Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Dog Litter

Hybrid View

Dog Litter

I hadn't heard of this...Purina has a housetraining litter solution for dogs under 35lbs called secondnatureŽ. http://doglitter.com

I never thought dogs would use litter, but they seem to have success stories (they have a contest for the best success stories).

Troubled-Talks with animals. jdkiggins's Avatar
    The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and nowhere to go.
    I'd heard of it only recently, oarsman, but I have no success story. By the time they came out with this, my baby was seven years old and used to going outside.

Sounds like a great product for new puppies, though. Hope someone else has a success story they can send in.
    Joanne aka: writeafterdark
    PERSEVERANCE: TO PERSIST IN SPITE OF DIFFICULTIES ~jdk

Poise--the art of raising an eyebrow instead of the roof.

Not harboring illegal parrot awatkins's Avatar
    Thanks for posting this, oarsman!

Knows notebooks can kill. BlueBadger's Avatar
    I'd like to do an article about this stuff sometime. I've heard around about it, and I'm intrigued. I wonder about the success rate of litter-training a dog. Cats instinctively know what to do when they are in an area of soft sand, etc. Dogs on the other hand are all about, "Oh boy!" *dig dig dig*

It'd probably make a huge mess.

Wow, that's really interesting. Thanks for the post.

in a van down by the river eldragon's Avatar
    I hope that doesn't mean Purina thinks dogs and cats require the same exercise.

Dogs aren't meant to be cooped up inside an apartment or house all day. Taking them for a daily walk is vital to their health and happiness, whether it's a Chihuahua or Great Dane.
    Pam

Not harboring illegal parrot awatkins's Avatar
    Check out the link, Pam. All the product info, plus lots more, is there. And no, I don't believe that Purina thinks like that.

Cat slave extraordinaire! Lady Cat's Avatar
    I've known people who litter trained their rabbits, and I have a cat that uses the toilet. So why not litter train a dog?

I'll have to tell my mother-in-law about this. She has a tea-cup pomeranian.
    If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad.
    ~Lord Byron

My Blog: http://randomwriterlythoughts.blogspot.ca
    Find my books here: http://randomwriterlythoughts.blogsp.../my-books.html

practical experience, FTW
    For goodness sake, if you have the type of dog that seems reasonable to litter train....maybe you should stick to cats.
    So, what size litterbox do I buy my Saint Bernard? Anyone else have the visual?

in a van down by the river eldragon's Avatar
    Right. I have a Great Pyranees. Somehow I don't think his litter box would add to the decor of my home.

Strangely enough - dog poop sometimes smells better than cat poop. Since cats eat only meat - it tends to reek.

The best case scenario, in my opinion, is to have all the animals do their business outside.

That is what allows me to have 12 cats and two dogs. I have one litter box inside the house, because 3 cats sometimes come in. (Through the attic window that has a fan in it .........then they drop down the AC ductwork into the pantry.)
    Pam

I never had to train my rabbit...he knew right away what the litterbox was for.

I ran across some plans to build the ultimate dog "litter" box. This guy took a shower unit and cut it down to size. It doesn't use litter since it has it's own plumbing. I can't imagine explaining this fixture if you were selling your house!

Here's the dog using the "box":

boxuse

Last edited by oarsman; 09-14-2006 at 03:51 AM.

Both hilarious and disturbing.
    I pity the dogs that have to use a litter box. It seems so undignified.

You want me to write what? sdarb's Avatar
    No kidding, cree. It's just not, well, doggie. They like to sniff and poke around before, well, you know!
    "Know something, sugar? Stories only happen to people who can tell them."
    Allan Gurganus

I would have to put some plants around the box to at least give the dog a sense of being outside.

How odd. I was watching a show on HGTV about new products for pet owners - and one was a doggie port-a-pot for taking along (God knows where). It was a little box of dirt with a patch of real grass growing on top.

Now, at first I thought "Okay, for those RVers" but then it dawned on me, my Mother being an RVer with a dog, that the great outdoors IS the port-a-pot.

I can't figure what they'd need this thing for, unless they're thinking they don't want to get up and take puppy outside, where dogs are supposed to go.

It's exactly that let dog in, let dog out, walk dog twice daily, that keeps me a cat person

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightMuse
    Now, at first I thought "Okay, for those RVers" but then it dawned on me, my Mother being an RVer with a dog, that the great outdoors IS the port-a-pot.
    Unless they are those RVers who set up in the Wal-Mart parking lot and call it a vacation. In which case, the dog has bigger problems than where to go to the bathroom...
    I think such a contraption must be for the disabled.... or for the lazy people who buy a furnace-filter-looking thing and name it Tinkerbell.

practical experience, FTW Dollywagon's Avatar
    It may come in handy for one of my goats, because he pees in the cat litter tray. Self taught as well.

Just thought I'd mention it...