• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Yahoo group] Born2Write

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
Anybody heard of this website? I just got an email, out of the blue, inviting me to join. I get nervous with this kind of thing - like, how did they find me....

Carlene

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
URL's help a lot.
When I call up www.Born2write.com, all I get is a placeholder at planetary domains.

Regards,
Scott

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Carlene said:
Anybody heard of this website? I just got an email, out of the blue, inviting me to join. I get nervous with this kind of thing - like, how did they find me....
Sometimes, spammers get addresses from newsgroups or websites where you've posted your address. (I don't think they can do that with addresses on AW because of the way they're stored.) I've posted on writing newsgroup, so sometimes people thinks that gives them the right to send me spam about their writing scams. (They've got as much right to do so as the other idiot spammers.)

Also, spammers often buy lists of e-mail addresses from vendors. And many spammers today use software that generates addresses automatically simply by combining letters and numbers in combination with ISP names. Those are the ones who annoy me the most.
:rant:

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
If that's the site, Yahoo Groups are mostly private, and there's no fee. You were probably invited by another member.

It's a very BUSY group.

Regards,
Scott

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
James D. Macdonald said:
Oh! Aha! If it was a YahooGroup, maybe Carlene has her account set up so that other members are allowed to send her invites to their group. I get those now and then because people know me from the group I moderate. YahooGroups has a Help page explaining how you can block people from being able to invite you to join a group.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
If it was the Yahoo Group, activity diminished after '09, and has been negligible since '14.