• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

competing publishers

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just when I thought I was getting my head around How Publishing Works, I find myself confused all over again.

I asked down in the 'ask an editor' thread if it's standard procedure for a publisher to inform other publishers with whom one has books out with that they are looking at a ms by you? We haven't yet got a concensus on that question, since it drifted into contract options clauses.

But now I've been informed by my publisher that if they reject a manuscript, and I get it accepted elsewhere, they will very likely stop working with me. And, further, that if they reject a novel proposal, and I write the manuscript anyways, the manuscript still must be re-submitted to the publisher a la the options clause before it can be sent elsewhere.

Is this normal? Is it not okay to have more than one publisher, particularly if one writes books at a rate faster than one publisher will accept them? What do y'all do with mss that get rejected by your publisher?

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, James. I think you're right, and that will be my new goal for 06/07.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Unimportant said:
I asked down in the 'ask an editor' thread if it's standard procedure for a publisher to inform other publishers with whom one has books out with that they are looking at a ms by you?
Absolutely not. We review manuscripts of authors who have been published all over the place and the only people we contact is our distributor to let them know we're interested in a particular work.

But now I've been informed by my publisher that if they reject a manuscript, and I get it accepted elsewhere, they will very likely stop working with me. And, further, that if they reject a novel proposal, and I write the manuscript anyways, the manuscript still must be re-submitted to the publisher a la the options clause before it can be sent elsewhere.
If this is the case, you certainly have an unusual contract. This sounds more like blackmail than a contract. If they've rejected the project then why would they insist on your submitting it to them anyway?

Is this normal? Is it not okay to have more than one publisher, particularly if one writes books at a rate faster than one publisher will accept them?
It is not normal. Of course it's okay to have more than one publisher. A number of our authors are pubbed all over the place.
What do y'all do with mss that get rejected by your publisher?
Submit is elsewhere. Like Jim, said, you need to hang out with a better crowd.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, priceless1. I'd submit the ms to you if I could!

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ah, for me, it's not the genre but the country of residence that's the problem...