• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agent] John Jarrold

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
John Jarrold does do paid editing/book doctoring, but keeps this entirely separate from the agenting business. I can only think that this is seen a suspect by whoever is deciding on the P&E ratings. I am generally a supporter of P&E, but in this case they are in error.

The_Burning_Quill

Registered
Reaction score
Y.A.

I see on his website that he says he doesn't take Y.A. scripts and that he is Adult Fantasy only.

This leaves me in a bit of a problem as my MS is something of a hybrid which straddles Urban Fantasy but with Y.A. range protagonists. I wrote it with adult readers in mind but have got feedback from my beta readers that it works equally well as a Y.A. novel.

My question is, if I submit it to J.J. as a Urban Fantasy (which it is), will he pass because it has teenage protagonists, even if it has complex, adult themes?

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
John Jarrold does do paid editing/book doctoring, but keeps this entirely separate from the agenting business. I can only think that this is seen a suspect by whoever is deciding on the P&E ratings. I am generally a supporter of P&E, but in this case they are in error.

agree.

I see on his website that he says he doesn't take Y.A. scripts and that he is Adult Fantasy only.

This leaves me in a bit of a problem as my MS is something of a hybrid which straddles Urban Fantasy but with Y.A. range protagonists. I wrote it with adult readers in mind but have got feedback from my beta readers that it works equally well as a Y.A. novel.

My question is, if I submit it to J.J. as a Urban Fantasy (which it is), will he pass because it has teenage protagonists, even if it has complex, adult themes?
'try it', but extremely unlikely, however if it is adult in it's approach, (gritty n smart, JJ likes work like Dresden or Reacher AFAIK) ,then he might.

Last edited:

The_Burning_Quill

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

I dropped John an email asking if it was OK and he said to submit and he would add it to the agency reading. He got back to me within the same day (remarkable).

The subject matter is quite gritty and 'adult' (somewhat similar to Dresden) so I thought it would be fine. I'm glad I checked with him first, though, rather than just sent it.

Catherine Greenall

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.co.uk
Agent John Jarrold

Does anybody now if John Jarrold is still operating?

I contacted him about representation in January 2015 and believe he replies within a few days. I have still heard nothing despite follows ups.. I used both of his email addresses.

Seeking an agent for my sci-fi novel trilogy.

Thanks!

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Does anybody now if John Jarrold is still operating?

I contacted him about representation in January 2015 and believe he replies within a few days. I have still heard nothing despite follows ups.. I used both of his email addresses.

Seeking an agent for my sci-fi novel trilogy.

Thanks!

He's very much still operating. He moved house just before Xmas though, so his email addresses might have changed.