotrosen Agency: $ a literary agency. Jane Rotrosen: (Literary, Adult) 9/27/04: a writer reports "doesn't handle children's books ". Contact at:
318 East 51 St.
New York, NY 10022

=======

Represents Tami Hoag, Tess Geritson, Ellen Meister, and Jennifer Crusie.

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
James D. Macdonald said:
P&E: : a writer reports "doesn't handle children's books ". =======

Represents Tami Hoag, Tess Geritson, Ellen Meister, and Jennifer Crusie.

Well, they must handle YA fiction now because they asked for a partial of mine. Good to know! They handle names I've definitely heard of.

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
There's an interview with Christina Hogrebe, one of their agents, here.
"She is looking for commercial fiction, with a particular interest in young adult and middle-grade fiction, women’s fiction, chick lit, light paranormal, mysteries, and thrillers." She also says she's the only one currently accepting 'unsolicited queries' because she's building her client list.
-Barbara

ByGrace

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Annelise Roby at this agency. I haven't heard back.

Quill Chick

Registered
Reaction score
Kelly Harms query & submission

Once upon a time, a long long while ago, when i first "finished' my novel, i naively queried Avon (HarperCollins). I received a request for a partial from Kelly Harms.:Jaw: In my euphoria :e2bouncey (and simultaneous utter panic:e2thud:), it took me a long time to respond (because the final touch ups i wanted to make before sending it resulted in a near rewrite :Hammer:).​

After submitting the partial, i waited another long while for a response. Eventually, i learned that Kelly had gone on a maternity leave and then later had left Avon to become an agent at Rotrosen. After calling Avon for a status on my submission, i received a quick rejection from another editor, who's taste didnt quite lean towards the victorian historical romance, although she did say that i wrote a killer query:e2sling:.​

At any rate, my problem is that i have already queried Rotrosen before Kelly got there and was summarily rejected. I would like to re-query Kelly on the basis that she requested a partial but never had a chance to read it because she apparently left by the time i sent it. However, the issue is that (1) the first query i sent her was 3 years ago and (2) i dont want to rewrite the query because it's what got me noticed by her to begin with.​

I'm a little lost as how to proceed. I can't even tell if she's looking for new writers. Doesnt it seem gauche to say here's the partial you requested when you were at Avon 3 years ago (the one they obviously rejected after you left)? :Huh: Although, again, i feel that my submission wasnt really read by a fan victorian historicals, like Kelly was.​

Any thoughts? Thanks, Quill Chick​

Abbey

Registered
Reaction score
Just e-mail her. Her e-mail is listed at Agent Query. Explain to her what you just explained to us here. Either she'll be receptive to you or she won't. No need to change your query, she's not going to remember it after three years anyway. Good luck!

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After calling Avon for a status on my submission, i received a quick rejection from another editor, who's taste didnt quite lean towards the victorian historical romance, although she did say that i wrote a killer query:e2sling:.​

Can I hire you when I start that part of the process? :tongue

I think Abbey's right - send an email with an explanation. The worst than can happen is she'll say no. Then you can scratch her off your list and move on to the next agent.

~Nancy

Quill Chick

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the great suggestions everyone. Hope it works out!

Quill Chick

ExposingCorruption

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
AgentQuery also lists Rotrosen as now referral-only. Check individual agents' guidelines for details and exceptions.

churchillgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Christina Hogrebe

Found my way to Ms. Hogrebe via AQ.com; many elements she was seeking in a novel dovetailed with my manuscript. But research here (I hadn't read the -06 interview) and elsewhere led me to believe she wasn't accepting clients via e- or snail mail.

I shot her a brief as all get-out email asking if she was accepting unsolicited snail mail queries. Did happen to mention that my novel met three to four criteria on her wish list. Hit send and figured either she'd think me really odd and delete my email or she might write back to clarify.

Both. She wrote back an hour later asking for a synopsis and full ms., saying that she liked the novel's title and that my "approach was strange." Pinky swear, it wasn't an approach. It simply seemed like my work might pique her interest and before wasting her or my time I wanted to know if snail was OK. There is no rhyme or reason to this business.

My novel may or may not be her cuppa but her note sure was a great way to start the weekend. She was quite gracious. And now the wait begins.

churchillgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Fill the Wait Writing

Thank you both, Cate and WestofMars. Am writing writing writing. Check out boomercafe.com for latest essay.

amyers27

writing when not teaching
Registered
Reaction score
Christina Hogrebe requested a full from me. I e-queried her and she e-mailed me back asking for the full, so I'm guessing she is accepting queries right now.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Since Christina likes Southern fiction, she would be a good fit for me. Where did you find her email address out of curiosity?

Last edited: