• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agent] John Jarrold

MaryKaye

Does anyone know anything about John Jarrold in the UK? He runs both a literary agency and a book-doctor business, which is sometimes a red flag; on the other hand, his credentials are impressive. P&E has not heard of him.

Mary Kaye

Mark Lazer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marklazer.blogspot.com

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I know John Jarrold and he is utterly legitimate. He did a paid edit on my novel which I thought was very well worth it, and he represents a good friend of mine. He is a first class agent who has secured good deals for a number of his clients.
His blog is here http://jjarrold.livejournal.com/

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
waylander said:
I know John Jarrold and he is utterly legitimate. He did a paid edit on my novel which I thought was very well worth it, and he represents a good friend of mine. He is a first class agent who has secured good deals for a number of his clients.
His blog is here http://jjarrold.livejournal.com/

For any individual he will either do an EDIT, or he will REPRESENT the novel. He will NOT do both.

He is quite ethical and straight-forward in his dealings one of the Absolute Write board people recently was picked up by him; and I wish I had been.

Regards,
Scott

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
I queried him, and he asked for my first 6 chapters, like 20 minutes later. I've never seen an agent move that quick before.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
John Jarrold is brilliant, honest, and has a phenomenal grasp of literature.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
bloemmarc said:
Yes, it was. Does that mean he would be interested?
No, but since e-queries take less than 1 second to reach the agent, it's normal for agents to respond more quickly to your queries. That is what I asked.

Looking back on it, though, it was a stupid question :)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
6 chapters is the usual size of sample he asks for, I believe.

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
I believe that he is excellent, and await his reply with interest. I am wondering though, does he ask for samples of query he receives, or just the ones he's interested in?

waylander said:
6 chapters is the usual size of sample he asks for, I believe.

Popeyesays

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
His website says six chapters are acceptable, but I queried him without submission first, since that seemed like a big lump to dump on him.

Regards,
Scott

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Did he request your first six chapters then? Did he like them?

Popeyesays said:
His website says six chapters are acceptable, but I queried him without submission first, since that seemed like a big lump to dump on him.

Regards,
Scott

Popeyesays

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
bloemmarc said:
Did he request your first six chapters then? Did he like them?

Yes, I sent them. He did reject but his letter was kind and polite.

I dropped him a line to thank him for his thoughts and compliment him on his blogsite and to let him know that I did sell the book, and he kindly replied congratulating me and thanking me for kind words about his blog.

I like the man.

Regards,
Scott

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Well after talking with him a bit myself, and reading more about, how could you not like the guy?
I haven't heard back from him or Firebrand who told me to resubmit at the end of the summer, but I am expecting rejections. that way, you don't give your hopes up. When it does happen then, it's all the more special.

Popeyesays said:
Yes, I sent them. He did reject but his letter was kind and polite.

I dropped him a line to thank him for his thoughts and compliment him on his blogsite and to let him know that I did sell the book, and he kindly replied congratulating me and thanking me for kind words about his blog.

I like the man.

Regards,
Scott

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Who is Jon Courtenay Grimwood?

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
I am a big fantasy fan myself, but the only ones I have read mostly are Tolkein, King, and Rowling. I haven't heard of many others, but I am seeking to be a fantasy/SF writer myself, and have a trilogy I am trying to send out.

SJAB said:
Gargle!!!!Splutter!!!

He is a very talented SF writer. This is his site;

http://www.j-cg.co.uk/

I had the pleasure of listening to him speak at Eastercon this year.

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
John Jarrold has recently started a livejournal (here). I submitted to him once before and he read six chapters then requested the full MS before rejecting it.

But please don't all submit to him. I don't want the competition when I finish my current WIP...

:D

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I see how it is, kidding

mistri said:
John Jarrold has recently started a livejournal (here). I submitted to him once before and he read six chapters then requested the full MS before rejecting it.

But please don't all submit to him. I don't want the competition when I finish my current WIP...

:D

GeoffNelder

Registered
Reaction score
Website
geoffnelder.com
Five former clients of Hill & Hill have already sent queries to John in the last 4 days.
<br /><br /> Will the next one bundle eye-refresh drops too?

<br /><br />
Geoff

MildlyMiffed

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to him, after an e-query.

He said he'd get back to me as soon as possible - fingers and everythign else crossed over here, which makes walking difficult!

SJAB

Being edited for submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susanjboulton.com
bloemmarc said:
I am a big fantasy fan myself, but the only ones I have read mostly are Tolkein, King, and Rowling. I haven't heard of many others, but I am seeking to be a fantasy/SF writer myself, and have a trilogy I am trying to send out.

Bloemmarc; He is one of my favourite British SF writers, suggest trying Geoff Ryman, Justina Robson and Ken Macloud as well.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
bloemmarc said:
How can you call yourself a "big fan" if you're not widely read in the genre? How can you expect to write for a genre unless you're widely read in it?