• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Genesis Press

Annie Dean

Has everyone read this article in PW?

We've been asked to blog about this to get the word out, so people know what's going on. I blogged, take a read, and then pass it the info on, if you please.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
For those who can't access PW, the article starts thus:

"A group of about 30 writers published by Genesis Press, a publisher of African-American romances, have banded together to publicize their complaints that the house has a history of unprofessional dealings dating back to the 1990s. The charges include failure to issue royalty statements, delayed and missing payments and inaccurate tax forms."

According to the article, Genesis acknowledges problems, but blames them on its former distributor (it's now distributed by Kensington) and on a shutdown nine months ago. It disputes some complaints, but claims to have addressed concerns and to have answered questions. The authors say otherwise.

Writer Beware has gotten complaints about Genesis that echo what the authors say.

- Victoria

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, are there any updates for this particular case?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Last I heard, in October of last year, Genesis was countersuing some of the authors who complained. See this blog entry from Monica Jackson. I don't know how that turned out.

Genesis is still in business, still publishing, and has been picked up by Kensington for distribution.

- Victoria

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know about the Kensington deal.

Thanks for the links and info Victoria!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Authors have been complaining about Genesis for many years re poor accounting and payment. It pops up on blogs intermittantly.

mlbrownassociates

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mlbrownassociatesllc.com
Gensis

From what I hear after they switch to Kensington royalties have been handled in a better manner I've heard from fellow colleagues that payments have started to present their selves. I don't know if that's among all of the authors but I do know that random authors have stated they have started to see some of their earnings. I won't say that the problem has been fixed but I always tell people that's what agents or lawyers are for. To handle those problems you personally don't want to deal with.

Missy

midgedear

Fictionista
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aimeedearmon.com
Genesis Publishing

Does anyone know why Genesis Publishing got a "Not Recommended" rating from Preditors and Editors? Is there any way to find out?

They've emailed me three times for my synopsis. I'm really wondering what's going on.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Presuming you mean Genesis Press, I've merged your post into their thread, which should answer your questions. If you mean another Genesis, post a link and I'll break it out again.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.genesis-press.com, based in Mississippi, USA, is a publisher of fiction, mostly but not all romance and erotica, targeted at the African American community. They received a "Not Recommended" rating from P&E because of past issues with royalty statements (see the posts at the top of this thread).

Other publishing entities called Genesis Press or Genesis Publishing:

http://www.genesispress.com, based in South Carolina, USA, is a commercial printer that also offers packages for self-publishers.

http://www.genesispc.com/, based in Massachusetts, USA, seems to be a mostly self-publishing venture that also offers some books by the proprietor's friends and/or philosophical allies.

http://www.genesis-group.net/, whose location I can't discern, seems to be a publisher of evangelical Christian texts.

http://www.genesis-publications.com/signed-limited-edition-books is a UK publisher of limited edition coffee-table books.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hasn't published anything since '12. Anyone have recent contact with them?