The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: competing publishers

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar

competing publishers

Just when I thought I was getting my head around How Publishing Works, I find myself confused all over again.

I asked down in the 'ask an editor' thread if it's standard procedure for a publisher to inform other publishers with whom one has books out with that they are looking at a ms by you? We haven't yet got a concensus on that question, since it drifted into contract options clauses.

But now I've been informed by my publisher that if they reject a manuscript, and I get it accepted elsewhere, they will very likely stop working with me. And, further, that if they reject a novel proposal, and I write the manuscript anyways, the manuscript still must be re-submitted to the publisher a la the options clause before it can be sent elsewhere.

Is this normal? Is it not okay to have more than one publisher, particularly if one writes books at a rate faster than one publisher will accept them? What do y'all do with mss that get rejected by your publisher?

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unimportant

Is this normal?
    No.

A lot depends on your actual option clause. But as described, you need to start hanging out with a better grade of publisher.

Thanks, James. I think you're right, and that will be my new goal for 06/07.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Unimportant
    I asked down in the 'ask an editor' thread if it's standard procedure for a publisher to inform other publishers with whom one has books out with that they are looking at a ms by you?
    Absolutely not. We review manuscripts of authors who have been published all over the place and the only people we contact is our distributor to let them know we're interested in a particular work.

But now I've been informed by my publisher that if they reject a manuscript, and I get it accepted elsewhere, they will very likely stop working with me. And, further, that if they reject a novel proposal, and I write the manuscript anyways, the manuscript still must be re-submitted to the publisher a la the options clause before it can be sent elsewhere.
    If this is the case, you certainly have an unusual contract. This sounds more like blackmail than a contract. If they've rejected the project then why would they insist on your submitting it to them anyway?

Is this normal? Is it not okay to have more than one publisher, particularly if one writes books at a rate faster than one publisher will accept them?
    It is not normal. Of course it's okay to have more than one publisher. A number of our authors are pubbed all over the place.
    What do y'all do with mss that get rejected by your publisher?
    Submit is elsewhere. Like Jim, said, you need to hang out with a better crowd.

Thanks, priceless1. I'd submit the ms to you if I could!

haz a shiny new book cover Christine N.'s Avatar
    Yeah, Lynn needs to start taking more stuff... like YA novels
    Christine

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Coming Spring 2015 from Curiosity Quills Press

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of

ah, for me, it's not the genre but the country of residence that's the problem...

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Yo, Lynn -- about that horror anthology?

haz a shiny new book cover Christine N.'s Avatar
    LOL, we'll have Lynn all straightened out soon...

*whistles innocently*
    Christine

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Coming Spring 2015 from Curiosity Quills Press

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
    Yo, Lynn -- about that horror anthology?
    Slasher stories, baby. Bring 'em on. Oh, and don't forget the one you had; you know the one I'm talking about...the kinky sex ditty.