Could you recommend a good modern horror novel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
The only time I have to read these days is during breaks at work. Reading at fifteen or thirty minute intervals in the break room, I'm going through one book every three weeks or so.

I'm asking for recommendations for contemporary horror fiction, besides those by Stephen King (I have to read outside of King, you see). Recently I picked up Life Expectancy by Koontz.

What can you suggest for a novel that would scare the hell out of me published in the last five/ten years? I'm open for nearly anything.

Thanks!

allen

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
Don't know about scare the hell out of you, but anything by Bentley Little is certainly fun reading. I reccommend The Ignored, or the Association. He's kind of hit or miss for me, but on a bad day he's still pretty good.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Douglas Preston/Lincoln Childs put out some good stuff. I like "Relic" and "Still Life With Crows." They've got exceptional characterization and superb tension. :)

John61480

The Elements of Style
Registered
Reaction score
You can try the novellas and short stories by Clive Barker. I think they are way better than his bigger horror fantasy books.I ahd tried one a long while back and wasn't able to properly visualize it at all. It was a pain to read. There are also a few books and short stories by Richard Matheson, who is a total breeze to read like Stephen King. I'd highly recommmend those.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
John61480 said:
You can try the novellas and short stories by Clive Barker. I think they are way better than his bigger horror fantasy books.I ahd tried one a long while back and wasn't able to properly visualize it at all. It was a pain to read. There are also a few books and short stories by Richard Matheson, who is a total breeze to read like Stephen King. I'd highly recommmend those.
I just read "Hunted Past Reason" by Matheson. Good book, although it ended kind of weakly.

John61480

The Elements of Style
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read that one. I've read stuff like Hell House, the one about a magician, Stir of Echoes etc. I always find he's got stuff that just pops out that I've never heard of. He's got so many short story compilations that I kinda wonder if he's just another Philip K. Dick. Every bookstore I go to, I make it a point to look to see if there's anything new.

Cabinscribe

Often ignored by muses
Registered
Reaction score
I just read "The Travelling Vampire Show", by Richard Laymon. I thought it was pretty good.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
Cabinscribe said:
I just read "The Travelling Vampire Show", by Richard Laymon. I thought it was pretty good.
I just got through with into the fire by Laymon. It was a great story, with lots of good ideas, but somehow he made it really, really suck. I don't know that I will even read another of his after that one.

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I'm not able to help you.

I don't think I've ever read an actual book that 'scared' me.

And I'm not reading a lot of 'horror' stuff right now, though I did just pick up a new Masterston novel called something like "Night Warriors" or something. It's at the end of a long list of books to read though.

I *am* enjoying "The Undead and Philosophy: Chicken Soup for the Soulless". Using vampires and zombies as illustrative guides to philosophical thought/principles. However, the guy writing about Vampirism and the path to vegetarianism lost credibility with his arguments when he argued in exactly a way that he claims one cannot argue effectively.

Oddly enough, I can't see any non-King 'horror' novels on my hardcover bookshelves. Hrmmmm....

Well, I guess there is 'The Historian' which I found to be lush and textured and a damned good read, leading to at least one serious habit change.

Rabe...

Marlowe

Duck of Death
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmovieplanet.com
Check out The Ruins- it's by the guy who wrote A Simple Plan (which was excellent), and while Plan was a thriller/character study, this one has more emphasis in horror. I'm about two thirds of the way through it, and it's a very quick read; I would've probably finished it by now, except I'm sort of distracted lately by my own work.

NYR94

The Association, The Policy or The Store by Bentley Little, anything by Richard Matheson.

night

Registered
Reaction score
A suggestion,you might wana try some anne rice books. Okay there not the world's scariest books,more focused on the life of vampires but they're certainly a good read and made me jump a few times. The first in the series is interview with the vampire.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
One Rainy Night by Richard Laymon was excellent and it scared the heck out of me. Very gory! I think it's an older book of his but I just read it. I definitely recommend it if you haven't read it yet.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll make list from the recommendations and try to make it to a bookstore or the library in the next few days.

If I can ever finish the garage door project, that is.

allen

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
BOOKS...

Underthecity,
You may want to try reading My Soul to Keep or The Living Blood by Tananarive Due. Or try Within the Shadows by Brandon Massey, which is sort of like Fatal Attraction, but the woman has supernatural powers! When I get published, I'll suggest mine!

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
PSYCHIC WARRIOR by David Morehouse. I found it by accident and can't say how easy it would be to locate, but definitely worth reading. It claims to be a true story of a soldier trained to do espionage via remote viewing in the CIA's Stargate program. The story comes across believable and terrifying, and had me deep in thought for several weeks.

Jack Nog

Brain-farts are useful too.
Registered
Reaction score
Any of Peter Straub. I just finished Floating Dragon and while I'm like many on here in that I haven't read a book that's scared the hell out of me, there were some things in there I found a little disturbing. So BONUS! :)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Jbal, a former stalwart here, recommended Gary Braunbeck to me. I've read three of his novels so far, and the guy blows me away. I'd recommend reading his In Silent Graves, probably the best horror novel I've read this year.

Shades of Humanity

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I'm not able to help you.

I don't think I've ever read an actual book that 'scared' me.

Unfortunately, neither have I. I've had books make me laugh, bawl my eyes out, keep me in high tension -- but none that made me afraid, or at least become perturbed at every little noise at night. It would be cool!

I'll be sure to check some of the recommendations listed above!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
While at Half Price I found a "new" author (new to me, I'd never heard of him before), Edward Lee. According to the back cover he is "the hardest of the hardcore horror writers." Whatever that means. But I'm finding this book, Monstrosity, interesting enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.