Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiChick

Editing like a caffeinated chipmunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asakkalon.com
Okay, I'm not published, but I hear a lot of published writers rarely go back and read their published works. Are they just so sick of them by the time they get published that reading them is no longer enjoyable? I like going back and reading projects I abandoned years ago (most of which really stink) - I write about worlds and people I find interesting and exciting, so why not go back and enjoy reading them?

Do you read your published or abandoned work? Shun it? Just curious. :)

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not published either (that you can actually count) but after all the editing and rewrites, I'm sick to death of my work! Maybe after a few weeks I can stomach looking at it again, but not right away. It's like watching a movie you've seen a dozen times, no big thrill there...

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I have two reactions.

One is to be horrified and the other is to be amused. Sometimes I think,"did I write that?" Somethings do not even sound familiar to me.

And, yes, I did write them.

For instance, my sister will comment on something I wrote about in my book and I'll say, "I wrote that?"

And I honestly don't remember.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I read snippets of it during my readings/signings. Other than that, no, I don't read it... of course, it has only been about half a year. Like Uncle Jim said, I might read it again for pleasure two years from now.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I love re-reading my stuff, published and unpublished (and I have plenty of both). In fact, I'm one of my all-time favorite writers. Which might be part of my problem.

KiwiChick

Editing like a caffeinated chipmunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asakkalon.com
popmuze said:
I love re-reading my stuff, published and unpublished (and I have plenty of both). In fact, I'm one of my all-time favorite writers.

I like that attitude!

If I like a movie or a book, I'll read it over and over and over, and I never get sick of it... and especially with books, each time I read them I dream them a little differently.

Gemsong

Registered
Reaction score
I recently re-read a work I did about 20+ years ago. It was painful, cliche' dreck. I look at it now and go, what was I thinking? That was after I took the anti-nausea pills.

But at the core, there was a good idea. Some I'm gonna try to do it again.

In the end, the answer is yes. I read my old stuff (all unpublished). Looking for a gem beneath all the coal.

I think it's mostly because I write for me and not for anyone else. The only reason I keep writing.

MMWyrm

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MLoriMotley.com
I'm not published yet, but I am already sick of reading my first novel.

I am pushing myself through the final polish right now - a chapter a day - because I just want it to be done already.

However, I can see myself coming back and reading it at a later date. I love my characters and the story line.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I don't re-read my published articles and shorts, so I doubt I'd re-read my own book (insert wistful sigh here). I can't stand reading my own published stuff because I know I can no longer change it. I guess being able to let go of my projects works for me. Write, learn as much as I can from it, then move on to the next project to keep improving.

As long as it's unpublished, I'm fine with re-reading it because I can always try to make it better. But once it's outside of my control, I won't return to it. Seeing my perceived mistakes fixed forever in print is just depressing.

Last edited:

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Mixed Feelings on Reading old Work

I recently found my first ever user manual on the internet because the company decided to put ALL their equipment manuals on their website.

I downloaded a copy for my portfolio, then read it for the first time in 15 years or more. I had mixed feelings: as a first try by an untrained - totally untrained - writer, it was pretty good. :)

But if I rewrote it today, it could be sooooooo much better. :(

blackbird

Registered
Reaction score
After I've finished a piece I will go back and read it once through, as a reader approaching the work for the first time would do (a difficult mindset sometimes to put myself into, but I have to do it). This is mostly to check for things like clarity and overall flow. If I'm satisfied, I won't read it again until I have to proof/edit for publication. After that, I may do as others here have said, which is to give it some time and distance. Then I may be inclined to come back to the work anew.

RJLeahy

Banned
Reaction score
My first novel is set for publication in November and after going through all the editing and re-writes, I have to admit-- I am sick of reading this thing. :)

I'm about 15,00 words into my WIP and it's like a breath of fresh air. The best therapy for "book fatigue", is to start another novel.

Tracy

Registered
Reaction score
Likewise, I'm sick of the thing by the time it's published, and I'm already into the next so it's like yesterday's news.

But I have on occasion re-read bits of the older novel, and I have three simultaneous experiences:

1. It's like visiting an old friend who you've lost touch with - familiar but yet not.
2. It's frustrating because I can't help thinking, "Ouch, that could have been better phrased", or otherwise wanting to improve upon it.
3. I do come across pieces which, as others have said, I've forgotten I wrote and am pleasantly surprised at how well they read.

You'd think every word would be engraved forever, but that's not so. In fact, I was reading comments about my first novel on another forum (yes, another forum, apologies!) and they were talking about a line they particularly loved - and I had totally forgotten it!

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I've discovered that if I re-read my first draft as I write it, I inadvertently set the words in stone so editing becomes much more difficult. For this novel attempt, I'm intentionally avoiding overreading the finished pages so I can come at them fresh during the editing stage. It's much easier to change something if I don't have it committed to memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.