• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Alicka Pistek Literary Agency

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
That's an interesting way to look at things, Edita. Writing is definitely a business, and you do have a good business plan.

I'm working with an e-publisher myself - Wild Child Publishing. I have a romantic suspense out through them, and a thriller series contracted to them. Ebooks are tough sells to readers sometimes, but you're right, it is a legitimate way to get your work out there.

I'm shopping my current project to agents for admittely self-serving reasons: I really like to hold books. :D But I love WCP -- they're a great group, very professional and dedicated to their authors.

And to comment on the OP, lest I get myself banned from this thread... I queried Alicka Pistek a while back (unfortunately with a novel that wasn't ready for publication, and I'm glad to realize that now), and she did get back to me with a form. So she does respond to equeries at least some of the time, though as her guidelines state, she reserves the right not to reply (which I still think is a bad business practice).

Edita A Petrick

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editapetrick.biz
How on earth is an agent going to judge your manuscript, unless he/she reads the full? And what is the difference between sending the full ms as a file or as hard copy, since it is going to be read by the same person, agent or assistant, anyway?

I have had at least two assistants for big agents read my ms and respond in detail. I think you are overly paranoid and shooting yourself in the foot.

Aruna - are you saying that an agent (a solid and seasoned pro) can't judge whether you can write, plot and execute a successful commercial novel from 50 pages and a plot synopsis...that an agent needs to see the whole m-script to do that...?

Nah. Not one of those conferences out there, not one workshop where solidly performing agents speak and hold court with hordes of aspiring writers, had an agent insist he/she needs to see the entire novel to decide whether he/she should take it on or sell it. Most agents in these workshops and conferences state that first FIVE pages will tell them all they need to know - which is whether or not to give the writer a contract.

Three years ago I queried Phillip Spitzer - who said: "I wish I could take this novel on. It's like 'Bloodwork' and I was an agent for that one. But I'm so swamped that most of the time I fear I'm not serving well those clients I already have."

The guy was dead-on - the novel was like Bloodwork - and he surmised that from a one-page query. Frankly, I'm suspicious of agents who ask to see a whole manuscript having read a plot synopsis and 50 sample pages. If they don't see from the synopsis the novel's structure, progression and resolution and don't see from 50 pages that it's well written, then they shouldn't be literary agents. I mean why else do they want to see the rest of the novel...? What else could they be possibly looking for...? If I say it's finished...does it mean they don't believe it? Not a good premise for agent-client relationship. Or do they think that author, having written solid prose for 50 pages will suddenly degenerate into illiterate bumpkin...? Surely the 50 pages will show how the writer handles dialogue and expository? Surely the synopsis will be elegantly detailed enough to lay out the story's progression to conclusion...so what's this need to see the rest without offering representation?

That was my point all along. I don't mind e-mailing 50-sample pages and a synopsis. But I want to know why the agent needs to see the rest if he's unsure (having duly read the 50 pages and the synopsis) about offering representation. Wouldn't you be at least a bit curious as to why...if the agent says he liked your 50-page work, liked your synopsis, likes the story...etc....so what-the-dilly...? Regards. Edita.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Any agent who does not read the full before granting representation is taking a very big chance. Not on whether the writer is capable, but whether the manuscript is ready. There could be serious problems with the continuity or the plot or the characterization or the ending that simply do not appear in the first five pages, three chapters, or whatever.

Yes, an agent can determine whether the writer has talent and whether it would be a good idea to offer representation based on just the first five pages, but a really good agent will check out the full first.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
OK; Ms. Pistek asked for the first 50 in an e-mail. I don't see where she refuses attachments on her site. If anyone's sent their work to her, was it attached or in the body of the e-mail?

Thanks.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Jodi, I'd say if she wants pages via e-mail, do an attachment. I've never had anyone who requested a partial complain about an attachment, and pasting 50 pages into an e-mail would be a pain in the butt -- both to do, and to read.

Good luck on the read! :D

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Aruna - are you saying that an agent (a solid and seasoned pro) can't judge whether you can write, plot and execute a successful commercial novel from 50 pages and a plot synopsis...that an agent needs to see the whole m-script to do that...?

What Dave said. A lot of writers give a lot of care and attention to the first 50 pages, polish thos pages till they shine - and the rest of the book goes downhill from there. I have read several published books that do this. If I were an agent I would certainly want to read the whole thing.

And the reality is simply there: agents - 99% of them - DO want to read the whole manuscript before taking on a client.

Nah. Not one of those conferences out there, not one workshop where solidly performing agents speak and hold court with hordes of aspiring writers, had an agent insist he/she needs to see the entire novel to decide whether he/she should take it on or sell it. Most agents in these workshops and conferences state that first FIVE pages will tell them all they need to know - which is whether or not to give the writer a contract.

Yes, an agent can tell in the first five pages - but in practice, they ALL insist on a full manuscript. I have never heard an agent say anything else, and I've done a lot of researching. I've had agents read partials, ask for fulls, and then decline; that's because the rest of my ms, in their opinion, did not live up to the beginning. Agents who will routinely offer representation on a partial are few and far between. In fact, I've never heard of one. (Though there may be exceptions)

Frankly, I'm suspicious of agents who ask to see a whole manuscript having read a plot synopsis and 50 sample pages.

Then you must be suspicious of ALL agents, even those at the very top - because they all do it.

Your method - start with an ebook and work up - may work for you, but it's not something I would choose to do or eveen COULD do. I am notmuch of a business person, and I am really, really not into marketing. Yes, I will do it, but only on the shoulders of a strong publisher. My way is to start at the top and work down - first the big publishers, then, if nothing else works, look around for other alternatves.

I have a manuscript under the bed that was turned down by top agents and one top UK publisher in 2005. I know a small publisher that would certinaly snap it up - its a regional publisher for the Caribbean, and as a previously pubpished author with good sales I have no doubt they'd love my historical novel on Guyana. But I did not submit it there. I am waiting to see what happens with my NEXT book - again, aiming for the top first, and working down, building sales for that, and THEN resubmitting.

Because I am not much of a businessperson, I want an agent. An agent can get me a better deal, with a better publisher and a better advance; she can sell foreign rights and maybe even film rights. Sure, if you work hard you can get all these things on your own, but you as the author would have to work your ass off to get the deals s that an agent can get you with right off the bat, and the distribution, publicity and sales a big publisher can get. If you're young and dynamic and full of self-promotion skills - which, frankly, many writers aren't (we tend to be an introspective lot) - go ahead, but at the age of 55, with dependents and bills to pay, two mortgages and an ill husband, I simply do not have that kind of time and energy. Apart from the fact that I am selling my book in the US, and I live in Europe!

I also noticed that majority here are in awe of agents...but agents are just middlemen, what they do is business and if any other small business treated its potential customers the way literary agents treat theirs, they'd be in bankruptcy in a matter of weeks. Conform to what agents want, bend backwards to accommodate them lest they label you difficult...as if the agents were the ultimate gatekeepers to the great publishing dream.
(my bold)

Writers are not the customers of agents. We are the suppliers. As in every business, it's a question of supply and demand; there are far more writers and manuscripts than agents so the agent gets to call the shots. Any business with an oversupply of raw products will pick and choose for the very best. It's up to the suppliers - ie authors - to offer products - manuscripts - the business thinks it can sell.

So yes, agents have every right to make demands as to how they want to receive manuscripts. Most of the stuff that gets thrown at them is crap, so who can blame them for trying to make their own lives easier?

Agents can afford to be choosy and in fact HAVE to be choosy simply because they are swamped with manuscripts. They ARE the gatekeepers; big publishers want them there because otherwise THEY would be swamped. That's just the reality.

And many of them are not, indeed, small businesses but powerhouses in themselves.

Of course, the moment a "hot" manuscript pops up out of the slush the tables are turned... then it's the author who has the power to pick and choose, make demands, and bestow favours.

So that's what it all boils down to: either write a manuscript that everyone wants, play by the rules until they discover you - or do it all yourself, up the rock face, as you are doing. Very few writers can or want to do the latter.

I do not worship at the altar of agents; but I've had three great ones and I respect them immensely for what they can do and have done for me.

By the way, in most European countries authors do not have agents. There, it's a different set of rules entirely.

Last edited:

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! I thought it would be painful to try to read a 50 page e-mail.

Thanks again.

Hi Jodi,
How did it work sending the attachment? Did you hear back? I too am hesitant to copy and paste 50 pages into the body of an email.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't heard anything back from her. My full is with an editor who asked for it and a partial is with another editor who requested it at the RWA conference. I'm waiting to hear from them before I do any more agent-looking. I figure it might be easier to get an agent if I say this book's already sold.

Thanks for asking. And good luck with your submission.

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Jodi. Good luck with the editors.

Hobbes

Sneaky. In a good way.
Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I sent a query and a few sample chapters to Ms. Pistek last year and received a rejection about a month after I expected to hear from her. At least I received an answer though.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything from this agent lately?

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Bumping this thread for new info. AQ says Pistek is currently not accepting queries and her website looks a bit flaky.

Laptoponthecouch

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there!

Does anyone have any recent experiences with this agency? I wanted to query but can't find any submission email address, despite the fact that they only take submissions via email.

There's an address under subsidiary rights, but is it the same?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Just wanted to note that I queried this agent using two different email addresses and got a "failure to deliver" kicked back both times. Given the lack of response people are getting, I'm thinking she's disappeared.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
AQ has this agent listed as not currently accepting unsolicited queries

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
AQ has this agent listed as not currently accepting unsolicited queries

That is true, Waylander, about what AQ states, but the agency's site still welcomes queries, which also invites fiction subs to include the first 3 chapters (or up to 50 pages), presumably in the body of the email. I see no blurb on the site about being closed to subs, though, just like you, I did see it on AQ.

Here's the agency's site: www.apliterary.com

Also, note that they are closed to snail mail queries, and require all queries to be via email.

Hope this helps!

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Maddie, note on the bottom of AP's website it says copyright "2005-2006." Considering we haven't heard a peep about requests or sales in years, I would take an educated guess that the site hasn't been updated in a long time.

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Maddie, note on the bottom of AP's website it says copyright "2005-2006." Considering we haven't heard a peep about requests or sales in years, I would take an educated guess that the site hasn't been updated in a long time.

Thanks, SteveCordero. On a side-note the QueryTracker site does not indicate that AP Literary is closed to submissions. I wonder where the word came from (possibly the 'horse's mouth'?) and posted to AQ regarding the agency being closed to submissions. But you're right, I saw your comment on QT 2/17/11 - that this agency's page on PM is closed. You can find the agency listed under 'contacts' on PM, but not the page as a 'member'.

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Could be she's out of business. But if she is, why maintain a company website then, especially one that's in such bad shape? Puzzling.

That fact is baffling. Her last project was in 2006. Even if she didn't report to PM, you'd think an active agent would update her site with current sales.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Last sale reported on PM is for '10, and I'm not finding an recent activity elsewhere.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
One of the things you might consider is that some really good agents are starting to recognize the benefits of electronic communication. It saves postage for the writer and time for both parties. Kristin Nelson does absolutely everything electronically, for example.

I just had a very pleasant exchange with Janet Reid. She requested a partial (via e-mail) -- she had to say no because it wasn't her genre *sniffle*, but she did refer me to another agent.

I think it's more important to worry about the agents' reputation than the method of submission. As long as you've already done your research and you know the agent is legit, it's just easier all around to do what they ask. Miss Snark has a lot to say on this topic. :D

Best of luck to you, Edita!

Wow. Reading my own posts from FIVE YEARS AGO really screws with my head. Especially since equeries are now the norm, rather than the exception. And oh, beloved Miss Snark... :)

On another note -- Caopaux, thank you for this exhaustive yearly review of B&BC. You are awesome. :D