The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Harbor Lights Press

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar

Harbor Lights Press

A Writer Beware reader just alerted me to Harbor Lights Press, which charges $99 for a "pre-publication evaluation." A scam? Another clueless amateur? Only the Shadow knows.

- Victoria

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Pre-Publication Evaluation Application

Pre-publication evaluation is necessary, if you are looking to get your books or writings published by Harbor Lights Press. This is the first step to get your writings published. There is a small fee of $99 for this service. We accept limited number of requests. Please make sure to follow the instructions carefully.

Note: The following will be asked form you in the next step.

1. Synopsis of the Book

2. Two (2) chapters from your book that you think are the best written.

3. Please write the paypal transaction number in the subject section of the email.

Step-1/2: Please input the Book Title and Other information below and hit the Buy Now button to process payment through our secure payment processor (Paypal.com). After successful payment, you will be given further instruction on payment success page.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I count three typos in that quote alone. Eek, indeed.

My first thought is that this is half a step away (not up) from those emails asking you to confirm your bank account number or paypal account details on a fishy website.

And the dancing baloney on the site gives me a headache.
    #

Nothing’s inherently wrong with telling; nothing’s inherently wrong with showing. . . .
    When Picasso paints a canvas using only blue, you can still tell that he knows what he’s doing with color. When I paint a canvas using only blue, you will be quite certain from the result that it’s because I have no clue what to do with red or yellow—and you won’t be too sure I’ve got a grip on blue, either. Learn all the colors; then choose whichever seems right at the moment. Master the whole craft. ~ Keith Snyder

In the Yellow Woods
    We publish compelling literary fiction and nonfiction by authors with a distinctive voice. We accept manuscripts that fall in one of the following categories.

Fiction Genres
    • Science Fiction / Fantasy
    • Psychic / Supernatural
    • Speculative Fiction
    • Historical Fiction
    • Detective / Mystery / Crime
    • Inspirational
    • Thriller / Espionage
    • Horror
    • Romance
    • Westerns
    • Action / Adventure
    • Young Adult / Juvenile
    • Children's
    • Women's / Men's Stories
    Non-Fiction Genres
    • Theses / Dissertations
    • Personal Essays
    • Biographies / Genealogies
    • Self-Help / How-to
    • Parenting
    • Current Affairs
    • Diet and Nutrition
    • Ethnic
    • Religion
    • Money / Finance
    • History / Politics
    • Humor / Satire
    • Lifestyle / Cooking / Travel
    • Music / Art
    • Creative non fiction
    Have they left anything out? At $99 a pop, they seem to have all the bases covered.
    I am returning this otherwise good typing paper to you because someone has printed gibberish all over it and put your name at the top.

Professor of English, Ohio University.

Pedantic Alert: The above is quotation #689 from Michael Moncur's (cynical) Quotations.

The hey? Why the very specific "fall in one of these categories" which sounds as if they don't do cross-genre, and then Science-Fiction / Fantasy counts as one, but Speculative Fiction is separate?
    If they can't be bothered to distinguish between sf and f, why distinguish spec fic? The grouping and splitting of the action genres are equally confusing.
    This reads more like a take-out menu than a publisher.
    -Barbara (obviously needing to go for lunch now)
    will crit for rep points
    "Your commas are pretty good." TNH
    okay, I have a blog

Huh. Book-editing.com lists this publisher as having filched copy from their site.

More trivia: Google matches the phone number to a name strikingly similar to the central character of most of the books pubbed by HL: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...300766-2221760 Author: "E. Ted Gladue". Sales rankings: miserable to none. Given what we see in the previews, I wouldn't rely on this company's "Editorial and Pre Publishing Evaluation Services".
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

I can't find any books published after 2005. If this company is still active, it's surviving off "Evaluation" fees.

ETA: Site's gone, but Mr. Gladue resumed publishing in '11 under both Harbor Lights Press and imprint Irish Lighthouse Press.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 04-09-2016 at 12:01 AM. Reason: updating w/o bumping
    ICAO
    ---------