• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Dynasty Publishing Inc.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sonarbabe said:
Can I have toast with mine? I like toast with my eggs and spam. :)

It's not on the menu, dear.
1) Egg, Egg, Egg and Egg.
2) Spam, Egg, Egg and Egg
3) Spam, Egg, Spam and Egg
4) Spam, Spam, Egg and Spam

(God love all the Pythons)

Regards,
Scott

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Wow. If that page doesn't look like an info-mercial, I'll eat my hat.

Number one tip-off it's a vanity press - they're aiming the site at writers, not readers. By readers I mean customers. There's also no bookstore, so what's the product and where do they sell it?

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Oh fine! I choose #3. (I shall bring my own toast)

Though I don't see how anyone would want to turn a cartwheel over this idea. And once again, I'm snickering over Uncle Jim's comment.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Spam in a can...... ? That post is like a can of opened spam thats fallen on the floor and cover in hair, no one is willing to touch it.

Sonarbabe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
:eek:

Okay, I better stop with my love for the real Spam before Victoria gets upset and gives us another thread in the TIO forum. I have nothing constructive to add, therefore, I'm going to scoot.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sonarbabe said:
:eek:

Okay, I better stop with my love for the real Spam before Victoria gets upset and gives us another thread in the TIO forum. I have nothing constructive to add, therefore, I'm going to scoot.

Agreed! Me 2

Reaction score
NY - Out on "The Island" spring and summer - in HE
I can just imagine the ads on public access TV - "Are you a writer? Can you put more than five words together and form a sentence? Try the easy writer's test on our matchbook covers."

God I just love these non traditional publishers. Always a really good warning - run author run!

Might we inquire what your position at this non traditional outfit is?? Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited:

Popeyesays

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Saundra Julian said:
Ewwww.... Spam is made from elbows and a**holes!

That's a libelous remark.

There is very little elbow in Spam. Some lips, and cheeks and a**holes, but no elbow.

I would think the ads on public access television would probably run between 2 AM and 4 AM Monday through Friday. (a pathetic attempt to stay on topic)

Regards,
Scott

Sonarbabe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Okay! I promise, no more. In fact, I came back in here because I really do have something to say. I was looking through their FAQ and this tidbit caught my attention:

Our vision is to revitalize urban core by creating opportunities for those which have unrealized and underdeveloped gifts.

What exactly do they mean by "underdeveloped"? In my way of thinking (and yes, this may be cruel) I take it to mean either untalented or nowhere near publishable. Of course it's been stated that they're vanity, but that is probably the most creative way of saying no-talent I've ever seen.

Popeyesays

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sonarbabe said:
Okay! I promise, no more. In fact, I came back in here because I really do have something to say. I was looking through their FAQ and this tidbit caught my attention:

What exactly do they mean by "underdeveloped"? In my way of thinking (and yes, this may be cruel) I take it to mean either untalented or nowhere near publishable. Of course it's been stated that they're vanity, but that is probably the most creative way of saying no-talent I've ever seen.

It gives me little hope that the person who wrote that copy was going to offer to edit my manuscript.

Regards,
Scott

Sonarbabe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Be thankful of that considering under their services listing they offer "Copyrighting & ISBN Sssignment" to go along with their proofreading. ;)

Reaction score
If I'm reading this correctly, they are only offering "Print Company Access" as a part of this package. It never mentions anything anywhere about actually printing your book. It looks to me like they proof it, prep it for printing, then pick up afterward with the marketing strategies. Oddly for a company that call itself Dynasty Publishing, I see nowhere in the site where actual publishing of the book is mentioned. Little things like # of books in the print run, location of stores where it will be shelved.

"
Does Dynasty print books?
No. Dynasty creates the opportunity to print books based on high quality of work and cost of services. "

What exactly does THAT mean?

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
It means the site copy was written by someone who knows the language but has no facility with it. I'm thinking they fell into the classic marketing-ese trap of web design -- use as many glitzy words as possible without actually saying anything.

That particular example from their FAQ page caught my eye as well, but I was too stunned by the price list right below it to really register it properly. ;)

Last edited:

Sonarbabe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
I'm sorry, the whole thing reminds me of a bright pink blinking neon sign that screams: STAY AWAY! More to the point, they want to encourage the youth. Now, I'm all for young children writing and expressing their creative side. My daughter (who will be 9 at the end of Sept.) likes to write about dragons, but somehow, I find this message tacked on to an ad that promotes vanity press to be a bit tacky. I would find the message to be more possitive if it were on Random House's site or Simon & Schuster's. Maybe I'm wrong.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Their business plan: I pay them and they publish my book? That's VANITY PRESS to me.

The website sounds like it was outsourced to an ex-British colonial lowest bidding firm! It's painful to read.

They don't just tell us they have a "plan", or a "bold plan ", or even just a "new bold plan " They have a "a unique new bold plan "

"and unable to motion or speak"
"After being moved to a rehab hospital, depression set in."

There are other "Dynasty Publishing" companies around.
This one in Charlotte NC, http://thecharlottepost.com/07_06_arts.html has a contract with St. Martins Press for 20 books.

And call me cynical, but this phrase "With the support of local political, business and religious leaders" makes it sound like an investment pipe dream.

Reaction score
Sonarbabe said:
I'm sorry, the whole thing reminds me of a bright pink blinking neon sign that screams: STAY AWAY! More to the point, they want to encourage the youth. Now, I'm all for young children writing and expressing their creative side. My daughter (who will be 9 at the end of Sept.) likes to write about dragons, but somehow, I find this message tacked on to an ad that promotes vanity press to be a bit tacky. I would find the message to be more possitive if it were on Random House's site or Simon & Schuster's. Maybe I'm wrong.
I agree that it bothers me too that they seem to be courting young authors. Sounds like a really good way to get proud parents to part with a lot of their dough. Doesnt every parent think their kid is the best dancer/singer/soccer player/author -- whatever their niche may be? This seems to be playing right into the emotions of proud parents who want to publish Suzie's classic poetry anthology as a Christmas gift for the Aunts, Grandmas etc. Kind of "Your Kid Can be the Next Mattie Stepanek"

Interesting marketing strategy but it still spells scam and vanity press with some extra trimmings.

Kcshrimp

Registered
Reaction score
Here is how funny this is............................I joined dynasty(chalk me up to an idiot), and I do have a book that was put together. However it is not on one book store shelf.
:( oh well, I guess I can move forward from here, and it did put me on the road to discovering this site, which has been so helpful in everything else that I have almost been sucked into, but I checked it out here first. I guess I am trying to look at the glass as half full and not half empty to keep me going. In some strange way, the whole thing did push me forward, so I guess I can look at it that way without regret.

edgyllama

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Welcome!

It's a lesson learned. Move on and write a new, better book.

Their website is gone.

Kcshrimp

Registered
Reaction score
I am very glad their website is gone. It was embarrassing to me, because my book was on it. Thank you for the advice; it is a lesson learned. I am moving on.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Their home page is down, but the rest of the site's still there, such as Services

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Not only is the home page back, but Amazon shows they've been "publishing" steadily. Alas.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Aaaand they're gone again. Entirely this time, looks like.