• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Authors Ink Books (AIB)

Terre

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on Authors Ink Books? Are they like Publish America, do they charge a fee or anything like that? I am new to this website, but I am finding so any avenues to cruise down on and wander around. Thank you in advance for any information you can give me.

TerreT.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
I don't believe they charge a fee...but I've never checked.
Though, looking at their FAQ page, I'd have to say the number of (pleasant) differences with PA is staggering...

Many of their authors (and the owner I believe) frequent Mindsight, which may be a good place to get some answers as well...

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
As long as you're writing PG-13 Romance, they should be fine. They take a little Horror-but they're picky about it, and they have children's line apparently written by children-which is cool.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I'll go look, but first the standard questions:

Have you ever personally read one of their books? Has anyone you know read one? Did you or your friend like the book?

Is the book in bookstores? (Not "available in" bookstores, actually in them.)

Are their books reviewed by major reviewers (Booklist, Kirkus, Publishers Weekly, Library Journal/School Library Journal)? Have they won any awards? Appeared on "Year's Best" lists?

What do their books' sales numbers look like on Amazon? What numbers do you hear when you call Ingram's automated stock number on a random selection of their books?

(The rule of thumb for Amazon numbers (and this is very rough, but Amazon numbers themselves are very rough): A seven-digit number works out to one sale per year. A six digit number works out to one sale per month. A five digit number is approximately one sale per week. A four digit number is one sale per day. A three digit number is one sale per hour.)

How did you hear about these folks?

What are your personal goals as a writer? Do you have objective criteria to know if you've achieved those goals? Does what you've learned about them in the steps above match what you want to achieve?

Popeyesays

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
They have six books out, three of them are by the same author: Gloria Davidson Marlow. The Butterfly Game ranks at more than two million-one sale a year or so? Flowers for Meagan is ranked at almost 3,000,000. Shades of Silence is the best performer with a rating of 2,010,000.

Not that promising.

Regards,
Scott

Terre

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you James D. Macdonald for posing such questions. And thanks to the rest of you who took the time to answer my question. To be honest, I've never even thought about looking on those sites (like Amazon) and I probably wouldn't know what the numers meant if I did look there. I really appreciate the lessons. I heard about them while on the internet looking for publishers.
Writing has always been a part of me, well since highschool, over twenty years ago. Two years ago, I've been sending out Query and Synopsis letters. My goal is to write for Harlequin, but getting them to even look at the novels is the hard part as my Query comes back as a thank you but it doesn't meet our current needs. But I keep trying and am grateful to have found this web site. It was passed on to me by a fellow Harlequin writer.

Once again Thank You.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Their "About AIB" page doesn't look encouraging. Another inexperienced startup publisher trying to do an end run around the realities of bookselling and marketing.

It seems clear that AIB is well-intentioned, but to me it's equally clear that it has minimal ability to market and distribute its books. Despite the good intentions, sales and exposure with this publisher will probably be equivalent to what you'd get with PA.

- Victoria

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
I DO!!

Christine N. said:
I think our own Allen Parker has a book coming out with AIB in October.

I do. We are currently waiting for cover art to finish up.

I am enjoying the work with AIB, but I know the limitations I place on a book company. Nudist humor is a VERY small niche market. I do have some spill over into the mainstream, the bulk of all of my sales is through nudist venues.

That said, niche markets play well in small presses.

As for working, LaurieAnn is stiving for reviews at the larger places, (LJ nad PW, etc) but as the books reach completion too close to release dates, it is not going to happen for me.

For those that might be interested in some information on AIB, just PM me and I would be happy to talk candidly about AIB. BUT, so far, so good.

AND WORLDS AHEAD OF MY PA BOOKS!
awp

PODLINGMASTER

Never trust a bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.podlingmaster.blogspot.com
Terre said:
Does anyone have any information on Authors Ink Books? Are they like Publish America, do they charge a fee or anything like that? I am new to this website, but I am finding so any avenues to cruise down on and wander around. Thank you in advance for any information you can give me.

TerreT.

As a reviewer,

I had a submission from an author that I believe was with this publisher. Evidently all of his books were about Nudist.
Uhmm...better do some serious investigation on them before doing anything else. Not that Nudist humor isn't all the rage, but I would be apprehensive about having my book associated with all of that.

Podlingmaster

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
What's wrong with nudist humor? It sounds like a situation rife with comedic potential to me (and the kind of thing you see on the whirly rack next to the cash register at the B&N). Or is "Nudist Humor" slang for something mah virgin eahs probably shouldn't hear about? :D

Terre

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my question. All information is valuable and I didn't know about the nudest humor theme in this book line. Mine is a reasonably clean novel and it is something to think about when finding a place for this novel. After almost signing with PA. (which a dear writer friend stopped me before I signed with them), I am so glad that I found this site and you guys and girls are the best.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Is there anything unclean about nudism? On would think personal hygeine would get extra attention under those circumstances.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I know some very straight-laced people who are nudists. Nudism has nothing to do with morality. And as Veinglory said, nudists are generally cleaner than "textiles".

astonwest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Apart from the hygeine aspects of nudists, I'd also say that one shouldn't think a publisher (in general) only publishes certain genres based on one particular book in their line.

Certainly, there are some publishers who stick to a particular genre, but I'm reading another book from an AIB author, and it's not nudist humor...

gloriamarlow

*******They have six books out, three of them are by the same author: Gloria Davidson Marlow. ************

That would be me.

I have three books out with AIB. Is that a bad thing?

Last year at this time, The Butterfly Game and Shades of Silence were both around 75,000 on amazon. Not a bestseller, but certainly better than they are now. A month or two ago, they were both ranked in the 6 figures.

According to my royalty statements which I receive each quarter, my titles are selling at about a rate of 1 of each title per month. This is from all sources, and not that impressive I know, but still, better than nothing. Some months more sell and some less, but that they are still selling 2 years after publication is good in my opinion. At first, of course, they sold quite a few more than 1 a month.

PA and AIB are two very different animals. AIB is not in any way, shape or form a vanity publisher. The author does not pay to have their book published. The publisher pays for the right to publish the book. The author is not expected or encouraged to buy copies of their own book, although they are offered a discount if they do buy them. The author is given a nice number of complimentary copies to do with as they please. The author is kept well informed of the publishing process and the book is line edited. There is also a marketing plan. It isn't a very elaborate one, of course. But it is there. I imagine it is different for each book/author, so I won't go into what mine consisted of, but I know it happened and I know that it probably costed the publisher more than it made them. Hopefully that isn't the case with everyone. I know that at any event/opportunity I was involved in, AIB was always extremely helpful in getting me what I needed and helping promote it. The books submitted to them are always read and either rejected or accepted on the book's merit.

A small new publisher is not for everyone. I was excited to have The Butterfly Game be AIB's first book. I was pleased with them and had them publish Shades of Silence. When Flowers for Megan was released from PA, I was glad to have them publish the new and improved version of it.

The owner of AIB is very serious about the quality of the books she releases. This is one reason the company has grown rather slowly. She loves books and wants her company to be known by its quality.

I can also attest that the article on "People Before Profit" that you will find on the AIB website is practiced.

I hope to see AIB grow to its full potential and become a viable player in the publishing industry. Not as a vanity, but as an honest to goodness publisher.

Here are my answers to James MacDonald's questions just so you know how my own experience has been.

I'll go look, but first the standard questions:

Have you ever personally read one of their books? Has anyone you know read one? Did you or your friend like the book?

I've read both of Joyce Scarborough's books and was pleased with them. If you would like to read one of mine, let me know and I'll send one along. Like all authors, I am improving with each book and Shades of Silence would be my pick, although I've actually had a lot of good reviews for The Butterfly Game.

They are available in some bookstores but are not in all bookstores. They've been marketed to bookstores across the country, but I have no idea if any of them stock them.

Are their books reviewed by major reviewers (Booklist, Kirkus, Publishers Weekly, Library Journal/School Library Journal)? Have they won any awards? Appeared on "Year's Best" lists?

They have not been reviewed by major reviewers, although as Allen said, it is being worked on. Mine have been reviewed by Myshelf.com and Midwest Book Review. I know many others were contacted.

I wish they would win some awards. That would be nice. I don't know how prestigious it is in literary circles, but The Butterfly Game was on Dennis Collins' Best list for 2004 at myshelf and Flowers for Megan was on Claudia VanLydengraf's in 2005.

What do their books' sales numbers look like on Amazon? What numbers do you hear when you call Ingram's automated stock number on a random selection of their books?

The number "4" is very popular when I listen to my own, but it has been a while since I did.

(The rule of thumb for Amazon numbers (and this is very rough, but Amazon numbers themselves are very rough): A seven-digit number works out to one sale per year. A six digit number works out to one sale per month. A five digit number is approximately one sale per week. A four digit number is one sale per day. A three digit number is one sale per hour.)

This is a good explanation. I had often wondered that myself.

How did you hear about these folks?

What are your personal goals as a writer? Do you have objective criteria to know if you've achieved those goals? Does what you've learned about them in the steps above match what you want to achieve?

This right here is your number one thing to consider. For the moment, AIB helped me meet my objectives. I may not ever have another book published by them and I may have every book I ever write published by them (if they accepted them of course). This will all depend on where I want to go. The most amazing thing that has happened since I was published by AIB is that I have been contacted by complete and total strangers that bought my book, read it and enjoyed it. I would love to be able to support my family with my writing, but every time I recieve a "fan letter" I forget that. It is an amazing thing to know that people who have no vested interest in your book or your ego liked it so much they took the time to write you and say so. It is entirely up to you to decide what you want. It seems that you already know you want to write for Harlequin, so I would say keep at it.

Anyway, I tend to go off on tangents and I apologize. I don't often post here at all, don't even visit very often. I just thought I'd give my thoughts on this.

Gloria

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Hi Gloria!
No, not a bad thing to have three books with the same publisher - that's pretty common, as you probably know.

The reason it was questioned is that there are a few publishing companies out there that were created to published one person's books in particular. It might be the owner's books, or it might be the books of someone he believes in. Now, this can work out quite well, on occasion - for instance, Gray's Publishing here in Victoria, which was formed to publish the memoirs of a friend of Gray Campbell, and became a successful Canadian publishing house, though never large.
On other occasions, the publishing house fails, because the owner is too ambitious, or not ambitious enough, or doesn't have enough grounding in the business, or suchlike. Sometimes the owner 'turns to the dark side' and ends up asking money from authors in an effort to keep the business going.

So when a publisher with a limited list has a preponderance of books from one author, it raises a question. In this case, I think you've answered that question clearly, honestly, and politely. Thanks!
-Barbara

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
astonwest said:
Podling, meet Allen...Allen, Podling...

Hi Podlings!

Thanks for offering an opinion for us. It is great to see such varied opinions on different subjects.

BTW, if nudist humor is not to your liking, try one of Gloria's or Joyce's books. They are totally different in character.

Allen

astonwest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
I attempted to post to the thread this morning, but it started acting up just as I had to run off to work...sigh. So, I'll try again tonight.

Hey, Gloria...

Just to pipe in my two cents worth, I'll answer two of those same questions that I can answer from my own perspective, having read a pair of AIB books:

I read The Butterfly Game, and enjoyed it very much. I'm currently in the process of reading Shades of Silence. Thus far, I'd say TBG was better, but I haven't gotten that far into the other one yet. My wife also read TBG and enjoyed it as well.

Both books, I had to order as they weren't available on the racks of my local stores. TBG, I ordered through my local bookstore, and SoS was through Amazon.

Just a question for Gloria, but is the editing performed by the owner or does she have editors under contract?

AuthorsInk

from the horse's mouth

Good Day to you all. This thread was brought to my attention by some of my beloved authors. I always find it interesting to discover what buzz is out there, and this particular conversation begged for inclusion.

Please allow me to introduce myself. I am the previously-mentioned LaurieAnne, though most people shorten that to LA.

AIB does not charge fees. Charging fees would make me a vanity publisher. There is enough competition out there already that my authors don't need yet one more hurdle to clear. AIB is not necessarily a traditional publisher in that I do use print on demand technology due to the information listed on my About AIB page. The future goal is to leave said technology behind, but until then, it comes in quite handy.

Popeyesays has very obviously not read anything published by AIB to draw the conclusion of PG-13 romance. That is not meant to put anyone down; that is simply stating the facts. Joyce Sterling Scarbrough's Different Roads and Elura Coren's Jaded are both a far cry from 13. I hem-hawed around about letting my nearly 18-year-old daughter read either of those titles.

It is true that I am not fond of horror. I've not read a horror submission as of yet that I feel I could sell. That is not to say that the writing is substandard (unless the author is told such in their reply letter); that is simply to say that if I don't feel I could stand in a room with strangers and convince them to purchase your book, I will not put the AIB logo on it or my integrity at risk to publish it.

The bookstore battle......not easily won, but not one to simply lay down your sword and allow yourself to be run through. On an average of 30 marketing calls, I may receive a single positive response, and even then, it may or may not net an order. However, I figure if I bother the place enough, they might just give. I can say with all honesty that AIB has not received a single return from any bookstore to date. For being in business just a hair over 4 years, I'd say that's pretty good (and very obviously a fluke because returns are a hazard of the industry).

Amazon rankings only calculate the sales through Amazon. Very few of AIB sales are through Amazon, in reality, so those rankings do not necessarily reflect the true popularity of a title. I can tell you that I don't have a single title whose average is nearly so low. They are not in the rankings to challenge big New York houses, but nor are they so low as to muddle in the sewage from the campground.

Now, to reflect on the nudist humor of our own Allen Parker. I don't know if he still has my original response to his email query or not, but I was ridiculously hesitant to even look at his manuscript. I asked for a sample to be included in the body of an email becuase the idea was...well...very different for me. Once I read the sample, though, I was laughing so hard the persons outside my office stared at me as if I'd lost what little was left of my mind.

As Allen and Gloria both answered earlier, AIB is pursuing the more popular reviewers. We are also pursuing contests. Also as Allen noted, the books have been reaching completion too close to release. This is something that we continue to fine tune so that we can start competing in the larger market easier. Allen, as well as seven other authors on the upcoming list, happened to end up scheduled during the same time as my family had a personal crisis. That pulled me away from company work while I dealt with one of the hardest times of my life.

Victoria is right to offer a word of warning. What would be the purpose of these sites if not to help you decide which would be your best avenue?

AIB is a start-up company. I do have nearly a decade of publishing experience, though not all in books. I incude a word of warning for every author to whom I offer a contract. I list the challenges they will face and am extremely up front regarding the size and ability of AIB to meet their expectations. I don't want someone to sign the contract expecting to be flown all over the country for grand venues of publicity when that will not happen.

I have noticed a trend in those authors who have accepted contracts from AIB, as well. Most, if not all--I haven't researched some of my more recent acquisitions yet--have previously signed with PA, WinterWolf or another such small publishing house. I cannot comment on anything regarding their experiences with WW, but I do understand that they are more willing to take a risk on such a small company because of the treatment they have received at the hands of some of my competition.

I and AIB are not out to make millions--though obviously, I wouldn't whine if I did. Nor are we out to compete with the likes of JK Rowling. Again, obviously, I would love to be able to do so, but I currently lack the ability to both market on such levels and to match the demands required for such an undertaking. My authors will also tell you--and I encourage direct honesty with all--that things move slowly at AIB.

To answer astonwest, dear, regarding who does the editing at AIB. At the present, I do the editing. I have contracted out to two separate individuals for assistance with certain projects where I feel they would be better suited to review particular aspects, but for the majority of all, LA runs the show.

Now, unfortunately, I've already lost an hour of my day while skipping back up through the posts here to make certain I have addressed the issues noted, and I truly must get back to work.

Blessings,
LA

Popeyesays

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, Author's Ink about the PG-13 comment; however, I have written some erotica and your guidelines seem to suggest PG-13 to me, perhaps they should e rated 'M' for Mature?

When I was 10 my mother took me into the library and insisted they give me an adult card (back in the day when libraries could set their own policies and make them stick). I don't restrict my daughters from reading anything, never have.

Regards,
Scott