• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Martin Literary Management (Sharlene Martin)

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
The minimum commission thing worries me. I am NOT willing to pay out of pocket for a publishing deal. I understand its after months of work that didnt pay off but that responsability shouldn't fall to the writer IMO.

Let me ask this. If the agent never places the book do they still need to pay the minimum commission? Its still months of work with no pay off. It feels pretty similar to me. I'm just... not comfortable with this idea, at all.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I just posted an interview with Clelia Gore, Martin Literary Management's new children's agent:

http://motherwrite.blogspot.com/2013/12/interactive-interview-with-agent-clelia.html

She'll be taking questions until 7:00 p.m. EST tonight, so if you have a question, feel free to hop over!

(I will add that I asked her directly about the minimum commission thing as well as whether she'll look at manuscripts on a non-exclusive basis, and she declined to comment, as she didn't want to make a definitive declaration on contract terms or anything that may be subject to negotiation.)

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Okay, so if you sell a book for a small advance then the author technically "owes" you a certain amount out of their future sales. Good to know you don't bill them, that does make a difference BUT my question is how firm you hold that over them. If another book is sold for a higher advance will you take what you feel is owed to you from the new advance money? What if the agent and author part ways and a new agent sells a new work? Do you feel entitled to THAT money to pay you back as well?

This whole idea makes me uncomfortable, even though Celia seems like a good fit for my MG.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Hello all, wondering if anyone has experience with using the MLA or Anthony Flacco "Initial reading and evaluation" service advertised at $500.=?

Hi Wurm. Pretty much every agent worth their salt will NOT charge a fee for anything, that includes "initial reading and evaluation." You probably already know this, but agents are supposed to make money once they sell your book, not before. That's why it's so difficult to break into publishing. Paying someone $500 not only makes you that much poorer, it does not guarantee your book will be published, or even accepted by MLA. My opinion: steer clear and submit to legitimate non-fee-charging agencies.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Thank you Popgun! I was hoping to find "something" to evaluate some chaps, synopsis to prepare my proposal (NNF)

Check out the thread for beta readers, writing buddies and mentors. That would probably be a good place to start. Go through the other threads on AW, as well - I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that will help you. And it's free!

leifwright

Mired in the miry mire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leifwright.com
OK. I'm an author represented by Sharlene, and I can clear up a few things here.

First, I was never offered any editorial services - or any services of any kind, other than her trying to sell my manuscript to publishers (which she did successfully).

Second, I was never required to agree to a contract before reading it. Wherever that came from, it sounds ludicrous to me, and I would have run away fairly quickly.

Third, I've also dealt with Clelia at the agency and I found her very professional and helpful when reading one of my novels - they ultimately passed because she only dealt with young adult novels.

The only issue anyone has ever mentioned to me about Sharlene is that she had a minimum fee level. What that meant was, when I received my advance for the book she sold, she received her minimum fee before I got my advance. Her minimum fee was $2500. So I received half of my advance and she received the other half. Once my book earned out its advance, royalties would go to me until their combined amount would have equaled her minimum fee, and then she would start collecting 15% of the royalties - after what she would otherwise have collected ended up matching the amount she had already taken.

I think I explained that poorly. So I'll try again. Her standard fee is 15% of everything. So let's say my book sold 5 copies and my royalty for that was $10 (that's not an actual figure, just a round one for easy math's sake). Her fee for that would be $1.50. So once my book sold enough copies that my royalty would have been enough for her fees to reach $2,500, her 'minimum fee' would have been reached. But that's not how it works. Instead, when I was paid my advance, she took out her minimum fee from the beginning and then didn't collect her fee on royalties until the royalties had accumulated enough that it would have reached the $2,500 mark for her, then she starts collecting her fees on royalties above that amount.

I don't know if that's shady or not, because she's my only agent, but I do know this: in dealing with her, I felt like I was treated professionally, efficiently and like she went to bat for my project not only with publishers but with TV and movie studios. Any time a possibility presents itself, she's hammering away at the potential to get my project into more hands.

She is lightning-fast to respond to anything I send her, and she even went out of her way to help me hone and polish my book proposal, offering notes and suggestions, none of which she ever asked me to pay for. The only money I ever paid Sharlene came from the publisher, not from my pocket.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
"Minimum fee" is not in any way, shape or form standard. The agent standard commission (not fee) is 15%, which is taken AS THE AUTHOR earns their money.

The way you're describing the structure here, if your advance payment had been $3000, you would have ended up with $500.

No legit agents believes they're guaranteed ANY set minimum amount on every sale. The better their sales, the higher their profits, which is one of the reasons an agent will work their butt off for you.

The only money I ever paid Sharlene came from the publisher, not from my pocket.
This is a very naive answer. She took half of your advance upfront.

She actually gave herself an advance out of your advance. If your royalties had never amassed enough to cover her "fee," then she ended up with more than a 15% commission at your expense.

Last edited:

leifwright

Mired in the miry mire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leifwright.com
"Minimum fee" is not in any way, shape or form standard. The agent standard commission (not fee) is 15%, which is taken AS THE AUTHOR earns their money.

Since the advance is counted as money I've earned (at least the IRS thinks so) doesn't it make sense for her to take her fee out of that? I understand you're arguing the percentage is wrong, but I did agree to that beforehand.

And I'm not blindly defending her. I'm just saying I've been satisfied with my experience with her. If her fee structure is shady, I'll avoid such things in the future.

But even so, I still view Sharlene in a positive light for the hard work she did for my book.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Since the advance is counted as money I've earned (at least the IRS thinks so) doesn't it make sense for her to take her fee out of that? I understand you're arguing the percentage is wrong, but I did agree to that beforehand.

I'm not saying she's doing anything inherently wrong. There are plenty of agents out there who have the best of intentions, and she may well be one of them. I'm just pointing out that in no way is this arrangement standard. It protects the agent's interests over the clients, and that's not the way it's supposed to work. It's supposed to be a partnership in which both benefit at the same level.

You sell a book, you get 85% of the advance; your agent gets 15%. If the advance is broken into pieces, then you get 85% of the first payment, and your agent gets 15%. When the next payment comes in, the process repeats. If you end up making royalties, the process repeats. If you should need to bring in a sub-rights agent for foreign sales or media sales, then your agent continues to make 15%, but your portion must now accommodate that other agent's fee of 5%, leaving you with 80% on those deals. If you also acquire an attorney for something like a media contract, that's another 5%, while the agent maintains their 15%.

These are the standard numbers. You can, of course, agree to something different, but you should also be aware of how different that arrangement is.

leifwright

Mired in the miry mire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leifwright.com
I get that, and thank you for pointing it out. I appreciate the advice.

Certainly in the future, I'll pay more attention to that sort of thing. From my experience with Sharlene, I bet if I had balked on that part of the contract, she would have accommodated me. Maybe not, but I really do like her as an agent, and I'm betting she would.

That said, I hope that doesn't scare people away from submitting to her. If you don't like that part of the contract, mention it to her. She doesn't bite.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com

And I'm not blindly defending her. I'm just saying I've been satisfied with my experience with her. If her fee structure is shady, I'll avoid such things in the future.

But even so, I still view Sharlene in a positive light for the hard work she did for my book.

Look at it this way: When an agent takes 15%, it's in their best interest to sell books to a publisher who will be able to get it into as many hands as possible. That agent NEEDS your book to succeed and or get a large advance, so they're going to do the absolute best they can for it. It's their paycheck too. When an agent takes a flat fee from your advance, they don't have to worry about long-term success. It's gravy if the book succeeds, but if the publisher drops the ball on it or badly estimated its marketability, then the agent's made out better than the writer and yes, taken the author's money, because that advance was meant for the author 85%. (and on the rare occasion that the advance needs to be paid back,would the agent return the money? Cause then it's out of the writer's pocket.) With a flat fee, it doesn't matter much what happens once the book's sold. She's got her paycheck. You're still paying her for her work when her payment should be earned through getting your book the best publication possible. It's the basis for the concept of Yog's Law: Money flows towards the writer. When the agent or publisher gets paid from the writer in some form, then their motivation isn't to publish the best possible. Sharlene sounds to be relatively honest because she does get her clients advances and uses that instead of asking for straight payment, but it's still, like Cyia said, not standard behavior.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
From my experience with Sharlene, I bet if I had balked on that part of the contract, she would have accommodated me. Maybe not, but I really do like her as an agent, and I'm betting she would.

And at the end of the day, if you're satisfied with your experience, that's what matters.

leifwright

Mired in the miry mire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leifwright.com
Sharlene read this thread and said she wasn't going to respond to it because she didn't want to 'fuel the fire.'

She said she believes her work and tenacity for her clients should speak for itself.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
Books often don't sell out their advance, so by her taking a FEE from the advance and saying she will not take her 15% commission from royalties until her fee has sold out, she's giving up nothing. You, on the other hand, may never earn back the fee she has taken, by way of future royalties. If a real-estate agent, who also works very hard for no guarantee of income, were to say the same thing in their contract... no matter how little I get for your house, you will owe me $20,000 and not the standard 7% of the sale, would you sign with them?
All good literary Agents work hard but they don't take a fee.

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
I don't know if this is still true, but from the P&E website: "We only ask to see materials that we intend to offer representation for - IF the work is saleable (sic). Therefore, in exchange for that close evaluation, we require a two week exclusive consideration period, whereby your (sic) agree if we offer representation, you are already certain you are willing to accept." (caps in original, bolding added)

Eh? I may be reading that incorrectly, but it sounds to me as if they're asking you to accept their representation simply if they ask for a two week exclusive. I'm guessing a person wouldn't have seen a contract yet, so how could they make that promise? It'd be like me putting an ad on Craig's List to sell a car and appending, "Oh, and if you want to come out and actually look at it, you have to agree that you're going to purchase it beforehand." I find that both odd and concerning.

ETA: I see Hathor brought up this point as well waaaaay earlier in the thread along with the information that the agency gives (gave) a two day window to accept the contract. I can fully understand not wanting to wait while someone dithers about making a decision, but, if you wanted an attorney to look it over, that's a very short window. I certainly hope that policy's changed in the intervening years.

Last edited:

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
Yes, I really can't see what the rush would be to have an Author accept a contract with an Agent. Typically they wouldn't be offering a contract to very many Authors per year, so the rush would be why? It's not like thinking about it for a week or two (and running it past a lawyer) and contacted other Authors with that Agent should be holding things up. With the slow pace of the industry, what would a few weeks matter either way?

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I really can't see what the rush would be to have an Author accept a contract with an Agent. Typically they wouldn't be offering a contract to very many Authors per year, so the rush would be why? It's not like thinking about it for a week or two (and running it past a lawyer) and contacted other Authors with that Agent should be holding things up. With the slow pace of the industry, what would a few weeks matter either way?

I think an agent typically puts a deadline on her offer when she doesn't want to give other agents a chance to make competing offers (i.e., when she's concerned her offer won't be able to compete with other agents' offers).

But whatever the reason, having to rush to make a decision is never in the writer's best interest. You don't want to drag the process out unnecessarily, but reasonable agents expect you to check in with the other agents who have your manuscript/query and give them a chance to consider it if they want to. (I'd say giving the other agents anywhere from five to ten days to read the manuscript is acceptable. Then you can tell the offering agent you'll make a decision within a day or two of the target date you gave the other agents.) Those other agents would expect the same courtesy if they were one of the agents who still had the manuscript, and they do the same thing when they get an offer from an editor.

Last edited:

writera

Writ Era
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about Natalie Grazian? Legit or not? Not sure what to think having read this thread.

Last edited:

writera

Writ Era
Registered
Reaction score
So would this be an agency to take seriously if you got a request for more? Are they worth submitting to or better to avoid?

tedcohen

Registered
Reaction score
So would this be an agency to take seriously if you got a request for more? Are they worth submitting to or better to avoid?

Been awhile since I dealt with them, so I am not sure.

Generally, before submitting to any agency, make darn sure they are not charging you a reading fee.

That always suggests chicanery to me.